B & Q

John Orentas

Featured Posts

Thinking of having a run up to B & Q this afternoon for a few bits and pieces.. I am told that they will give me a 10% reduction on all their prices today on production of a bus pass, don't know yet if this reflects their generosity or is an indication of the kind of substantial margins they work on.

Anything worth looking out for ? (apart from stacker trucks)

Edited by John Orentas

Thinking of having a run up to B & Q this afternoon for a few bits and pieces.. I am told that they will give me a 10% reduction on all their prices today on production of a bus pass, don't know yet if this reflects their usual generosity or is an indication of the kind of substantial margins they work on.

I wonder if they'll accept my 7 Day Stagecoach Gold Megarider bus pass too...?

Thinking of having a run up to B & Q this afternoon for a few bits and pieces.. I am told that they will give me a 10% reduction on all their prices today on production of a bus pass, don't know yet if this reflects their generosity or is an indication of the kind of substantial margins they work on.

Now there's no pension day to get stuck in a queue at the post office, we have instead, Wednesday at B&Q. Hoardes of wrinklies with trollies brimming full of stuff their progeny have sent them out for.

It must be age discrimination to offer a Seniors a discount these days?

Edited by Serendipity

Ha! I bet John has been making his own mirrors again, usually out of something he found in the back of a skip.

However, I am fortunate that I have a ScrewFix outlet in town now. Same Company, same stuff just a lot cheaper.

Never mind John, at least the staff are nice and they do a good coffee.

Whilst B&Q do 10% discount for over 60s on Wednesdays, Focus do it every day.

If you can't convince B&Q that you are over 60, go for a trade card - 5% + free delivery etc. You are a self-employed boat fitter aren't you?

Edited by dor

It's a couple of years since I last set foot the place, mostly the same stuff but everything is moved around and there is a posh new café.. Very odd, some things are absurdly cheap but most very expensive.. Anyone fitting out a boat, should take a look at the shower cubicles, there are a few which would fit very neatly into a boat with very little modification..

I always wanted to fit a complete unit or at least some nice glass or perspex doors but I could never quite find anything suitable at the right price.. Oh yes they have more chandlery stuff than many a boaty place, rope, chain, shackles bungees and the like.

As I came out there was a bloke being apprehended with a full trolley load of stuff, probably forgot to pay for it.. Well the place is in Oldham.

Thinking of having a run up to B & Q this afternoon for a few bits and pieces.. I am told that they will give me a 10% reduction on all their prices today on production of a bus pass, don't know yet if this reflects their generosity or is an indication of the kind of substantial margins they work on.Anything worth looking out for ? (apart from stacker trucks)
Where have you been John? I got my B&Q , Focus, and Boots 10% cards within a week of my 60th birthdayWe get 10% off every day at B&Q and Focus because they are virtually next to each other. Edited by David Schweizer

My local council won't give me a bus pass cause it gets withdrawn if you don't use it & I am hardly ever there to use it. I did get a pink card when I retired from the nice pension people.

Sue

Someone is winding you up Sue. Frequency of usage is not a condition of the issue of Local bus passes.

Anyway how will they know? The Drivers barely look at the passes let alone record any details.

I have absolutely no intention of stating my Bus pass No. Nor showing my pic here in case I'm DELETED!! My bus drivers usually do a double take when they see the pass (purrs in glee!)

Any cast off really warm clothing for the newly-semi-retired will be gladly accepted as I truly did not realise how much money my erstwhile full time employer spent on keeping me warm, in tea and water up til 5.30

Now I change out of 'office clothes' on Weds pm and don warm leggings, ugly joggy bottoms, heavy sweats and look like a Michelin man/woman (Well tits seem to be optional, eh?) until the next Monday am. Just cos I fouled up and got to 61 yrs and want/need NOT to work?

I STILL HAVE TO PAY GAS, ELEC ETC ok just got my £200 heating allowance, still need the car as the bus service is 1 per hour to only 1 local town, still need to buy a few Chrissies presents, still need the ocasional meal - oh golly just forgot I still got a mortgae n credit card.

Why do us OLDS just do not deserve the same kind of hopes n ambitions,or lifestyles as any younger people do?

Anyone know a good place to curl up and die? VERY QUIETLY and not disturbing any other living peeps? I would hate to be considered a normal living human being by some of you just because I have a number after my name which seems a bit hard to accept.

Think yourself lucky Sue that your not starting out in life with £12000 owing for uni. and then a £ 175000 mortgage hung around your neck. Then there's the accidental prenancy and having to get a car so that you can lug baby around to hospital and doctors and the central heating boiler has failed so you neeed a new one and.........

Now whats it like to retire?

Think yourself lucky Sue that your not starting out in life with £12000 owing for uni. and then a £ 175000 mortgage hung around your neck. Then there's the accidental prenancy and having to get a car so that you can lug baby around to hospital and doctors and the central heating boiler has failed so you neeed a new one and.........

:D

Lucky? It's a lot more difficult than you think.

Whist I strongly disagree with whole idea University loans, You cannot be as poor as you are pretending to be. You do not start paying back the loan until your personal annual income exceeds £15,000 and to secure a £175.000 Mortgage you would need to have an income of £35/40k. With repayments amounting to roughly £12/13 k per annum, even after Tax and N.I. that still leaves a lot for the baby and car. Far more than many of us "pensioners" have.

Edited by David Schweizer

No offence Yoda but there is nothing new in what you say, as it has never been easy starting out - unless you have a wealthy benefactor.

Our first house cost £7500 and we could only get an 80% mortgage so just getting the deposit together was difficult. There was no family allowance (child benefit) for the first child, no tax credits etc. plus in the 70s the Labour government had lost control of the economy so pay rises were capped but inflation was soaring. This led to me being made redundant twice so it was not an easy life.

In terms car ownership. Currently a ten year old car worth peanuts (I've got one) which has a minimum of maintenance will reliably start after standing out in any weather and is likely to pass an MOT without problem. In the 70s a 5 year old car would have serious rot and reliabilty was not on the options list.

So basically been there, seen it, done it and dont want the T-shirt.

There's a very cute blue eyed blonde works on the tills at our B&Q, she's worth looking out for!

Much as I hate to appear smug, I bought my house just before all that raging inflation and other stuff, it cost me the astronomic sum of £4,000, the mortgage was £28 per month.. Within a very few years the house was worth 3 times what I had paid and the monthly mortgage though increased slightly was about the price of a round of drinks.

Twenty five years on and the building society privatisation was in full swing, as I was close to paying off the house, I rang the society and asked "How can I keep my feet in the trough so I don't miss out", just withhold your final payment the good lady replied, and so it was they paid me £4,000 as my share of the spoils.

How's that for smug !

No offence Yoda but there is nothing new in what you say, as it has never been easy starting out - unless you have a wealthy benefactor.

So basically been there, seen it, done it and dont want the T-shirt.

I didn't mean to start something. I was in the same 'boat' as you.

I just got my first house and the mortgage rate went up 8%, taking half my monthly salery. I lived 25 miles from where I worked so had to have a car. In the end I was living on parent handouts and any cash work I could find.

I think that its worse now than when I was young. I do not agree with paying for education at any age. I pay taxes so that children can have free education and I will pay more to keep it that way. I believe that the social security system in this country has been so badly corrupted that we should start again. Unfortuneately the world standing of a country is determined by how its social services operate. In this country it is very good and we are near the top of the tree. So the 'havenots' are more equal than the so-called 'haves' who have to work harder for their lot.