Chimney Height

JoeC

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Try a different fuel, because even the same brand vary between batches.

Some of them are fine for ages then suddenly stink horribly on the next lot.

Thanks but I just prefer not reloading the stove before I move whatever particular smokeless fuel is being burned because I don't like breathing it in. I've stood by enough boats talking to people with fumes blowing in my face from a multitude of stoves presumably burning different types of smokeless to know that I don't like it. I just prefer breathing fresh unpolluted air.

I'm not sure why some people are telling me that I should try breathing it in? I'm not telling anyone else that they shouldn't. If you like breathing in smokeless fumes in that's fine with me! 🤣

Edited by blackrose

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thanks but I just prefer not reloading the stove before I move whatever particular smokeless fuel is being burned because I don't like breathing it in.

I'm not suggesting you do so, but I'm aware you really don't like the smell of stove smoke.  If your own is offending you (when moored) I'm suggesting you try a different one.

How is the low level forced ventilation working by the way?  That's how I know you don't like the smell.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm not suggesting you do so, but I'm aware you really don't like the smell of stove smoke.  If your own is offending you (when moored) I'm suggesting you try a different one.

How is the low level forced ventilation working by the way?  That's how I know you don't like the smell.

Yes it's working very well thanks. As you are aware it's not just my own stove fumes that I don't like, it's other people's too, so the particular type of smokeless is irrelevant. It all stinks as far as I'm concerned and I don't like breathing it directly as I can't imagine it can be very good for one's health.

I'm surprised that other people don't mind breathing it in, but I did say earlier that people might have different levels of tolerance. Perhaps I'm more sensitive to fumes than other people? 

Anyway, it's really not a big deal for me to light the stove after reaching my destination and mooring up.

• Greenie 1

On 13/04/2022 at 21:12, TheBiscuits said:

Nope.  Offside trees when you keep right when crossing with an oncoming boat.

If it was for tunnels and bridges it would only make sense in one direction, when the towpath is on the port side.

With the chimney on the port side, it should always be near the centre of the canal except when you get blown onto the wrong side in strong winds or you pass someone on the "wrong" side.

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not with the towpath to starboard.   In arched bridges a port side chimney can be very close to the stonework or brickwork.

True but that applies equally to having a stove on the starboard side with the towpath on the port side, plus the chimney will always be to the edge of the canal when passing boats.

On balance a chimney on the port side is less vulnerable than one on the starboard side.

Just now, cuthound said:

On balance a chimney on the port side is less vulnerable than one on the starboard side.

I completely agree with that, but as I said above it can't be to avoid bridges as that only works half the time.

One on the starboard side is wrong more than half the time as you correctly observed.

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I completely agree with that, but as I said above it can't be to avoid bridges as that only works half the time.

One on the starboard side is wrong more than half the time as you correctly observed.

It also doesnt help when the chimney is fitted without a "wedge" under the collar to keep it upright, so that the chimney leans towards the outside of the boat rather than being vertical.

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, cuthound said:

It also doesnt help when the chimney is fitted without a "wedge" under the collar to keep it upright, so that the chimney leans towards the outside of the boat rather than being vertical.

My chimney is port side mounted chimney and we rarely have issues, but it does  have this slight flaw. It sits on one of those cast iron bolt on lumps. I'm guessing they don't make 'em wedge shaped because of the bespoke nature of roof curves. It'll be coming off this summer though, so is that guess right? If it's an easy mod I could be tempted.

35 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm guessing they don't make 'em wedge shaped because of the bespoke nature of roof curves. It'll be coming off this summer though, so is that guess right?

No, they do straight ones or angled ones, but the straight ones are cheaper ...

You are correct they don't exactly fit roof curves, but they get closer than flat ones so need less sealant under them to get a closer to vertical chimney.

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

My chimney is port side mounted chimney and we rarely have issues, but it does  have this slight flaw. It sits on one of those cast iron bolt on lumps. I'm guessing they don't make 'em wedge shaped because of the bespoke nature of roof curves. It'll be coming off this summer though, so is that guess right? If it's an easy mod I could be tempted.

You can fit a hardwood wedge under one side of a collar to fill the gap when the collar is installed with the chimney in a vertical position.

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

No, they do straight ones or angled ones, but the straight ones are cheaper ...

You are correct they don't exactly fit roof curves, but they get closer than flat ones so need less sealant under them to get a closer to vertical chimney.

When I went shopping for a straight collar I couldn't find one for love or money, they were sold as straight but had a slight angle that only I could see, fitted roof curve perfectly but had to settle for a slightly jaunty chimney. 

Hmm, food for though @TheBiscuits and @cuthound. Can't say it's a job I'm fancying much, but the fire is gonna need to come out to re-tile the surround so I might as well have the roof collar off and renew all the sealants whilst I'm at it. I do have a bit of a worry too the nuts on the inside were put on before the headlining and haven't been made captive which would be a proper PITA. Anyone know how likely that is?