Hi All

mightyslay3r

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Oh well. There's only about 4 of those. That won't take long at all. 

As long as he stays away from "Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think" or any Brexit discussions

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

As long as he stays away from "Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think" or any Brexit discussions

electric cars are pants... built to make money... total disregard to the planet... simple has that

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

electric cars are pants... built to make money... total disregard to the planet... simple has that

That's cleared that up then!

I suggest you re-post that in the afore-mentioned EV discussion thread and it can then be stopped/closed at 350 pages.

• Happy 1

im waiting for the proposal by the government to have electrically propelled boats....

at the boat owners expense ofc...

imagine the royal navy having to get rid of those monsters in the hull & replacing with electric motors lol

the batteries required would outweigh the weight of the engines me thinks....

Edited by mightyslay3r

Just now, mightyslay3r said:

im waiting for the proposal by the government to have electrically propelled boats....

at the boat owners expense ofc...

That's already happened. I'm not sure what the proposed timescale is but at some point in the not-too distant future it wont be permissible to put an ICE into a new boat and at some point further on from that existing boats will have to be converted or scrapped. Or so I believe.

• Happy 1

Just now, mightyslay3r said:

i have heard there are already electrically propelled NB's.. is this correct.. or still in the pipeline?

All narrow boats are pipelines . They are just slightly square shaped rather than the more usual round profile. 

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Note that that's an electric day boat which can be recharged every night.

There are a few electric boats out on the system which rely only on solar power (or plugging in) for recharging, but this is very restrictive, especially in winter when solar provides very little power.

Most so-called electric canal boats are actually hybrids, meaning they've got an onboard diesel generator, with all the cost (and need to burn some diesel) that results. Depending on how much solar power can be used and how much the boat moves, this can give a fuel saving compared to a diesel boat of between 50% (half) and 100% (none used), but the generator is still needed to cover when solar power isn't enough and plugging in is impossible.

The only way to get rid of this would be network-wide availability of charging points, but there is no sensible plan for how to make this happen -- and pay for it, which means investment in canal infrastructure, which the government is trying to cut... 😞

• Happy 1

just looking at different options guys... if diesel/petrol engines are going to be banned... its removing the heritage of the canal boat & its enthusiasts... in my opinion anyway.

has stated in another thread... the engine (propulsion) & electrics are paramount to anything else to be checked on a very regular basis...

will this also mean the doing away with smokeless fuel/wood burners? also having the need to have electric cookers or oven & hobs? electric water heaters for radiator systems?

just thinking ahead for when we do get a boat... would all of this be a good idea to consider before buying.. if a lot of it will need swapping out?

thoughts guys pls :) 

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Note that that's an electric day boat which can be recharged every night.

There are a few electric boats out on the system which rely only on solar power (or plugging in) for recharging, but this is very restrictive, especially in winter when solar provides very little power.

Most so-called electric canal boats are actually hybrids, meaning they've got an onboard diesel generator, with all the cost (and need to burn some diesel) that results. Depending on how much solar power can be used and how much the boat moves, this can give a fuel saving compared to a diesel boat of between 50% (half) and 100% (none used), but the generator is still needed to cover when solar power isn't enough and plugging in is impossible.

The only way to get rid of this would be network-wide availability of charging points, but there is no sensible plan for how to make this happen -- and pay for it, which means investment in canal infrastructure, which the government is trying to cut... 😞

and electric hook up generates cash for the supplier which in turn makes cash in the form of taxes for the government... and that is what it is all about....

Edited by mightyslay3r

9 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

this 1 is interesting... https://www.ortomarine.co.uk/stop-press-boat-for-sale-2/

but 16 x 224Ahr C&D Nano-Carbon™ AES 12-2870F batteries .... thats where the expense lays....

Very similar in concept (but different in detail) to the one I'm having built by Finesse -- and even the LFP batteries in mine only cost about the same as the generator, both are eye-wateringly expensive... 😞

• Happy 1

13 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

just looking at different options guys... if diesel/petrol engines are going to be banned... its removing the heritage of the canal boat & its enthusiasts... in my opinion anyway.

has stated in another thread... the engine (propulsion) & electrics are paramount to anything else to be checked on a very regular basis...

will this also mean the doing away with smokeless fuel/wood burners? also having the need to have electric cookers or oven & hobs? electric water heaters for radiator systems?

just thinking ahead for when we do get a boat... would all of this be a good idea to consider before buying.. if a lot of it will need swapping out?

thoughts guys pls :) 

and electric hook up generates cash for the supplier which in turn makes cash in the form of taxes for the government... and that is what it is all about....

But the revenue from charging canal boats would be tiny compared to charging EVs, and many charging points would be needed -- IIRC last time we did a guesstimate we came up with £50M or so, but there are lots of hand-waving assumptions in this...

The biggest energy demand would be for heating, this would need water-source heat-pumps (consuming about 1kW when running) but suitable ones don't exist yet (I looked at this in detail for my boat).

Propulsion is next, obviously this depends on use but I estimated about 14kWh/day for a full day cruising. Solar can provide maybe half of this in summer (7kWh/day on a narrowboat) but much less in winter.

Other domestic appliances like electric cooking are further down the scale, they're not the big problem.

There just isn't any joined-up-thinking solution, the government says it want to get rid of diesel (and coal/woodburners?) but without charging points a (diesel/HVO) generator will still be needed in amny (most? all?) cases. Burning HVO helps with CO2 but again there's no policy to make this available at a reasonable price.

Edited by IanD
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

and all blamed on global warming which we should all pay a high stake for to stay green....

no, its global warming which happens so many millions of years... its a planet in the universe thing.. nothing to do with humans lol

You could be right, in which case we are wasting a lot of money.

Or you could be wrong, in which case (If we sit back and do nothing), we could be wasting our grandchildrens' future.

Which is the bigger risk?

5 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

and all blamed on global warming which we should all pay a high stake for to stay green....

no, its global warming which happens so many millions of years... its a planet in the universe thing.. nothing to do with humans lol

My word, it seems you know better than 99% of the world's climate scientists, who have provided clear evidence for many years now on the mechanisms by which human activity is impacting on the climate.  I imagine your knowledge and understanding must be worth billions?

By the way, electric boats were around before petrol and diesel engines were even invented.