Crossing 'The Wash'

Bargebuilder

Featured Posts

High Water Dog in a Doublet = HW Sutton Bridge + 2 hours (approx).  This will be affected by the amount of fresh water coming down the river of course.  I think Sutton Bridge is pretty close to Wisbech cut,  but don't quote me on that.

HW Wisbech is HW Sutton Bridge + 40 mins.,

Wisbech and Wisbech Cut are not the same place!!

Other resources here:  https://scholargypsy.org.uk/washing/

3 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

High Water Dog in a Doublet = HW Sutton Bridge + 2 hours (approx).  This will be affected by the amount of fresh water coming down the river of course.  I think Sutton Bridge is pretty close to Wisbech cut,  but don't quote me on that.

HW Wisbech is HW Sutton Bridge + 40 mins.,

Wisbech and Wisbech Cut are not the same place!!

Other resources here:  https://scholargypsy.org.uk/washing/

When I enquired of learned folk, I wasn't expecting a reply from a scholar. Thank you so much for the information and the link.

I was hoping to take the ebb from the Dog-in-a doublet, spend the night on the free waiting pontoon just past Sutton Bridge and do the Wash leg to Boston the following day: any suggestions concerning timings would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, Bargebuilder said:

When I enquired of learned folk, I wasn't expecting a reply from a scholar. Thank you so much for the information and the link.

I was hoping to take the ebb from the Dog-in-a doublet, spend the night on the free waiting pontoon just past Sutton Bridge and do the Wash leg to Boston the following day: any suggestions concerning timings would be appreciated.

The boat is named after a poem by Matthew Arnold, I was told. 

I think you need a bit more local advice than I can provide (I guess you are not taking a pilot?). The ebb current get quite strong, and you want to be confident that you can actually stop, whether you stop at Wisbech Yacht station or at Sutton Bridge.  I wasn't aware there were free moorings at the latter.  There's quite a bit of new information added to this site:  https://www.sailthewash.com/plan/passage-planning/  .

For stage 2, I think depart a couple of hours after HW (not least to avoid any ship movements), and then hang around near Tabs Head until there is enough water. 

Dog no longer has a resident lock keeper, I believe.

5 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:
13 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Thank you. I must try that

I was hoping for a meal at the Dog in a Doublet when I cross The Wash in May, but will probably carry on to Peterborough now. 

4 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Dog no longer has a resident lock keeper, I believe.

Hasn't had since last year. You need to book with the lower Nene river inspector as far as I remember.