Still a boat owner

carlt

Featured Posts

As you'll know I lost Usk two weeks ago to kiddies with matches.

On thursday Yoda (who is in the area) told me that very high tides were expected Friday morning which pleased me because the lifeboat has been stuck in the wet dock at Slaughden Quay, Aldeburgh waiting for a tide high enough to clear the shingle bar that's built up across the entrance.

Then, as the day went on, and the news that the tidal surge was expected to be higher than 1953, I started to worry.

Got up Friday am and watched news 24, sky news, the Ipswich webcam (don't bother) waiting for the worst.

As the surge made it's way south and it proved to be close, but no disaster, I breathed a sigh of relief. Then the one o'clock news reported that the surge had caused the Alde to break its banks and flood Aldeburgh from land side, rather than from the sea. This meant the breach was probably at Slaughden Quay, and the low point is the wet dock.

I started ringing the yard but there was no reply so I had to wait until today to get up there to see for myself.

When I got to the yard the wet dock had a Broads floating caravan, where my boat was so I thought "great, they've moved it out safely" but couldn't see it on the swinging moorings so we started walking up the river until finally, after going into a new time zone, we saw it moored up happily, in the middle of the river, about 2 miles away from the yard. Sadly I'd left the seagull on the lifeboat, the tide was on it's way out and the wind was blowing the wrong way and I didn't fancy my chances of rowing against that lot.

She's safe though and looking even sexier in her natural habitat, rather than stuck in the dock. I'll justy have to wait 'til next week to play though.

It's a huge relief, though. Losing two boats in a fortnight would have been downright careless.

As you'll know I lost Usk two weeks ago to kiddies with matches.

On thursday Yoda (who is in the area) told me that very high tides were expected Friday morning which pleased me because the lifeboat has been stuck in the wet dock at Slaughden Quay, Aldeburgh waiting for a tide high enough to clear the shingle bar that's built up across the entrance.

Then, as the day went on, and the news that the tidal surge was expected to be higher than 1953, I started to worry.

Got up Friday am and watched news 24, sky news, the Ipswich webcam (don't bother) waiting for the worst.

As the surge made it's way south and it proved to be close, but no disaster, I breathed a sigh of relief. Then the one o'clock news reported that the surge had caused the Alde to break its banks and flood Aldeburgh from land side, rather than from the sea. This meant the breach was probably at Slaughden Quay, and the low point is the wet dock.

I started ringing the yard but there was no reply so I had to wait until today to get up there to see for myself.

When I got to the yard the wet dock had a Broads floating caravan, where my boat was so I thought "great, they've moved it out safely" but couldn't see it on the swinging moorings so we started walking up the river until finally, after going into a new time zone, we saw it moored up happily, in the middle of the river, about 2 miles away from the yard. Sadly I'd left the seagull on the lifeboat, the tide was on it's way out and the wind was blowing the wrong way and I didn't fancy my chances of rowing against that lot.

She's safe though and looking even sexier in her natural habitat, rather than stuck in the dock. I'll justy have to wait 'til next week to play though.

It's a huge relief, though. Losing two boats in a fortnight would have been downright careless.

Thats good news indeed shipmate

I feared the worse for Emblem as her fully comp insurance was up and rather than pay 1200 quid for renewal i went for third party instead pending her sale which i might add is taking rather longer than hoped.

I know the highest tide at Chatham still gives me 2 meters on the piles but the forecast was for an extra 3 meters of tidal surge... Bugger...sods law wouldve declared the pontoons wuldve topped the piles and that wouldve been that. Thankfully all is well on the Medway.

You deserve a bit of luck. Hope she gives you many years

Glad she's ok Carl,when are we going to see some decent pics of her?
I've posted a few. If they're not up to the required standard I'll hire a professional photographer for some better quality shots :blink:8ae05USx9CesVScI1R2eIhN8YgBtxSNX-JAWv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

8ae05USx9CesVScI1R2eIhN8YsYoi41ln0C4v4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

8ae05USx9CesVScI1R2eIhN8YsEuMMEks7--v4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

8ae05USx9CesVScI1R2eIhN8YjcMJXVHrJ5Wv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

8ae05USx9CesVScI1R2eIhN8Ypyx2-s2WfRiv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

8ae05USx9CesVScI1R2eIhN8YsouWsxfCXvmv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

The batteries need some securing and the green walls in the engine room are copper! Time to buy shares in Brasso. 8ae05USx9CesVScI1R2eIhN8YqbXsPtxw9Env4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

There's a proper lifeboat's wheel on ebay at the moment (resist....RESIST!!)

8ae05USx9CesVScI1R2eIhN8YuWpMe9ST2Ypv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

8ae05USx9CesVScI1R2eIhN8YopgtkxndhkLv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpgTwin, 6 cylinder, 128 hp Ford mermaids.

