The Voyages of Magpie the Elder....

Featured Posts

Not over the same timescale, but I prepared the attached to show the journeys of Fulbourne since 2014. At present it only goes up to 2019. We haven't done a lot of boating since then due to the pandemic and a few months out of the water being rebottomed, but I really ought to update it. (Click on Legend and you can turn individual years on and off).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1cvgFcylqgCJyUijVgKFNTGdOCAI&usp=sharing

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Dad recorded nearly all his voyages (mostly with mum, @1st ade and me) on a canal map mounted on pin board in his office ("den" would have been a better term) - each night afloat recorded with a pin - the map is still up, given interest in the history of holiday boating I thought some of you might enjoy it!

20230622_144325.jpg

20230622_144334.jpg

20230622_144345.jpg

After dad died, I realised his last holiday hadn't been recorded - We took him on a Bruce Trust boat on the K&A. So I added that one in white pins

20230622_144351.jpg

Edited add - drawing pins (except those at the corners of the plan!) who some of the places we took our car top dinghy - those were day trips

I like that

37 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Not over the same timescale, but I prepared the attached to show the journeys of Fulbourne since 2014. At present it only goes up to 2019. We haven't done a lot of boating since then due to the pandemic and a few months out of the water being rebottomed, but I really ought to update it. (Click on Legend and you can turn individual years on and off).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1cvgFcylqgCJyUijVgKFNTGdOCAI&usp=sharing

Thanks- that's exactly what I have been looking for. Next step working out how to do it!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

After dad died, I realised his last holiday hadn't been recorded - We took him on a Bruce Trust boat on the K&A. So I added that one in white pins

Did we only have six nights on that trip?

You will need a larger map if you include the European trips on the Kingdom Tours boats. Not sure if I did all of the ones Ian and Joan were on, but I remember they missed the Stuttgart year because they were on an 'eclipse' tour in Cornwall. We got a better view of the eclipse in Germany than they did, because of the cloud. Ian complained a bit when we discussed this on the next trip.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Thanks- that's exactly what I have been looking for. Next step working out how to do it!

Briefly:

1. Set up an account with Google My Maps.

2. Look online for a kml file of the navigable waterway network, then edit it in Google Earth to suit (I deleted the Scottish Waterways for example), and save the edited version as a new kml.

3. Set up your routes in canalplan then export them as kml files.

4. On Google My Maps import the various kml files. Edit things such as title and line colour as required (or maybe I did this in Google Earth earlier - can't remember). You will find they are layered in the order you input them, so after playing with it for a while you will probably have to delete the kml files from My Maps then reimport them in the right order.

5. Select the share options if you want other people to be able to view your map.

Give it a go!

• Greenie 2

Magpie Patrick. I'm sorry to hear of the demise of your father whom I worked for from about 1974 for a few years when I started out on a 'teaching' career. I had no idea just how involved in the waterways he was. As I remember, he was supportive of a staff trip I organised for an evening on the Magic Lantern narrowboat when it was moored in Marple but didn't reveal much about his waterway passion in the workplace. Perhaps I wasn't at the school long enough or perhaps my memory is imperfect. I do know that 50% of all the schools I taught in were knocked down - you can work out the establishment from that.

• Greenie 1