Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

Yes it was the protest cruise, one that did nae good however.

The view is at Norton Canes near Conduit No 3 where  J K Jerome's father was manager, The view shows the Norton Branch crossing which the LNWR and LMS would have raised to compensate for mining subsidence associated with No 3 and No 4 pits. The main basin for Conduit No 3 had access on the far side of the railway bridge, but there was also another basin whose entrance is seen on the left. The L& H Trust site mentions possible subsidence affecting the height of the side bridge there,

48 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

nice clue, glad you explained it

Me too. I realised once the answer was known it wasn’t directly related to JKJ’s birthplace.

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Yes it was the protest cruise, one that did nae good however.

The view is at Norton Canes near Conduit No 3 where  J K Jerome's father was manager, The view shows the Norton Branch crossing which the LNWR and LMS would have raised to compensate for mining subsidence associated with No 3 and No 4 pits. The main basin for Conduit No 3 had access on the far side of the railway bridge, but there was also another basin whose entrance is seen on the left. The L& H Trust site mentions possible subsidence affecting the height of the side bridge there,

Where did the Norton branch run to and from?

On 13/12/2023 at 06:47, Heartland said:

And now another question. Where could this be ?

There is a railway bridge, basin, sunken boats and the clue is "Three Men in a Boat"

And something to stimulate the grey cells of Goliath!

645782.jpg

That boat just emerging from the bridge looks like Malaya, which just a few years later lived at Deptmore Lock near Stafford. There was a recent-ish article in Waterways World covering a restoration and updating of Malaya. I saw it a few times in the Olden Days and it was gorgeous.

The Norton Branch was an extended basin where the Norton Springs Tramway terminated. This was a BCN owned tramway that went towards Five Ways. The route was taken by the London & North Western new branch railway to Coppice Colliery.

Now another BCN question, Walking along canals where railway sidings were close by the fencing could be wood.

624371.jpg

Are we back at Tipton?

Tipton had everything you mention in the clue.

where exactly I don’t know yet,

I’ll have a closer look. 

must be somewhere in the vicinity of  Caggys Yard?

or by Factory Junction ?

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Yes "nip to" is an anagram of TIPTON now you have to work out "Proof" and may be follow the chain of thought.

The nearby pub is said to be a rock pub playing anything from Abba to ZZ top. The beer used to be good too.

Edited by Heartland

This is a short thread with some interesting comments/pointers for the area

Now I know why it’s called Factory Jn.

I don’t know how to link to threads, would someone be kind enough to create a link please? Thanks👍

Kier's Soap Works, Tipton

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Yes well done the grey cells are definitely stimulated - is it Banks or Holdens?

The proof house is seen before demolition and the railway (Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton) is seen behind. That railway was disused although there was a short section of track that served a wagon works at that time, but now gone.

Now another Question these canal side buildings may be easy to identify they were near Sleck Hillock.

636073.jpg