Propellers

Farey

Featured Posts

I need to replace the damaged propeller on my 60' narrowboat. I've exchanged emails with Clements Engineering, who wanted to know details about my boat and engine. I then talked to my local boatyard, who recommended Michigan Marine, who seem to be considerably cheaper. Does anyone have any experience of either?

7 hours ago, Farey said:

I need to replace the damaged propeller on my 60' narrowboat. I've exchanged emails with Clements Engineering, who wanted to know details about my boat and engine. I then talked to my local boatyard, who recommended Michigan Marine, who seem to be considerably cheaper. Does anyone have any experience of either?

Your existing damaged prop will have the diameter and pitch stamped into it somewhere, usually on the boss. Just order another one the same. 

The hard bit is knowing the taper and Woodruff key size. For that, you'll need to get the old one off first and measure. Or take a chance and guess. 

I suspect Clements are asking about boat and engine becuase you may have been unable to supply this data, and they are willing to make an educated guess based on boat type and engine. 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Your existing damaged prop will have the diameter and pitch stamped into it somewhere, usually on the boss. Just order another one the same. 

Or, just get it repaired - you could probably spin the repair out for at least a year (if you so wished) 

"Sorry C&RT, cannot move, no prop, awaiting its repair"

7 hours ago, Farey said:

Try these guys. I've used them and found their quality to be excellent and their price the best I could find at the time.

https://falpropellers.co.uk/

They will also offer sensible advice.

I would suggest talking to Norris's of Isleworth (google) . Diameter and pitch should be stamped on prop. Dependant upon age taper may be an issue. Even Midland Chandlers sell props but no idea of their quality. Unfortunately Crowthers have stopped trading.  They were  a  delight  to deal with. 

9 hours ago, Slim said:

Even Midland Chandlers sell props but no idea of their quality.

The new ones they sell look very good Indeed.  I haven't used one but I have been shown a few - very heavy casting with plenty of "meat" on them and look like they would chop through a shopping trolley!

Apparently after they got bought by LKQ they started getting props through their parent company rather than their previous suppliers.  They mostly sell Michigan Canal Line range now.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Grammar