Paint for below gunnels?

Featured Posts

On a few boats, I have seen what I would describe as a plasticised paint used on the gunnels and below but above the blacking. It’s always black in colour. Anyone know the name of it, does it patch easily after scrapes etc? Tx

47 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

On a few boats, I have seen what I would describe as a plasticised paint used on the gunnels and below but above the blacking. It’s always black in colour. Anyone know the name of it, does it patch easily after scrapes etc? Tx

Have a look at another current thread discussing using Jotun 2 pack here. There was a fast drying easy to use "Andy Russell Gunwhale Paint" but it is no longer easily available.

19 minutes ago, dmr said:

Have a look at another current thread discussing using Jotun 2 pack here. There was a fast drying easy to use "Andy Russell Gunwhale Paint" but it is no longer easily available.

You could get the Andy Russell product from the 3P paint company in Stockport who actually made it for him but their website is not loading today so I'm unsure if they are still trading.  Cheaper price too.

3p Paint Company (Stockport) Ltd opening times

+44 161 477 4203

Thanks, (have you told us this before?)

I think the ultimate answer is Jotun 90 with a layer of the 3P stuff on top, for me probably a dark grey rather than black. This will make repairs slightly more complicated but should avoid the Jotun fading problem.

Jotun does not fade if you use the correct type of paint. Some of their paint likes water but not ultraviolet, others like ultraviolet but not water. Speak to SML or somebody who knows about Jotun and they will ensure the paint is correctly specified.

Jotun cannot be applied on top of Bitumen/single pack systems though.

5 hours ago, Old Son said:

Jotun does not fade if you use the correct type of paint. Some of their paint likes water but not ultraviolet, others like ultraviolet but not water. Speak to SML or somebody who knows about Jotun and they will ensure the paint is correctly specified.

O dear Harnser's Travels: The past week Northwich Dry Dock (nbharnser.blogspot.com)

9 hours ago, philjw said:

You could get the Andy Russell product from the 3P paint company in Stockport who actually made it for him but their website is not loading today so I'm unsure if they are still trading.  Cheaper price too.

3p Paint Company (Stockport) Ltd opening times

+44 161 477 4203

The owner is deceased. The business is no longer trading

9 hours ago, Old Son said:

I am not sure about Jotun (or specifically Jotomastic 90) being applied on top of Bitumen which sounds tricky but Jotomastic 90 is described as being surface tolerant.

i.e.

Jotun Jotamastic 90 is a two component polyamine cured epoxy mastic coating that is a surface tolerant, abrasion resistant, high solids and high build. This Jotun product is tintable in a wide range of colours and is specially designed for areas where optimum surface preparation is not possible or desired.