Robbie Cummins latest

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

'I live on a canal boat but it's tougher than people think - and more expensive' (msn.com)

Robert told the Mirror he doesn't know how people "begin thinking about buying a house in London", but recognises not everyone can hack life on a canal boat, which is much more expensive than people think now that the "golden days" of bargain buys are gone.

He added: "No one I've met recently has been doing it because they can’t afford the cost of living. I have personally not found it a cheap way of living as I’m always out buying bespoke/non mass produced items; coal not subsidised like energy bills, private healthcare, launderette costs, and occasional mooring fees when I need to leave the boat for longer time periods.

"To work 9-5 and continuously cruise or maintain a boat on your own is near on impossible, so in the past I certainly have had to cut work hours to compensate.

"You can’t just go in and flick a switch and everything turns on - on some narrowboats you can but you still have to understand how it all operates and where various pumps and things are."

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

'I live on a canal boat but it's tougher than people think - and more expensive' (msn.com)

Robert told the Mirror he doesn't know how people "begin thinking about buying a house in London", but recognises not everyone can hack life on a canal boat, which is much more expensive than people think now that the "golden days" of bargain buys are gone.

He added: "No one I've met recently has been doing it because they can’t afford the cost of living. I have personally not found it a cheap way of living as I’m always out buying bespoke/non mass produced items; coal not subsidised like energy bills, private healthcare, launderette costs, and occasional mooring fees when I need to leave the boat for longer time periods.

"To work 9-5 and continuously cruise or maintain a boat on your own is near on impossible, so in the past I certainly have had to cut work hours to compensate.

"You can’t just go in and flick a switch and everything turns on - on some narrowboats you can but you still have to understand how it all operates and where various pumps and things are."

"The new four-part series of BBC Four’s Canal Boat Diaries starts on 1 May at 7.30pm and will run Monday to Thursday."

The earlier series were very good 🙂

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Martin Nicholas said:

It's "Robbie Cumming" FYI. He was on Radio 4's Loose Ends this week.

Thanks for clarifying his name. He must be utterly fed up of people mistaking his name for that of Shagger Cummings, formerly of Wichety Grub corner. Cummins isn't a variation I've seen too often.

Edited by Puffling

4 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Cummins isn't a variation I've seen too often.

There'a big company called Cummins, bought the big Holset factory in Hudds years ago, make turbochargers, towpath side of the Narrow down by the Turnbridge

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

There'a big company called Cummins, bought the big Holset factory in Hudds years ago, make turbochargers, towpath side of the Narrow down by the Turnbridge

Of course, I'm well aware of Cummins diesels. I used to live in Milnsbridge and would walk along the Narrow right by there. Before the restoration, that is. 

What I meant was that Cummins as a variation of Robbie's family name is an unusual variation.

I'm looking forward to his new BBC series ☺️

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

Had to check online the following day, as was bit unsure at the time.

But it was his boat from the series. Was cool to see.  

We passed it near Hillmorton a few weeks back, only noticed it due to the tree stump target on the roof. Wondered what sort of nutter kept a target on the roof then clocked which boat it was.

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

We passed it near Hillmorton a few weeks back, only noticed it due to the tree stump target on the roof. Wondered what sort of nutter kept a target on the roof then clocked which boat it was.

Like an actual painted target for archery/axe throwing?

7 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Yup, you can see it on the roof next to the bucket, big slab of tree trunk

Axe throwing is fun -- not sure I'd want to do it on or near a narrowboat though... 😉

axethrowing.jpg

13 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Depends if you're the one throwing, or the one stood against the wall ;) 

I certainly wouldn't be anywhere near the wall, going by the state of it in the photo -- axe marks all the way from ground level to ten feet up... 😞

Actually even throwing isn't 100% safe, some people has some fairly spectacular rebounds and had to leap out of the way...

Edited by IanD