Acknowledging passing boaters

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes in my experience 95% of boaters in the south exchange a wave. Perhaps contrary to the OP's theory it's actually miserable northern boaters who don't?

I know you're joking, but perhaps the rudest boater I've ever encountered was evidently Northern. We were about to nose into a mooring near the winding hole at Napton, so our back end was sticking out and we were virtually immobile, when a share-boat came teararsing round the bend and had to screech to a halt to avoid ramming us. I called out my customary "Good afternoon", to be met with the response "Don't you bluddy well 'Good afternoon' me!" He trundled past growling "Shouldn't be on t'bluddy cut" and similar pleasantries.

In the early '60s my best6 friend's Dad drove a Volkswagen beetle, and the waving practice when a similar car passed was universal. I suppose that, on roads populated mainly by Fords, Austins and Morrises they felt like members of nan exclusive club. Nowadays if you waved to every passing VW, your arm would be a blur.

14 hours ago, Ray T said:

"'ow do!"

😁

I've switched to using that phrase by default.  It avoids that nagging worry that I may have just said "Good Morning" to someone at a minute past noon ...

13 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

you should be careful with it, Eugene (well alright, Arthur)

There could be concern that Arthur is one of several species of small furry animals, or worse, a Pict!

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I've switched to using that phrase by default.  It avoids that nagging worry that I may have just said "Good Morning" to someone at a minute past noon ...

There could be concern that Arthur is one of several species of small furry animals, or worse, a Pict!

As long as he's not Arnold.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, nicknorman said:

It all comes back to the land culture of your yoof. When you drove past Mrs  Bloggs house in your Ford Anglia, it would never occur to you to wave because you were a motorist and she was householder, and vice versa. You would only wave at other passing Ford Anglia drivers, and she would only wave at other passing houses, which was rarely. ‘Tis the same on the water, moored boats are not boats they are houses, and boats passing one’s moorings are not houses, they are vehicles. We are subconsciously still very tribal.

When moving on the boat I always wave at passing boaters and acknowledge those who wave at me from moored boats.

When moored I wave at those who pass by at a courteous speed.

When at home I wave at the regular boaters and those who see me at the window and wave to me first.

Whether fishermen wave or not is dependent upon how long it is since they took a misery pill (needed to get them in the right frame of mind). If they wave I will wave back to them.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

When moving on the boat I always wave at passing boaters and acknowledge those who wave at me from moored boats.

When moored I wave at those who pass by at a courteous speed.

When at home I wave at the regular boaters and those who see me at the window and wave to me first.

I like to wave at people in gardens or windows, they always seem happy to see boats pass.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Whether fishermen wave or not is dependent upon how long it is since they took a misery pill (needed to get them in the right frame of mind). If they wave I will wave back to them.

Also it's difficult for them when they've got their rod in their hand, if you get my drift.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I like to wave at people in gardens or windows, they always seem happy to see boats pass.

This was not true of the chap we passed in the flats that overlook the Macc in Congleton, who was stood making a brew wearing nothing but an air of surprise. This has become part of the phenomenon when we’re boating known as “naked wednesday” as it always seems to be a Wednesday if we see someone in the buff 😬

• Haha 2