boat draft...0.91m...avoid canals or not????

philandiz

Featured Posts

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice..The last few comments made us laugh.We have decided to stick with her and are planning on getting her moved by road down South. Our confidence has been restored a bit and we are again thinking we have done the right thing.Many thanks to all!

.............Now then....wheres that mooring?

:rolleyes:

Panama - 106ft

suez - 980ft

cape cod - 540ft

I meant in the UK, you would need a proper boat to get to any of those.

Having said that whats the width restriction on the MSC?

Edited by idleness

Any omission will result in the pedants descending like vultures.

At least we do get answers to questions on this forum and I'd rather have all the infighting than no response at all. I'm a member of a motorbike forum for my particular bike and compared to us that lot are completely useless. I've posted comparatively simple questions about transmission fluid (it's a shaft drive) & the capacity of fork oil and nobody seems to know the answer. I think I'd probably have more luck asking here!

At least we do get answers to questions on this forum and I'd rather have all the infighting than no response at all. I'm a member of a motorbike forum for my particular bike and compared to us that lot are completely useless. I've posted comparatively simple questions about transmission fluid (it's a shaft drive) & the capacity of fork oil and nobody seems to know the answer. I think I'd probably have more luck asking here!

Straight 40's and 300 ml per leg.

Edited by John Orentas

Panama - 106ft

suez - 980ft

cape cod - 540ft

Panama's at a slight disadvantage cos of the locks.

I'm trying to think of lock free UK canals but they grey matter has stalled. Not un-common at the moment. :rolleyes:

Of course, bridge width and other obsticals may also come in to play

Or checking the manual? :rolleyes:

I meant in the UK, you would need a proper boat to get to any of those.

Having said that whats the width restriction on the MSC?

The larger lock at Eastham will take vessels about 80' beam.

Dunno about higher up.

Tim

Edited to remove stupid comment
This sort of thing should not be allowed, and should be stamped out by the mods. We want to see your stupid comments. I always leave mine in.I'd never post anything, otherwise (thought I'd put that in before everyone else does).
Thanks to all of you for your help and advice..The last few comments made us laugh.We have decided to stick with her and are planning on getting her moved by road down South. Our confidence has been restored a bit and we are again thinking we have done the right thing.Many thanks to all! .............Now then....wheres that mooring? :rolleyes:
Photos please?

Or checking the manual? :rolleyes:

If only it were that simple. The manual tells me to use an 80W gear oil (GL4 spec) but I guy I spoke to from Castrol say that Honda recommend a GL5 spec which means an 80W-90 transmission fluid. He reckoned the gears could weld together if I used GL4. Anyway, I won't bother to go into it any further here.

Edited by blackrose

My partner works on dredging the canals, at the moment they are dredging the K&A near Reading, the normal depth they dredge to is 1.3 to 1.4 metres, hope this helps, Wendy

That's sad, when you consider that it should be at least 1.8m. So under BW new rules the K&A even when freshly dredged is 0.5m shallower than it should be.................

Whatever happened to the BW pledge that they would dredge to the origional dimensions.

Julian

In terms of restoration it is very hard to insist on dredging to the original depth. On the Rochdale we fought long and hard to keep the original air draft and boat width, (yes the Rochdale was very nearly restored as a narrow canal) but in view of the traffic that was likely to use it, it was difficult to argue for the full original depth, the cost for that extra couple of feet assumed astronomic proportions..

The width of the channel was not maintained either but no one seemed to bother about that.

In terms of restoration it is very hard to insist on dredging to the original depth. On the Rochdale we fought long and hard to keep the original air draft and boat width, (yes the Rochdale was very nearly restored as a narrow canal) but in view of the traffic that was likely to use it, it was difficult to argue for the full original depth, the cost for that extra couple of feet assumed astronomic proportions..

The width of the channel was not maintained either but no one seemed to bother about that.

Thats one of the reasons that the previous owner of Parglena sold her as he was based on the Rochdale.

The K&A is the worst example as not only do they not dredge to the origional depth but the pounds in many places are kept low because they leak at what was the waterline and its cheaper not to fix the leaks.

Thats one of the reasons that the previous owner of Parglena sold her as he was based on the Rochdale.

The K&A is the worst example as not only do they not dredge to the origional depth but the pounds in many places are kept low because they leak at what was the waterline and its cheaper not to fix the leaks.

Not to mention the concrete channel between Bath and Bradford Upon Avon - left low so as to reserve water giving a hard bottom at 3' draft.

Good luck to Phil and Liz this weekend - if your maiden voyage is trouble free feel truly blessed ( they rarely are) - the stress will ease after a couple of years ( then, if you are like us, you decide to sail to Ireland and it all starts again.

Giles

You'd be fine in the North East, HUGE locks and much draft, apart from the Calder and Hebble and Leeds Liverpool. Also I think the Stainforth and Keadby is shorter too.

There used to be a Valiant 18 sailing cruiser (without the mast!) on The Lancaster Canal and I used to have one of these bilge keeled craft (thats two keels, fixed, one eac side on the hull to allow the boat to dry out in tidal moorings without tipping over) which drew about 2 and a half foot. I saw him moored at Carnforth once but I bet he had mooring issues especially as the keels are near the sides of the boat. They were (and still are) a cracking sailing boat, only 18 foot but sleeping full four adults and mine always handled well under sail or on the 4 hp outboard I had on her.

I think as long as you plan in advance, and don't forget turning round as well, even consulting with local BW offices, I think you'll be OK here and there, I wouldn't expect to get to Llangollen or up The Chesterfield though!!

At least you'll have plenty of internal space when you do find a mooring.

Edited by GRPCruiserman