Which water pump should I get?

Wandering Lark

Featured Posts

Hi All

I need to replace my water pump as its defunct.

I had a Jabsco parmax 3 (I tried replacing all the seals etc. but it still leaks and I think I just have to admit I'm not a water pump engineer/ something unfixable is wrong)

I'm looking at getting a whale watermaster... I dont know exactly what the criteria I should be looking for. It will supply 2 sinks, shower and primes a smallish calorifier.

any advice welcome

I was looking at something like this:

https://www.marinechandlery.com/whale-watermaster-automatic-pressure-pump

Thanks

Oliver

I would go for the one:

1) which has the same fittings locations as before (to make installation easy)

2) flows the highest rate (that the wiring etc will allow for). A slow water pump feels 'cheap' (even though it will eventually supply the water), a faster one is just a nice thing to have - and makes showers better.

21 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Why not just get another Jabsco parmax 3?

I could however, this is just what was installed when I got the boat, and its failed, so I'm after a bit of advice about what a good product is and a bit of knowledge about what to consider, as I dont know about them and I dont know if the previous owner did either.

5 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I would go for the one:

1) which has the same fittings locations as before (to make installation easy)

2) flows the highest rate (that the wiring etc will allow for). A slow water pump feels 'cheap' (even though it will eventually supply the water), a faster one is just a nice thing to have - and makes showers better.

Thanks, yes one of the considerations is that I'll probably change the location - the last one want properly fitted/ seccured in place anyway so this is less of a concern as long as it fits into the space I have for it under a cupboard.

3 minutes ago, Wandering Lark said:

I could however, this is just what was installed when I got the boat, and its failed, so I'm after a bit of advice about what a good product is and a bit of knowledge about what to consider, as I dont know about them and I dont know if the previous owner did either.

Nothing wrong with Jabsco pumps. Much better than shurlflo imo.

ETA, All the cheaper pumps should be treated as consumables, particularly if you are a live aboard boater. Ideally you want to keep an spare on the shelf for when they do fail. Typically 4 years on our boat.

Edited by rusty69

The Jabsco is the best of the pumps I have used, better than the Shurflo.  

It also has the quick disconnect which allows you to swap it out easily.  I would stick with it.

As for trying to repair/seals etc - I have always just approached the pump as a disposable item.  Once they start leaking they're done for - it just isn't worth the effort and cost of trying to repair them when a brand new pump is just £90 or so.  The damage and hassle caused by leaks - wet bilge etc - is not worth the cost.

Also - I install my pump on a baking tray so that any minor leaks are contained.   I use a 9v battery leak detector installed into that tray so if it leaks, the alarm sounds and I can deal with it immediately, as otherwise it can take quite a while to notice.   Cheap and cheerful but they work well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topvico-Flood-Sensor-Detector-Security/dp/B07311Z536/ref=asc_df_B07311Z536/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=535908632386&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2250697802500981112&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006976&hvtargid=pla-353322384856&psc=1 

• Greenie 1

Water pumps are a consumable. They don't last forever. I reckon to get about five years out of a Jabsco Par Max, or similar pump in full time live on board use. You probably won't get more life out of another manufacturers pump of similar price. Except shurflo, which are a bit rubbish.

What is the calorifier recommended operating pressure? What is the opening pressure of the pressure relief valve on the calorifier? Make sure that the new pump doesn't exceed the calorifier operating pressure, if known and is definitely below the PRV opening pressure. Is the current water flow rate from the taps and shower adequate? If so, match the flow rate. Going for a higher flow rate may not give you as much extra flow as you think, as pipe work and fittings restrict water flow a lot.

Jen

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Jabsco Parmax 3 is good, yours probably failed just because it was end-of-life or something like that, they've been in production for years and years.

Ok great thanks maybe I'll replace witht he same then... A good friend heartily recomended Whale is all

4 minutes ago, TandC said:

The Jabsco is the best of the pumps I have used, better than the Shurflo.  

It also has the quick disconnect which allows you to swap it out easily.  I would stick with it.

As for trying to repair/seals etc - I have always just approached the pump as a disposable item.  Once they start leaking they're done for - it just isn't worth the effort and cost of trying to repair them when a brand new pump is just £90 or so.  The damage and hassle caused by leaks - wet bilge etc - is not worth the cost.

Also - I install my pump on a baking tray so that any minor leaks are contained.   I use a 9v battery leak detector installed into that tray so if it leaks, the alarm sounds and I can deal with it immediately, as otherwise it can take quite a while to notice.   Cheap and cheerful but they work well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topvico-Flood-Sensor-Detector-Security/dp/B07311Z536/ref=asc_df_B07311Z536/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=535908632386&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2250697802500981112&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006976&hvtargid=pla-353322384856&psc=1 

ace thank you - I havent found one for as little as £90 - more like £120 would love to know your supplier :)

good tip about the leak detector, its so easy to miss

1 minute ago, Wandering Lark said:

Ok great thanks maybe I'll replace witht he same then... A good friend heartily recomended Whale is all

Whale make fantastic shower/ bath emptying pumps in the form of the ubiquitous Gulper. I did once have a whale fresh water pump, but it didn't last a week. Maybe I was just unlucky, as I have heard other people recommend them, but it kind of put me off them.

Our Whale shower pump is now 24 years old and in daily use.

28 minutes ago, Wandering Lark said:

ace thank you - I havent found one for as little as £90 - more like £120 would love to know your supplier :)

good tip about the leak detector, its so easy to miss

The parmax range of pumps have almost doubled in price the last 8 years. I bought a parmax 2.9 in 2015 for £60, a parmax 3 last year for £85, and they are now topping £120.

Edited by rusty69

I have had good service out of the Johnson WPS range of pumps. Aquafax used to sell them. Before that I had a Whale, which lasted over 5 years, though the pressure switch expired after about 3 years.

Whichever pump you choose, fitting a separate stand alone pressure switch is a good idea.  The Square D range are excellent and give you easily adjusted cut in and cut out pressures while being more reliable than the cheap ones fitted in the pump body. Loads for sale on line.

N

25 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The parmax range of pumps have almost doubled in price the last 8 years. I bought a parmax 2.9 in 2015 for £60, a parmax 3 last year for £85, and they are now topping £120.

Ah sorry - this is probably where my £90 is coming from - inflation eh?  

Shurflo? We have a shurflo. Had the boat 18 years, live aboard nearly nine years. Still going strong. I am led to believe the newer ones are not as good as the aged one we have. It was on the boat when we bought it. We have replaced the diaphragm unit three times over the years. An easy fix. Cheaper than buying a new one, of whatever breed. They all breakdown at some point.

Its all down to personal experience I suppose. 

Exactly, its down to experience, when I bought the boat (it was ten years old) it had two water pumps - one on the cold water and one on the hot - both Shurflo. I had to change four in the first twelve months, then I changed to Jabsco, today (nearly five years later) I still have the spare Jabsco that I bought at the same time.