Eberspacher HS3 D4E with EasyStart Pro

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MtB said:

1) Taking a step back this whole this smells fishy as feck.

2) All the advice coming out of Eberspacher is included in this. CH inhibitor is designed for use with ally HEs, most new boilers nowadays are ally. The source of water in the combustion chamber MUST be the HE despite what you've been told. And finally its hard to imagine how a rad system can be 'incompatible' (unless yours is microbore). It sounds to me like an excuse to get rid of you...

3) Check the antifreeze thread running now for info about the proper stuff. 

Sorry, have to ask. HE? Heat exchanger?

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Does your heating system have a header tank? Did you ever have to top it up to maintain the level? Or if no header, did the pressure in the system regularly fall to zero? 

Yes HE = heat exchanger.

To be honest Mike, it has never run long enough to require a top up. The quoted 111 hours running is taken up mainly as trying to start the blooming thing. The running hours came as a surprise to me. I realise running hours of anything build up without realising, but it’s been summer mainly between commissioning and now. At least the majority of that time we have been cruising of ‘suffering’ the National heat wave.

Have decided, that to add valves and other connectors to the existing radiator system is complicated. So, next week a very nice and good man it coming along to replace all piping with plastic pipes and adding valves etc. Then, and only then, will I know if it works as advertised.

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

To be honest Mike, it has never run long enough to require a top up. The quoted 111 hours running is taken up mainly as trying to start the blooming thing. The running hours came as a surprise to me. I realise running hours of anything build up without realising, but it’s been summer mainly between commissioning and now.

what I was getting at, was that the water in the HE can only have been in the fuel or be from circulating water. And if from the latter as currently suspected, the level in the header tank will have dropped by the amount of water entering the HE over the months you've had it.

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

what I was getting at, was that the water in the HE can only have been in the fuel or be from circulating water. And if from the latter as currently suspected, the level in the header tank will have dropped by the amount of water entering the HE over the months you've had it.

I get the gist of what you’re saying, ‘I’ foolishly, thought the issue was gunk and sludge from the radiators stopping the unit from working. So, all this time I have been pumping out the contents of the system numerous times and topping up and draining down and topping up. So there hasn’t been a continual ‘full’ capacity for any period of time.

Wish I wasn’t here. It’ll be alright on the night.

• Happy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update. All accessible pipe work and new radiators installed. Boiler installed.

All working fine now. In fact the unit is whirling away as I type.

The air intake was located under the deck boards and was being dripped on via a leaking deck board support joint. Obviously where the water was coming from. Relocated the air intake and sealed the joint with sealant. 

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

36 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

The air intake was located under the deck boards and was being dripped on via a leaking deck board support joint. Obviously where the water was coming from.

Well I never. All of us missed this blindingly obvious potential source of water in the HE of any diesel heater!

Thanks for the update and pleased you have it fixed.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, MtB said:

Well I never. All of us missed this blindingly obvious potential source of water in the HE of any diesel heater!

Thanks for the update and pleased you have it fixed.

So the pipework didn't need doing then. 

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

So the pipework didn't need doing then. 

Not for that reason, no. But, the configuration of the system was not correct for the Eberspacher. There were no valves on the radiators. Just a straight to and fro via the radiators on the return run.

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Not for that reason, no. But, the configuration of the system was not correct for the Eberspacher. There were no valves on the radiators. Just a straight to and fro via the radiators on the return run.

But you had it fitted by a proper installer who failed to mention that the configuration was wrong for the unit. That is why I am confused. Any way have a warm Christmas