Nasty niffs from pump out

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't think it is a dump through because of that big corrugated plastic hose. Dump troughs do not have those. The base looks rather small to contain a macerator and motor so probably a vacuum toilet. If any effluent lies in that hose you are likely to gets smells through the hose wall and thus inside the boat and the first photo you put up showed effluent and paper lying below the bowl.

Yay we're getting somewhere. I think I stated early on there was a sound that felt a bit vaccummy (technical word). Hubby said we need to take bed base apart to investigate further (and that needs the sofa bed to arrive first) but he thinks the tank is under the bed.

Any recommendations how we clean the output pipe based on Tony's comment? Or do we dismantle and replace?

4 minutes ago, Spudwynk said:

dismantle and replace?

Old pipe becomes permeable and lets the smells leach out, Start with a new piece of (PROPER) toilet piping - not some washing machine pipe, or something from B&Q. It'll cost more but it will stop the smell for a few years.

You Know It makes Sense.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, Spudwynk said:

Yay we're getting somewhere. I think I stated early on there was a sound that felt a bit vaccummy (technical word). Hubby said we need to take bed base apart to investigate further (and that needs the sofa bed to arrive first) but he thinks the tank is under the bed.

Any recommendations how we clean the output pipe based on Tony's comment? Or do we dismantle and replace?

Fit a new quality length from Lee Sanitation

Unless you are sure they are of the highest quality and avoid chandlers and boatyards, there seems to be a load of rubbish about that allows smell to permeate the wall.

Better still replace with solid waste pipe like you may have a home.

Look at the hose routing because I think all that liquid and paper your first photo showed should have been evacuated into the tank.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

If we accept that is the case then you know what to do. Avoid conventional Blue but expect even nastier niffs for the next few pump outs. Try some of the product recommended above. Then locate the tank breather, assuming the builder fitted one and ensure it is at least 22mm diameter, then work out how to fit another at the opposite end of the tank. If none of that works make up a computer fan in a box that you put into one breather to expel air. The alternative is fitting another and probably more expensive semi-convetional toilet or changing to a cassette type toilet.

Third alternative, fit a proper sea toilet to the tank. No smell ever.

If it's a vacuum toilet you need to replace the carbon filter regularly or pipe the output from the vacuum pump overboard to avoid smells inside. I originally specified a skin fitting for the vacuum output pipe on our boat but ended up with an open outlet under the bed utilising the supplied carbon filter. This sealed cartridge filter lasted a few months and I replaced it with an ice cream carton that I refill with activated carbon that I buy by the kilogram from aquarium suppliers.