Is this connection ok?

Adam1991

Featured Posts

Hi all, I’ve been advised to trim my 10mm sq cables running to my jabsco pump and connect 2mm spade connectors to make the connection to the thin pump cable. 

Is this method reliable enough and from the image below is it a decent job of trimming and connecting the connector (an example

of my planned trimming and crimping work on an offcut of the cable) 

thanks! 

0F6AD6D2-F08E-4B3F-AAE7-109A2092C252.jpeg

Was it  a ratchet crimp tool?

Doesn't look like it to me.

If it's not a ratchet crimp tool it's not a secure connection.

Also if it has to be done this way it would be better to use yellow crimps and trim less off the cable.

Unless it fits inside the unit it would be better to use insulated crimps.

It will do the job, could be better with a yellow crimp properly crimped with a ratchet tool.  Can you get some heatshrink sleeving over the whole thing? That will take the bending strain off the joint.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

32 minutes ago, Adam Mc Gowan said:

Hi all, I’ve been advised to trim my 10mm sq cables running to my jabsco pump and connect 2mm spade connectors to make the connection to the thin pump cable. 

Is this method reliable enough and from the image below is it a decent job of trimming and connecting the connector (an example

of my planned trimming and crimping work on an offcut of the cable) 

thanks! 

For some reason, you picked the red connectors. These are small wire size crimps. You could use the blue, or larger yellow crimps. These would save trimming much or any. I would also use heat-shrink to finish the job. Pull your crimping when done, to test the crimping. 

One other small note - your wire should just be visible beyond the crimping section. 

Edited by Higgs

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Without wishing to sound stupid... Why do you need such fat cable for a water pump? It must draw about 5 amps. Are the cable runs particularly long? 

Possibly a long boat with pump in the bow and battery in the stern.   Even on a 50' boat I would use 10mm to avoid volts drop.

• Greenie 2

Thanks for the responses, it’s very helpful. I only have a set of manual crumpets hence the crimping not being so spot on. I plan to heatshrink the connection too. I will also use a larger connector when I connect the actual cables as advised. Thanks everyone for your help. This forum has been a great tool to check things are safe and correct! 

All best, 

Adam 

Guideline:

Red    0.5 - 1.5 mm2

Blue    1.5 - 2.5 mm2

Yellow  4 - 6 mm2

(from sales listings of 6.3mm terminals, on the https://electricaldiscountedsupplies.com/product/red-female-spade-connector-terminals-6-3mm/ website)

I am guessing the 10mm2 recommendation is due to the length and the resultant voltage drop? Does it really need to be 10mm2, I would seek to understand exactly why here. 

29 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Guideline:

Red    0.5 - 1.5 mm2

Blue    1.5 - 2.5 mm2

Yellow  4 - 6 mm2

(from sales listings of 6.3mm terminals, on the https://electricaldiscountedsupplies.com/product/red-female-spade-connector-terminals-6-3mm/ website)

I am guessing the 10mm2 recommendation is due to the length and the resultant voltage drop? Does it really need to be 10mm2, I would seek to understand exactly why here. 

Trimming down 10mm2 cable to 6mm2 or even 1.5mm2 for the last 5mm to fit into a crimp terminal doesn't matter a toss in terms of volt drop. 

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

10mm cable with bootlace ferrule into terminal block, bootlace ferrule 6mm cable out of terminal block to crimp. Terminal block fixed to wall not left lose on the floor.

More joints than necessary, more scope for failures. 

Jus' sayin'!