Beta 30 cutting out

Midnight

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If all the joints are correctly made (and air-tight), it shouldn't make any difference.

My fuel filters are 4-feet above the pick up pipe in the fuel tank.

But the higher they are, the more likely it is you will get problems. I would have thought mounting the filter lower was definitely preferable.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But the higher they are, the more likely it is you will get problems. I would have thought mounting the filter lower was definitely preferable.

If it is possible then, yes, it would be better.

In my instance it cannot be any lower as the fuel tank is 4 feet deep in the boat keel (well below engine height). I know that is irrelevant to a canal boat, but I was simply saying that even at 4 feet above the fuel tank pick-up a well-found filter and pipework system should not be a problem.

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Whilst I don't discount an air leak the fact that the problem began just after the water trap in the picture was fitted (last November) and that the top of it is above the top of the diesel tank I am erring towards thinking that could a major factor in the problem. The intention is to fit the CAV filter lower using an extended fixing plate. Although the top will be lower than the top of the diesel tank by several inches I'm wondering if that will be enough. On my own boat the CAV is fitted to the counter so below the diesel tank. 

I just picked up on this and when I fitted Harnser I mounted one about level with the top of the engine in the engine room and had no end of problems with what I think was sucking air in through the seals. I moved it close to the fuel tank and problem solved. My reasoning was that everything from the lift pump to the tank is under vacuum and the highest vacuum would be where the unit was originally mounted, close to but above the engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Back down to see my friends with the Beta problem today. Was still cutting out after the last visit so re-made all joints cleaned and re-fitted the water trap filter and seals, fitted a new diesel filter housing and added jubilee clips to the rubber hoses from the filter.

Ran the engine for about an hour then noticed a slight diesel leak from the top of the pump. Not sure what this part is or does but took it out cleaned it and replaced it. Then ran the engine again - all okay so far.

The leak was from this (see pic) which has a loose tube crimped around the top - presumably to stop people like me removing it (gulp!).

Anyone know what it is?

leak1.jpg

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The loose tube suggest to me it is the maximum  fuel stop. As long as it went back in the same as it came out I doubt anything nasty will happen.

Thank you Tony wondered what it was. Replaced it exactly after cleaning the metal to metal seal. Didn't seem to weep afterwards. BTW you were right to question the seal on the water trap it looked to me like it was too small and was very flat. Changed it for one of those from a make-your-own O ring kits. The filter element had been wrongly fitted too.  Couldn't see any cracks in the old diesel filter housing but there was a bit of rust suggesting water at some point in the past.

Edited by Midnight

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Back down to see my friends with the Beta problem today. Was still cutting out after the last visit so re-made all joints cleaned and re-fitted the water trap filter and seals, fitted a new diesel filter housing and added jubilee clips to the rubber hoses from the filter.

Ran the engine for about an hour then noticed a slight diesel leak from the top of the pump. Not sure what this part is or does but took it out cleaned it and replaced it. Then ran the engine again - all okay so far.

The leak was from this (see pic) which has a loose tube crimped around the top - presumably to stop people like me removing it (gulp!).

Anyone know what it is?

leak1.jpg

Pretty sure that is the tensioner for the governor spring. When we got our new Beta 43 it used to hunt at idle. I eventually discovered this device. The cap is kind of a tamper proof thing because Beta set it up to meet some emissions criteria. Anyway I screwed it in a bit more and the hunting problem went away - I’d increased the tension in the governing system so it was better at overcoming the slight friction in the fuel metering control.

So if you lost the setting, back it off until the engine is prone to hunting at idle, then screw it in until the hunting just stops.

Edited by nicknorman

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Pretty sure that is the tensioner for the governor spring. When we got our new Beta 43 it used to hunt at idle. I eventually discovered this device. The cap is kind of a tamper proof thing because Beta set it up to meet some emissions criteria. Anyway I screwed it in a bit more and the hunting problem went away - I’d increased the tension in the governing system so it was better at overcoming the slight friction in the fuel metering control.

So if you lost the setting, back it off until the engine is prone to hunting at idle, then screw it in until the hunting just stops.

Thank you Nick. When I noticed it weeping I thought it was diesel spillage from bleeding but I wiped it several times and it just kept coming back. I checked that it wasn't a bit loose so took it out cleaned it a put it back. I didn't disturb the two locking nuts so it went back exactly as it was taken out. The engine seemed to run same as before, but TBH I ran it at higher revs than tick-over so I'll ask my mate to check tomorrow. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/02/2022 at 19:02, Midnight said:

Thank you Nick. When I noticed it weeping I thought it was diesel spillage from bleeding but I wiped it several times and it just kept coming back. I checked that it wasn't a bit loose so took it out cleaned it a put it back. I didn't disturb the two locking nuts so it went back exactly as it was taken out. The engine seemed to run same as before, but TBH I ran it at higher revs than tick-over so I'll ask my mate to check tomorrow. 

Prompted by another thread. I'm pleased to say that after we re-fitted the maximum fuel stop, swapped the hose crimps for jubilee clips and fitted a new O ring in the wasp filter the problem has been solved. The boat has arrived at the Club from Ripon with no further issues. Thank you for all the suggestions and help, especially Tony Brooks who is a star.