Stone for a weekend trip

Bantam_dave

Featured Posts

Hi,

Is there a good resource for canal side pubs at all with maps?

we do our boating up north on the Trent, fossdyke and similar.

But are looking at a bit of a weekend break probably from Stone but slim chance of from Sowerby Bridge. Both yards offer a suggested route but interested in stops for beverages and food….

Or would I be better grabbing a Nicholson’s or Pearsons guide for whichever of the two we choose?

with thanks in advance

Edited by Bantam_dave

I prefer written books such as  nicholsons etc over tinternet anyday. However, they are less than useless with regard pubs, cafes, laundrettes etc etc etc as by the time they are printed, even if they are the very latest so called updated offerings, in todays climate the pub etc could well be closed down or indeed changed hands and no longer be correctly represented. I suggest looking at the route and googling pubs etc for the latest news, even the dreaded trip advisor, even though the contributers are mostly nonsense you will find if its still trading.

• Greenie 1

For the past couple of years I have been using various combinations of:

https://www.canalandriversidepubs.co.uk/

https://goodbeerguide.org.uk/find (I have a subscription - not sure how much is available free-of-charge)

and Google maps search for "pubs near me"

There have been lots of changes with pubs closing and - particularly - altering their opening hours over the past couple of years. It helps to have various sources to cross-reference and - if you're really keen on dining-out or drinking at a particular stop - ringing the establishment in advance to check.

At the start of may we had 10 days out from Sowerby Bridge, over the Rochdale and down towards Manchester.

Lots of disruption due to closed locks, lack of water over the summit, restrictions in Hebden Bridge, etc, but an excellent trip over my favourite Pennine crossing. Found good pubs most nights, and several lunchtimes, using the above resources. 

33 minutes ago, Lady C said:

The CAMRA whatpub website may also be helpful.  I think it is open to all.  It's always worth having some emergency supplies on board in case a planned stop is unsuccessful.

I find this kind of emergency supply comes in very handy on a boating holiday -- of course other flavours are also available... 😉

https://shop.rebellionbeer.co.uk/products/ipa-22-pint-mini-barrel.html

Stone is a good destination  rather than a starting point, and has a number of good pubs, but as you head away it gets less good. There is a popular pub at Barlaston which you could get to in less than a day but I think its not much good, many others think its great.

You could possibly just get to Stoke on Trent and visit the Holy Inadequate, super pub with no food.

Sowerby Bridge would be an easy cruise up to Hebden, assuming there is water, but of late Hebden has become a bit of a chavvy drinking destination at weekends, but it does have a large number of pubs some of which are very good.  

Was last time I was there. 
Walk past the Neil Morrisey pub and down to the shops and I think you turn left and it’s down the road there.

Have a vague memory it was more expensive than the morrisey pub. 
I don’t mind the morrisey pub because it sells Bass. 

(If I remember any of that proper.)