Rochdale Sowerby Br <-> Manchester, Late Apr, early May ... will it be do-able?

Simon Pooley

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, dmr said:

Dunno about the Hopwood, had a bit of a falling out with them a while ago so don't go in, but think it has changed hands since. The Ship has been done up but still retains its feel as a locals drinking pub and can get quite busy, but as you say, no food. Mooring rings above top lock. 

If you are arriving late and leaving early then the lock landing right outside the Ship is also possible (the Rochdale is not a busy canal 😀) though if its not raining the outside benches can get quite busy.

I am told that there is a really good pub about 20mins walk away but have not been myself.

As usual, thanks for the helpful advice 🙂

The pub is probably the Tandle Hill Tavern...

slattocks.png

6 minutes ago, StephenA said:

If its manually entered data yes - we also put in CRT opening time notices which of course aren't always accurate or up to date.

Well I never knew that -- I've changed the note for both summit locks to show they're only open at 11am starting from May 1st 🙂

8 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Don't be riddipulous. 

I suspect you're thinking of a different frog joke...

Q. How do you sell a frog to someone who's deaf?

A. Dunno, how do you sell a frog to someone --

<scream> DO YOU WANNA BUY A FROG?!?!?!?

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Yes, but now it's also on the navigation notes for the locks -- which were wrong... 😉

• Greenie 1

On 12/04/2023 at 21:57, Stroudwater1 said:

we had about 15 or more weedhatch visits on our journey mid 2021. Only one bag full though so I’m envious plus a mattress which meant a night in Newton Heath which we and the boat survived. 
I believe there is a development going on by Newton Heath which may help make the area somewhat better? 

We travelled the Rochdale in 2002, the year it reopened.  At Newton Heath, the kids were swarming the boat whilst in the lock.  Two BW chaps were making some adjustments to the paddle gear.  It too two, one to do the job and the second to watch the small selection of hand tools assiduously.

No problems when I have been through subsequently. 

53 minutes ago, Tacet said:

We travelled the Rochdale in 2002, the year it reopened.  At Newton Heath, the kids were swarming the boat whilst in the lock.  Two BW chaps were making some adjustments to the paddle gear.  It too two, one to do the job and the second to watch the small selection of hand tools assiduously.

No problems when I have been through subsequently. 

The only problem we had last time through Newton Heath was navigating through the clouds of sweet-smelling smoke emitted by the bridge trolls... 😉

• 2 weeks later...

OP here...

Well, we set off on Tues from Sowerby Bridge and last night (Thu) found us at the West end of Summit, with a very low pound before us.

We had several nice beers in the Summit pub and set off this morning into a slightly-recovered pound below West Summit Lock 37.

But with the lock empty, we found ourselves aground in the bottom of the lock when it was ready.

A couple of CRT chaps turned up to monitor the situation and were very helpful in letting sufficient water down from the summit pound to see us down the first few locks.

I was waiting on the balance beam of Lock 46 at 12:30 when I received a stoppage notice to say the Rochdale summit, locks 35 to 45, was now closed due to lack of water. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/24896-navigation-closure-low-water-summit-lock-36-to-lock-45-rochdale-canal Next update Tues.

So, looks like we've managed to scrape our way over the top just in time!

We're booked back Eastwards on Wedsnesday, and I've let the boatyard know where we are.

Let's hope for some rain to replenish the reservoirs and summit level before then.

PS - we're on Shire's Worcester, so say hello if you spot us.

Edited by Simon Pooley
Added PS

You went past me and I think I said hello.  The summit has been full for a while now so I don't know what has gone wrong.  The short pound a few locks down towards Littleborough is often empty but is easy to fill, but that flight has been having a lot of problems for the last year or so.  With so many locks and short pounds it only takes a little bit of careless boating to cause some big water problems.

On 09/04/2023 at 16:48, Unicorn Stampede said:

Of all the places to go on holiday, paying for the joys of the Rochdale 18 wouldn't be very much at the top of my list.

It's an absolute state - they did some cleaning up over last few months (see attached image) so there's less junk, but the locks and dodgy pounds ain't been fixed.

FB_IMG_1677865847393.jpg

First of all that is lock 86 on the Manchester 9 and secondly there is 5ft plus of water over that mess when the pound is on weir so normally not a problem, plus we were in there taking all that crap out when this picture was taken!