Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

Is that Lifford, Worcester & Birmingham canal?

ETA - I'll answer myself; no it isn't.

I thought it looked like it might the point where the original Birmingham & Gloucester line (better known these days as the Camp Hill line) crossed the W&B but the curvature and towpath are wrong for that.

So how about the same railway where it crosses the GU below Camp Hill top lock?

Edited by Captain Pegg

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

So how about the same railway where it crosses the GU below Camp Hill top lock?

That's the location of my Google Streetview shot.

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

the only other Battlebridge I know is on the Shannon and doesn't look like that!

Are you not familiar with the one behind Kings Cross Station?

Edited by David Mack

3 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Do you mean on the river Crouch? 

Genuine question as I had no idea those gates ever existed and the only other Battlebridge I know is on the Shannon and doesn't look like that!

Yes.  Oboat is correct and it's Battlebridge, Essex 

D Mack shows the location but does not identify it.

All other suggestions are off the mark.

The Location is Birmingham, Warwick & Birmingham Canal looking to lock 6. What makes this image of interest is it shows the former Hearl & Tonks factory, which was occupied by James Cycles also for a time. James made cycles and motorcycles at Greet later

The railway bridge is the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway Camp Hill Line, later Midland, LMS, BR and now used by some passenger services. There are plans for more passenger trains as three new stations are made.

By Lock 6 is Sampson Road Warehouses.

39 minutes ago, Heartland said:

D Mack shows the location but does not identify it.

All other suggestions are off the mark.

The Location is Birmingham, Warwick & Birmingham Canal looking to lock 6. What makes this image of interest is it shows the former Hearl & Tonks factory, which was occupied by James Cycles also for a time. James made cycles and motorcycles at Greet later

The railway bridge is the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway Camp Hill Line, later Midland, LMS, BR and now used by some passenger services. There are plans for more passenger trains as three new stations are made.

By Lock 6 is Sampson Road Warehouses.

Duh, only went down Camp Hill locks last week. Didn’t recognise it as the image didn’t have a Tesco container on it.

Goes to show things look different coming the other way (which we did 2 years ago….)  😂

IMG_2023-11-10-183437.thumb.jpeg.8f03587cde7a11d3fc9bb14be2f9f5f7.jpeg

• Happy 1

It looks like Wheaton Aston to me.

I remember the steps are to high for me to get off and I have to use the lock ladder

The hedge stands a fair bit higher now, if I remember rightly, obscuring the cottage a fair bit.

The large building is gone?, don’t know what happened to it.

Here’s a view from above the lock which shows the larger building looking derelict,

had there been a fire?

D2AAD210-2EFD-469C-BE71-3EBA55557F58.jpeg.8888888a99f0ee3f617371697f7cc9ed.jpeg

Yes beer obviously stimulates the little grey cells

It is Wheaton Aston Lock

The larger building is of interest as it was no doubt canal workers houses, but is this recorded anywhere?

Looking at the 1911 summary books, of the 4 lock cottages 1 was unoccupied

George Clay widower 66 was the canal agent evidently at the cottage beside the lock

Arthur Bird and his family, who was a Shropshire Union Bank tenter lived in one of the adjacent cottages and the other was the home of a gardener

Edited by Heartland

I hope to pass there tomorrow,

I’ll try and take a photo from a similar angle to compare. 

IMG_6762.jpeg.028c16910f86789d6c77da28ef8ba430.jpegMeanwhile in the same neck of the woods:

Easily recognisable but any history about it would be welcome.
I believe it’s one of the cases where the land owner said yes you can come through my land but you need to do it to my requirements. 

The balustrade I see is cast cement, is it an addition to the original design?

I believe it’s connected to Chillington Hall. It’s a lovely walk around a mile of straight now woodland. The bridge would have disrupted this avenue which was related to a grand entrance to the Hall. 

Im sure there’s more history, the whole bridge looks to have been built all at once rather than adding balustrades later. I think they are sandstone not concrete, looks similar with sand and aggregate in concrete. 

The hall is also worth looking round Im told.

A one hour walk further up is Boscobel House and oak tree where Charles 2nd is strongly alleged to have hidden after he fled from civil war and is part of the Monarchs way which crosses several canals including the W&B Stratford and Droitwich. It’s a long walk is that😂

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

m sure there’s more history, the whole bridge looks to have been built all at once rather than adding balustrades later. I think they are sandstone not concrete, looks similar with sand and aggregate in concrete.

Yes, I think your right, all put together at the same time,

but the rail and balusters are dead rough, I’m certain they’re cast,

• 2 weeks later...