tackle discoloration in wood.....

Featured Posts

Hi All

We're having a shift around inside and removed a seat. Its revealed discoloration in the wood which is going to be a tad unsightly. Although it looks damp this seems historic.  I was thinking sanding down and varnish unless anyone has anything else i can try?  Would this sort of discoloration sand off?  thanks!!!!

rob

20221105_134516.jpg

I doubt it will sand out but you may be lucky that it is just the varnish discoloured. Either way you will have to get through the varnish back to bare wood, but be very careful not to sand through the veneer,  assuming that is what it is. A wash with a mild bleach solution may work, if not try using some oxalic acid. Again take care not to soak the wood especially if it is mdf or ply and follow the destructions on the oxalic acid.

1 minute ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks for the recommendations. Does it matter which type of BKF to go for, would this do?

Bar Keepers Friend, Cleanser, 12 oz 340 g | eBay

rob

It says it contains oxalic acid, but not how much.Though Mr google says it only contains 10%, so may not have that much effect. I must admit, I have never tried it myself, but remember people recommending it for stain removal on wood. 

Leave it for a while and the damp, which has been trapped by the varnish will probably evaporate.   Removing the varnish with stripper will speed things up. 

Do not sand the veneer itself.  Veneers are frighteningly thin and you will soon expose the ply behind the veneer.

N

8 minutes ago, pete.i said:

I would have a look behind that panel as well if you can. There is a run stain on the flooring below that stain it COULD mean that there is a leak behind the panel.

yes im planning to next time i visit the boat this weekend.... :)