The red diesel headache for pleasure boat operators

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Why not indeed, it's your choice as to how healthily or otherwise you lead your life.

Not wishing to breath in diesel exhaust is rather different for being green.

I've never had a boat engine with an ecu, even recent ones: what sort of proportion do engines with ECUs make up amongst narrowboat diesels?

I doubt that the amount of rare metals in narrowboat engines is of much significance, apart perhaps for those boats powered by batteries and electric motors which may have more.

As modern narrowboat engines are usually based on plant engines which are now getting ECU’s and adblue I’m guessing it won’t be long before they arrive on a canal near you….it’s not economical for manufacturers to not use the same base engine….then just as in the plant and automotive world I’m guessing companies will be offering adblue and DPF delete chips due to all the issues such units cause…all the more likely with narrowboats given the low load/low running speeds…funny how those parameters ideally fit vintage diesels though. 

24 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Problem with that is the supply of steam coal from the last pit in Wales has almost dried up, although they have been granted a short extension to extract, (and yesterday were invaded by idiots from Extintion Rebellion!) 

Perhaps the mine owners (is it still British Coal?) are waiting until all the E.R. bods have safely reached the bottom of the shaft before closing it and filling it in.

But my point was made in jest, in response to a post which advocated the replacement of diesel-powered machinery by other types. Obviouisly they meant cleaner, greener power sources, so it amused me to think of the Aveling & Porters being brought out of retirement and trundling around work sites belching steam and coal smoke!

It would be quite a sight to see, though.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

Perhaps the mine owners (is it still British Coal?) are waiting until all the E.R. bods have safely reached the bottom of the shaft before closing it and filling it in.

But my point was made in jest, in response to a post which advocated the replacement of diesel-powered machinery by other types. Obviouisly they meant cleaner, greener power sources, so it amused me to think of the Aveling & Porters being brought out of retirement and trundling around work sites belching steam and coal smoke!

It would be quite a sight to see, though.

Of course when the grid fails due to overload from all the cars etc being charged then an Aveling & Porter will still be able to carry on rolling…..

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, frangar said:

As modern narrowboat engines are usually based on plant engines which are now getting ECU’s and adblue I’m guessing it won’t be long before they arrive on a canal near you

So are your saying now that ECUs are currently not used on the small diesels fitted to narrowboats, so the use of such metals is not an issue and no damage is caused to the countries where such metals are mined because a narrowboater buys a new diesel engine?

8 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

So are your saying now that ECUs are currently not used on the small diesels fitted to narrowboats, so the use of such metals is not an issue and no damage is caused to the countries where such metals are mined because a narrowboater buys a new diesel engine?

I never said they were fitted at present. I said they will be fitted. Stop trying to be clever. 

20 minutes ago, Chris John said:

I’m alright Jack f*** others grand children 

I don’t have random…or any…children on the back of my boat…I’m strongly allergic to them…of course overpopulation of the planet is another form of pollution so a few less would be a good thing. 

Edited by frangar

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

I never said they were fitted at present. I said they will be fitted. Stop trying to be clever. 

I don’t have random…or any…children on the back of my boat…I’m strongly allergic to them…of course overpopulation of the planet is another form of pollution so a few less would be a good thing. 

Oh but you did, and I quote:

Have you considered the environmental impact of making a new engine every few years along with the ECU etc and the rare metals that needs so you can feel green??….maybe ask those in developing countries where the minerals are mined how they are getting on and how their environment is? 

Just now, Bargebuilder said:

Oh but you did, and I quote:

Have you considered the environmental impact of making a new engine every few years along with the ECU etc and the rare metals that needs so you can feel green??….maybe ask those in developing countries where the minerals are mined how they are getting on and how their environment is? 

Does it say anything about that engine being fitted to a narrowboat?…..go on do tell me….

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Does it say anything about that engine being fitted to a narrowboat?…..go on do tell me….

In your previous post on the thread to which you were contributing you wrote:

"I’ve stood behind the stack for my lovely JP2 for 30 years and I’m still here…..and I’m not going to give it up anytime soon."

So I assume that you were talking about narrowboat engines.

27 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

In your previous post on the thread to which you were contributing you wrote:

"I’ve stood behind the stack for my lovely JP2 for 30 years and I’m still here…..and I’m not going to give it up anytime soon."

So I assume that you were talking about narrowboat engines.

Perhaps best never to assume….I was saying that DPF/ECU etc & adblue are now a thing on small plant engines it won’t be long before they are appearing on a canal…..but of course you didn’t want to understand that part did you. 

10 minutes ago, frangar said:

Perhaps best never to assume….I was saying that DPF/ECU etc & adblue are now a thing on small plant engines it won’t be long before they are appearing on a canal…..but of course you didn’t want to understand that part did you. 

I think we all read and understood what you said.

• Greenie 2

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

It did make us chuckle on Saturday as we were sat in traffic in the Portsmouth clean air zone surrounded by "clean running" Euro 6 vehicles while sat at her berth beside us was one of Brittany Ferries finest sat with the massive diesel generators thumping away and smoke visibly billowing from the engine exhausts.

The irony wasn't lost on us.

Likewise in Ireland where there are notices on the quay saying "no engine idle area" all day moored right beside the notice was this. I bet they pummped out more than all the cars and vans do in a year.

IMG_20220630_163354 (2).jpg

7 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Is that the one where the guy put up a video on YouTube? Where he connected the huge diesel generator to a site transformer to recharge the thing? Other people commenting on his video seemed to be able to get a full shift from one charge …

I guess it depends on the "duty cycle" of such a machine. For example JCB DO sell electric telehandlers. And one can imagine, on a farm or construction site, it might see the type of use where its used for a half hour or an hour, then left idle, then used sporadically again thru the day. For that kind of use, electric is a good fit (its clearly going to be more expensive though, bleeding edge etc).

For a backhoe loader, its duty cycle is probably much higher, being used all day to eg dig trenches on a construction site, or another repetitive job for an entire shift. Not such a good fit for electric, until the batteries and charging technology are a bit more advanced.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Paul C said:

For a backhoe loader, its duty cycle is probably much higher, being used all day to eg dig trenches on a construction site, or another repetitive job for an entire shift. Not such a good fit for electric, until the batteries and charging technology are a bit more advanced.

Likewise tractors and other farm machinery.