Macclesfield & Peak Forest Lock restriction

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

It's electrically operated as they beefed it up a bit the other year. There is a 3 Tonne weight limit on it but allegedly somebody has been taking heavier  vehicles over it. It is the bearings on the top if the bascule that are damaged and this requires the balance weight removing I would presume which is why a large crane is required 

2 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

It's electrically operated as they beefed it up a bit the other year. There is a 3 Tonne weight limit on it but allegedly somebody has been taking heavier  vehicles over it. It is the bearings on the top if the bascule that are damaged and this requires the balance weight removing I would presume which is why a large crane is required 

Even while we were waiting for them to temporarily open it, the farmer went across a couple times in his tractor pulling a trailer, which I'm sure lead to more than 3tn being loaded on the bridge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2023 at 13:05, sigsegv said:

Even while we were waiting for them to temporarily open it, the farmer went across a couple times in his tractor pulling a trailer, which I'm sure lead to more than 3tn being loaded on the bridge.

Maybe CaRT should have left the bridge open for boat traffic? Past experience suggests that weight limits etc are often abused/ignored by road users? And who caused the original damage? ........

42 minutes ago, PhilR said:

Maybe CaRT should have left the bridge open for boat traffic? Past experience suggests that weight limits etc are often abused/ignored by road users? And who caused the original damage? ........

It's a farm bridge, I think, not a road bridge, so the farmer probably has rights of usage. But any damage would therefore more than likely have been done by him. I always thought it odd that they electrified it, it worked perfectly well previously.

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's a farm bridge, I think, not a road bridge, so the farmer probably has rights of usage. But any damage would therefore more than likely have been done by him. I always thought it odd that they electrified it, it worked perfectly well previously.

Yes, I agree. It is a pity that the farmer doesn't appreciate the improvements that CaRT have made to his access, despite him throwing a wobbly he still has another access to his farm?   

5 hours ago, sigsegv said:

Peak forest can't catch a break at the moment...

Marple flight closed due to lock wall subsidence

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/26054-navigation-closure-marple-lock-flight-peak-forest-canal

Wasn't it lock 12 last time?

Edited by StephenA

Good news first: restrictions on the Bosley flight will be removed from Saturday 26th of August ( tomorrow as I write this.). In general I feel this has been managed well this year.

But don't go celebrating quite yet as Lock 7 on the Marple flight of the Peak Forest looks to be shut for a good while. Informal chats with volly lockies suggest repairs will need months, not weeks.

My plan of crossing the Pennines via the Huddersfield Narrow have taken a big hit.

At least the Peak Forest is looking better in the other direction. CRT are opening the damaged Wood End lift bridge on the 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th of September to allow passage. This will be a boon to empty toilets and rubbish until the new Marple Services are complete (only water available there presently) by allowing access to Whaley Bridge and Bugsworth Basin.

• 1 month later...
On 25/08/2023 at 13:33, Puffling said:

Good news first: restrictions on the Bosley flight will be removed from Saturday 26th of August ( tomorrow as I write this.). In general I feel this has been managed well this year.

But don't go celebrating quite yet as Lock 7 on the Marple flight of the Peak Forest looks to be shut for a good while. Informal chats with volly lockies suggest repairs will need months, not weeks.

My plan of crossing the Pennines via the Huddersfield Narrow have taken a big hit.

At least the Peak Forest is looking better in the other direction. CRT are opening the damaged Wood End lift bridge on the 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th of September to allow passage. This will be a boon to empty toilets and rubbish until the new Marple Services are complete (only water available there presently) by allowing access to Whaley Bridge and Bugsworth Basin.

The new facilities should have been completed BEFORE the old ones were taken out of use, but as usual, boaters are at the back of the queue. I'll wager the new houses on the site are completed LONG before boater facilities, if they are completed at all.

Edited by furnessvale
additional info