Edited by carlt

Exciting times Carl. Good luck with the boat. Quite envoy you doing it up. Do you plan to take her out to sea as notice you say its on a river.

I've already ripped the insides out, back to the planking. She was a dive boat for a long time after finishing the rescue bit so it was kitted out for that, rather than a family boat.

Slaughden quay is about 100 yards from the sea, on foot, but nearly 10 miles by boat.

I'm moving her to Orford Quay, about 4 miles nearer the sea, next week, for the winter and then to her permanent moorings, on the Blackwater, in the Spring. We'll be nearer the sea then but it'll be river cruising between Snape maltings and the mouth, until then.

The 'shingle beach' across the mouth of the river is quite hazardous, so I only plan on doing it once.

The 'shingle beach' across the mouth of the river is quite hazardous, so I only plan on doing it once.

Having done it a few times myself Carl the bar deserves respect and caution but given a calm day and the right tide/wind conditions it is not as bad as the pilot books make it out to be. They rightly err on the side of caution.

You probably know this better than me (sorry possibly grandmothers and eggs) but do take local advice and if you can have a good long look at the bar at the top and bottom of the tide immediately prior to leaving, do so. It has been known to "wander" slightly.

Looks a great boat and with twin engines you won't have the probablity of that sudden rush to the bows to drop the hook when everything suddenly goes quiet.

Always a good thing in those waters :blink:

Have fun

Having done it a few times myself Carl the bar deserves respect and caution but given a calm day and the right tide/wind conditions it is not as bad as the pilot books make it out to be. They rightly err on the side of caution.

You probably know this better than me (sorry possibly grandmothers and eggs) but do take local advice and if you can have a good long look at the bar at the top and bottom of the tide immediately prior to leaving, do so. It has been known to "wander" slightly.

Looks a great boat and with twin engines you won't have the probablity of that sudden rush to the bows to drop the hook when everything suddenly goes quiet.

Always a good thing in those waters :blink:

Have fun

I suppose it's what you're used to. The Humber estuary was my old stomping ground and if I'd bothered reading about the perils there I may never have got my first boat. There's no substitute for local knowledge.

Getting a new hook is a top priority, there are three on the boat, the original RNLI one which is nearly as big as me and two others (a bruce and a Danforth) either of which will make a nice swap for my tender grappler, but not fit for much else.

she's great I'm jealous. I wanted to have a punt on Salty's MFV but Mrs Fuzzyduck wouldn't let me

She really is fantastic carl. so much character as well. Really hope she brings you much pleasure in both cruising and looking after.

Fuzz

Hopefully emblem will finally be sold this weekend, If not then ill be taking her to the Ostend at Anchor festival end of May..youd be more than welcome to a berth and a mini pin from the Nelson Brewery is normally on tap :(

She really is fantastic carl. so much character as well. Really hope she brings you much pleasure in both cruising and looking after.

Fuzz

Hopefully emblem will finally be sold this weekend, If not then ill be taking her to the Ostend at Anchor festival end of May..youd be more than welcome to a berth and a mini pin from the Nelson Brewery is normally on tap :(

Mmmm...Ostend. An interesting stop off en route to my permanent moorings (Orford to the Blackwater, never could get my head round this Navigation lark).

Eurobanter possibilities abound.

Mmmm...Ostend. An interesting stop off en route to my permanent moorings (Orford to the Blackwater, never could get my head round this Navigation lark).

Eurobanter possibilities abound.

Dont get me missing the old tub...i need her to sell otherwise its bread and water for swmbo. Me, still on spiritous liquid however :(

Is the lifeboat fit for such a journey, ive got the contact details if youd like em, Last year our neighbour was MARY JANE a dunkirk little ship whose rudder gave up the ghost on the crossing and the skipper piloted her using only the engines.

And to think, i subjected my daughter to that ruffian crew tut

Dont get me missing the old tub...i need her to sell otherwise its bread and water for swmbo. Me, still on spiritous liquid however :(

Is the lifeboat fit for such a journey, ive got the contact details if youd like em, Last year our neighbour was MARY JANE a dunkirk little ship whose rudder gave up the ghost on the crossing and the skipper piloted her using only the engines.

And to think, i subjected my daughter to that ruffian crew tut

The hull is certainly seaworthy, I've invested in some less antique electronics than the ones that came with her (the gps plotter was made before sputnik was launched) and the engines will be fettled over winter. They run fine I'm just happier if I know they've had the once-over.

There's just crew training to worry about, really, but swmbo will soon have me knocked into shape.

The hull is certainly seaworthy, I've invested in some less antique electronics than the ones that came with her (the gps plotter was made before sputnik was launched) and the engines will be fettled over winter. They run fine I'm just happier if I know they've had the once-over.

There's just crew training to worry about, really, but swmbo will soon have me knocked into shape.

;):(