Boatman’s cabin stove

Benji2204

Featured Posts

Good morning all, I am renovating my traditional boatman’s cabin and have decided to remove this stove and sell as I have no use for it. My question is that I wondered if anyone may be able to identify this stove and let me know what make it is as I can’t see any markings on it. Thanks in advance for any advice 

Ben4EAE5797-00E1-455A-A3B8-67B280A699A2.thumb.jpeg.07565bd80a0340039504dd06dba3899f.jpeg85F6D96A-CA3D-4FE2-BEB9-0D73242CE414.thumb.jpeg.975566308ab4145780cdbdd71325f707.jpeg

It looks somewhat like a standard Classic / Epping to me, albeit that it does not have either name cast into the oven door.

However the top of an Epping normally only has one round door for fuelling it.  The part above the oven has removable lids that overlap, but I've not seen one with another removable round lid.

Have you  had it running, without problems, and if so how recently?

Might this have been made by the Boatman's Cabin Company? They used to do a lot of cast iron and bronze/brass stuff and retail it from Highline Yachting in Iver on the Slough arm of the Grand Union.

The late Lawrence Hogg was one of the owners if I remember right. 

4 hours ago, davidg said:

Is that not a Class1c(sic), the Midland Chandlers Classic/Epping lookalike?

The firebox on them is waaaaay too big unless you put extra firebricks in.

Definitely is a Class1c, well known for the cast top plates cracking. Probably due to the over large firebox! 

5 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Definitely is a Class1c, well known for the cast top plates cracking. Probably due to the over large firebox! 

I have a "Classic" in one of mine. Once, I lit it and set off boating late in the day and I boated deep into the gloaming. As the darkness slowly enveloped me and enjoying boating in the dark, I looked down and saw the whole top of the Classic stove glowing medium red in the gloom. Its never fired up quite the same since. But equally its never set orf the CO monitor either! 

Mebbe I should try it with some batteries in.

2 hours ago, paddy r said:

Me too, for the Keppel

I have one in "as new" condition that I think will be available soon. I was going to replace my aging Epping with it but will probably restore it instead. 

Just to confuse things further my Epping is actually a Classic,  I believe they carried that name in the 80's before going back to the Epping. Which is why Midland Swindlers produced the Class1c of course..  Parts aren't available for the Class1c, including the cast top plate. Unlike the Epping (or Classic) the body of the stove is fabricated from mild steel. 

• Happy 1