Taking Theodora to the Three Choirs Festival in Gloucester

Theo

Featured Posts

We are planning on taking our 60' NB to Goucester from about 20th- 31st July 2023.  We are moored at Tardebigge Old Wharf.  Out main concern is that we get moorings within walking distance of the Cathedral but any hints and tips would be good.

TIA

Nick

We've never had a problem mooring in Gloucester docks, which I presume is the closest you can get to the cathedral.  It is only short term visitor mooring though in the docks, if you wanted longer you could enquire to see if there are any visitor mooring in Victoria dock.

You should be able to moor in the docks - and a fine place to moor it is too -  although for some time last year mooring in the docks was not permitted due to silt build-up.

Give the lock-keeper at Gloucester a call a few days before to check that there are no high tides that you need to arrange your timings around.

On voyage, the lock-keeper at Upper Lode will inform Gloucester that you are en route.  Call Gloucester Lock when approaching the parting to update, and he/she will probably advise you to call them again when going under the Westgate Bridges, so they can get the lock gates open.  If it doesn't work out that way for some reason and the gates are closed, hang on to the quay wall with the stern rope until the lock is ready.

If the docks are full (unlikely) there are some visitor moorings south of Llanthony Bridge (east side, a bit noisy) or past the lightship on the west side.

Thanks all.

We'll need more than a week.  SWMBO and I will be staying in a caravan moored by Tewsbury Abbey for a few days.  No. 1 son and family will be living in the boat for the duration of the festival.  No. 1 grandson is a Hereford Cathedral chorister and will be needed for the whole ten days.

What fun!

N

2 hours ago, Theo said:

Thanks all.

We'll need more than a week.  SWMBO and I will be staying in a caravan moored by Tewsbury Abbey for a few days.  No. 1 son and family will be living in the boat for the duration of the festival.  No. 1 grandson is a Hereford Cathedral chorister and will be needed for the whole ten days.

What fun!

N

I was a cathedral chorister, interesting times.

ETA and not all bad.

Edited by Stilllearning