Cat friendly mooring at Keadby needed

LadyG

Featured Posts

I've been boating all day, from Thorne where I was able to let Fernando out, but there were no moorings en route, the foliage has not been cut (it's four foot high), and a few attempts to moor on pins failed due to shallow edges.

I'm at the power station overnight, Will I be able to find a cat friendly mooring between here and the services at Keadby? 

He needs to get out ,  it's just his nature, and I need to get a new phone delivered, do Amazon send them to locker.

tx 

Jo

PS thank the Lord, the trains have stopped running every four minutes!

Edited by LadyG

There are moorings the other side of the rail bridge, but not really more cat friendly.

Cat will probably enjoy it more when you've moved down the Trent. Loads of space on the fields above the pontoon at Torksey, and most of the non-tidal Trent moorings are rural...

Amazon deliveries to lockers are usually good, am sure they do phones too

• Happy 1

I wouldn't call the moorings at Keadby lock very cat friendly. There is the road near by and the rail line.

Once you are out on the Trent you will have more cat friendly options. Torksey Lock cut, Dunham Bridge  and Cromwell spring to mind.

• Happy 1

Hi, thanks I've found one right opposite the East end of power station, past the railway,   moored tight, plenty of bushes and no rail track, though their is still a lot of train related noise.

The Vazon sliding rail bridge seems to operate on demand from 07.00. I spoke to the operator ( CRT stoppage notice is not updated timeously) essentially, it won't be opened if temperature too high.

I'll have to do a bit of shopping, then book passage through Keadby on to West Stockwith.

Edited by LadyG

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The Vazon sliding rail bridge seems to operate on demand from 07.00. I spoke to the operator ( CRT stoppage notice is not updated timeously) essentially, it won't be opened if temperature too high.

I'll have to do a bit of shopping, then book passage through Keadby on to West Stockwith.

I was in Thorne (just- Blue Water Marina) on Saturday- no wait at the Sliding Bridge again -it was opened as I approached it. 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Hi, thanks I've found one right opposite the East end of power station, past the railway,   moored tight, plenty of bushes and no rail track, though their is still a lot of train related noise.

If you are going up the Chesterfield I'm not sure if the wall in Worksop that fell into the canal has been fixed yet. Fairly sure it hasn't so that will limit your cruising range.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

If you are going up the Chesterfield I'm not sure if the wall in Worksop that fell into the canal has been fixed yet. Fairly sure it hasn't so that will limit your cruising range.

No problem, I'm quite used to the vagaries of stoppages  and their quirks, I take it in my stride, in

3 hours ago, haggis said:

You going back to the Chesterfield or moving further south? 

General trend is south, I got so tired on the S&K that I needed a few days R&R. I know I was locked down on the Chesterfield, and water was in short supply, but I think it will reward a return, lots of wildlife.

4 minutes ago, J R ALSOP said:

I thought that the Chesterfield had just been shut with low water levels

I don't always believe everything the CRT stoppages broadcast. The lock should be open, and then we'll see what 's what

5 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Was that bl00dy footbridge behaving itself?

The footbridge is not for the naive, I was able to observed both the contractors and the CRT operating it over two days  The idea is to push the little LH gate, then cross over and set up that side, return to operating side, re set the little gates, press button. .

Anyway, I just lined the boat up and smiled sweetly, lo and behold the bridge opened :) No sweat.

Looks like you can get by the damaged wall in Worksop on a Wednesday and Friday.

"Update on 14th June: Due to an increase in booking requests C&RT has extended assisted passage to Wednesdays and Fridays, between the hours of 9.30 & 15.00. To allow them to allocate resources, please book passage with at least 48 hours notice via 03030 404040"

19 hours ago, enigmatic said:

There are moorings the other side of the rail bridge, but not really more cat friendly.

Cat will probably enjoy it more when you've moved down the Trent. Loads of space on the fields above the pontoon at Torksey, and most of the non-tidal Trent moorings are rural...

Amazon deliveries to lockers are usually good, am sure they do phones too

Up?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Up?

Turn right at Keadby.

I think I had that phone problem before as they like a handover, with a photo I think 

I'll manage for a few days, might try Three in Scunthorpe, but I'm easily bamboozled, by technology which is why I  tend to prefer Amazon. I think one needs to upgrade regularly as the software gets more and more greedy.

Edited by LadyG

11 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Was that bl00dy footbridge behaving itself?

FWIW the trick that seems to work involves waggling the pedestrian gates before turning the key and trying to shut them. If they are not in precisely the right open position they don't unlock and so can't be shut.

took me and the boat behind 15 minutes of trying and failing and not getting any help from any of the official numbers before asking at the adjacent boatyard

locals crossing told us with some amusement that it had only been "fixed" the day before :)