What is the problem with Ashted Locks

Heartland

Featured Posts

The top lock paddles of the bottom lock (no 6) are padlocked preventing boats from the Grand Union to travel to Farmer's Bridge. Boats are arriving and having to turn around.

Edited by Heartland

I think (always dangerous) this is a side effect of the farmers bridge closure. Something is rattling around in the noggin about other locks being closed to prevent water loss whilst repairs are undertaken.

32 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The top lock paddles of the bottom lock (no 6) are padlocked preventing boats from the Grand Union to travel to Farmer's Bridge. Boats are arriving and having to turn around.

Farmer’s Bridge lock 13 is closed due to a collapsed by-wash culvert and to avoid additional pumping due to loss of water below the flight the Aston and Ashted flights have also been closed to navigation.

I spent 11 hours yesterday to get from Gas Street to Curdworth via Ryders Green and Perry Barr flights.

Edited by Captain Pegg

Thanks for that information, I did check on stoppages but no results, at that time

I met a couple of boater at Ashted who chose to turn around and go up to Salford Bridge, it would seem that their only option of getting to Birmingham is via the Tame Valley and the Walsall, Their other option was via Lapworth and Kings Norton.  

Edited by Heartland

14 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I spent 11 hours yesterday to get from Gas Street to Curdworth via Ryders Green and Perry Barr flights.

You must have been the boat I saw in the distance coming towards me as I turned up the Rushall canal

57 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Have a look at the Farmer's Bridge stoppage notice.

6 minutes ago, Ken X said:

It's under Birmingham and Fazeley Canal so probably does not flag up for a GU search.  Not the best bit of planning.

None of the closures impact the GU though.  I can understand people missing the Digbeth Branch closure, but where were they intending to go when they got to Aston Junction, down the Aston flight?

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

None of the closures impact the GU though.  I can understand people missing the Digbeth Branch closure, but where were they intending to go when they got to Aston Junction, down the Aston flight?

Quite. Though I guess the first place to put padlocks while keeping Bordesley Junction open is on Ashted bottom lock.

27 minutes ago, Ken X said:

It's under Birmingham and Fazeley Canal so probably does not flag up for a GU search.  Not the best bit of planning.

Since the closure is on the Digbeth Branch of the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal, then why would you flag it under the GU?

Anyone intending to go up Farmers Bridge flight should be checking for B&F stoppages anyway.

Edited by David Mack

18 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Probably worth at least signage at Warwick Bar as well.

You’d hope those signs as per the one posted above are on Camp Hill locks given they assume a journey from the GU to the New Main Line.

Evan better if they are Hatton so you can do the obvious and go via the North Stratford.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

And if the flight is still closed they are replacing the signs with the new dates otherwise it looks like they would now be open.

To be fair that was taken the day before I met Captain Pegg on the Lapworth-so a little while ago.

Reason I was there was I was making a diversion as I arrived at Braunston just in time for them to announce Stockton was going to be delayed 🤢

It wasnt really on the way to Alvechurch 😀

Looking at what is now on the CRT Website

27/03/2023 16:21

Please be advised that a 3-week extension is required for the stoppage at Farmers Bridge lock flight, taking the end date to 28/04/2023.

Progress on partially filling the void is good, but we cannot get the liner to site until the 6th April. The team will be working over the Easter weekend to install, and then the following two and a half weeks to fill the remaining void and de-mobilise all plant and equipment.

Thank you for your patience in bearing with us while we complete this emergency repair. Whilst the extension is inconvenient, we’re pleased we’re going to be able to reinstate the by-wash culvert in one stoppage.

It would seem the problem was getting the liner to site

May be they should have used a narrow gauge railway and a Clayton Electric Locomotive !

I note another addition to the stoppages

The navigation and towpath will remain open. St Joseph will be undertaking demolition works to the boundary wall between Ashted Tunnel and Belmont Rd Bridge as part of the Eastside Development. Hoarding and fencing will be erected at the rear of the towpath to facilitate the works, and for Health & Safety reasons, the access ramp at Belmont Rd Bridge will be closed. Alternative access to the towpath is available from the south side of the bridge. Signage will be in place during the works. We kindly ask customers to take extra care and follow directions when passing through this area.

This stoppage is in  place until 16th April

For Belmont Road, read Belmont Row

The St Joseph's development is called Glasswater Locks where any regard to canal history and heritage is dispensed with. The term Glasswater is derived from the glassworks that used to be at the top of Ashted Tunnel, and that is where any links to accuracy ends. They forget about the Coop Bakery and many other features there or the site of the former Ashted Engine House now completely destroyed by the works.

The access ramp at Belmont Row was a heritage feature being a cobbled path linking towpath with Pitt Street and the bridge

Also how can the towpath be open but the canal not be, but then the closure at Snow Hill is linked to it. 

In fact the notices are now contradictory. With Snow Hill Ashted is closed longer than through the St Joseph notice. Have CRT lost all credibility in their notices and  may be Lady G is right. We may not be in Kansas any more but perhaps with CRT Fantasy Island may be a more correct place to be!

3 minutes ago, Heartland said:

I note another addition to the stoppages

The navigation and towpath will remain open. St Joseph will be undertaking demolition works to the boundary wall between Ashted Tunnel and Belmont Rd Bridge as part of the Eastside Development. Hoarding and fencing will be erected at the rear of the towpath to facilitate the works, and for Health & Safety reasons, the access ramp at Belmont Rd Bridge will be closed. Alternative access to the towpath is available from the south side of the bridge. Signage will be in place during the works. We kindly ask customers to take extra care and follow directions when passing through this area.

This stoppage is in  place until 16th April

For Belmont Road, read Belmont Row

The St Joseph's development is called Glasswater Locks where any regard to canal history and heritage is dispensed with. The term Glasswater is derived from the glassworks that used to be at the top of Ashted Tunnel, and that is where any links to accuracy ends. They forget about the Coop Bakery and many other features there or the site of the former Ashted Engine House now completely destroyed by the works.

The access ramp at Belmont Row was a heritage feature being a cobbled path linking towpath with Pitt Street and the bridge

Also how can the towpath be open but the canal not be, but then the closure at Snow Hill is linked to it. 

In fact the notices are now contradictory. With Snow Hill Ashted is closed longer than through the St Joseph notice. Have CRT lost all credibility in their notices and  may be Lady G is right. We may not be in Kansas any more but perhaps with CRT Fantasy Island may be a more correct place to be!

The canal is closed because you cant go anywhere but that doesn't effect the towpath

The reason for the observation is that the St Joseph stoppage started on February 22nd and the Snow Hill stoppage started on the 8th March. I found it difficult to reconcile a closure of the Ashted flight between 22nd February and the 8th March. And now because of Farmers Bridge Lock issue it is a case of going nowhere until that problem is resolved. At least the Tame Valley will see increased use!