Problem with a surveyor

Featured Posts

On our boat all the hose outlets are via brass skin fittings like this and If I ever had another hull built I would never have them again but have steel welded pipe stubs. The reason is I have pinged off one and a half brass ones when they have caught something.. 

Maestrini DZR Through Hull Skin Fitting (3/4" BSP, 24mm Hose Tail)

• Unimpressed 1

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

On our boat all the hose outlets are via brass skin fittings like this and If I ever had another hull built I would never have them again but have steel welded pipe stubs. The reason is I have pinged off one and a half brass ones when they have caught something.. 

And I have had a welded steel pipe stub rust through where the plastic waste pipe fitting was screwed onto it. 

So I don't know what the answer is!

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Suppose for argument's sake the surveyor was correct and the boat is not RCD compliant. As it's only a year old then wouldn't some liability rest with the builder?

Providing the defect was as-built then all liability would rest with the builder .

It does sound like the boat builder altered the ballast and surveyor, at least to some extent if not entirely , got it wrong regarding the skin fittings.

• Greenie 1

Indeed, the surveyor did allow for that, the broker did say he thought the builder had not done adequate testing of stability as mentioned by Alan de Enfield, this was apparently the reason he gave for continuing to condemn the boat on his recheck after I had her reballasted.   Rather surprisingly they have sold many of this type of boat and only mine has been criticised by their surveyor who I gather they always use.   It will be interesting to see if they sell any in future.

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

And I have had a welded steel pipe stub rust through where the plastic waste pipe fitting was screwed onto it. 

So I don't know what the answer is!

Never thought of that but it's obvious really, it's always going to be wet.

I think you've got to be fairly unlucky to knock off a brass skin fitting but I guess it depends how exposed it is on the side of the boat, or whether it's protected by proximity to rubbing strakes.

But having any waste outlet too close to the waterline is never a good idea unless it's fitted with a proper seacock.

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That brass fitting really should be bronze (In fact it might be) I worry about these things, I have a proper one of these well below the waterline as a cooling water intake for the engine. The wall thickness of the threaded part is not great and by the time the thread has been cut it is even less, it has a proper valve fixed to it but I reckon if I tripped over the thing it could snap off below the valve. A decent thick steel pipe could be better and maybe the next time I get the boat hauled out I will do something about it.

5 minutes ago, Bee said:

That brass fitting really should be bronze (In fact it might be) I worry about these things, I have a proper one of these well below the waterline as a cooling water intake for the engine. The wall thickness of the threaded part is not great and by the time the thread has been cut it is even less, it has a proper valve fixed to it but I reckon if I tripped over the thing it could snap off below the valve. A decent thick steel pipe could be better and maybe the next time I get the boat hauled out I will do something about it.

I'm the meantime have a few corks & bungs ready in case you do trip over it!

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

I've got some! They're in a draw somewhere, or maybe a toolbox, or come to think about it I used them to prop a roof light open.........

9 minutes ago, blackrose said:

or change it for a proper Blakes type sea inlet that bolts through the hull.

Seacock 1 1/2"

You would more likely break your foot the snap one of those off. At least the modern ones don't use the taper plug cock.

Or better still a Stuart with combined strainer that you can rod through" when they get blocked with mud, bread wrappers etc.

CLASSIC BOAT BRONZE Seacock And Strainer - £14.00 | PicClick UK

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

or change it for a proper Blakes type sea inlet that bolts through the hull.

Seacock 1 1/2"

You would more likely break your foot the snap one of those off. At least the modern ones don't use the taper plug cock.

How do they seal now?

1 hour ago, JamesFrance said:

Indeed, the surveyor did allow for that, the broker did say he thought the builder had not done adequate testing of stability as mentioned by Alan de Enfield, this was apparently the reason he gave for continuing to condemn the boat on his recheck after I had her reballasted.   Rather surprisingly they have sold many of this type of boat and only mine has been criticised by their surveyor who I gather they always use.   It will be interesting to see if they sell any in future.

As has been mentioned previously, the insurance companies and surveyors meet (annually ?) and agree on their focus for the following year, there have been a few reports this year of 'rejected due to low 'thru-hull fittings' so that is obviously one of the 'focus items' and the probable reason that previous boats have not been identified with the problem.

Another very, very non-compliance with the RCD is the fuel tank inspection hatch (they don't fit one, despite it being a requirement) - no doubt one day that'll be a 'surveyor focus item'.

Does yours have a have a hatch ?

Each tank shall have an inspection hatch with at least 150 mm diameter. The inspection hatch shall, as a rule, be located on top of the tank, but for diesel oil tanks it may also be on the tank side. There shall be access to the inspection hatch when the tank is in position.

18 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Looks like a taper plug to me. And on that website it is described as "Blakes Seacock - The Original Taper Plug Valve".

What makes you think it isn't tapered?

Simply because the ones I remember had a taper plug valve at right angles to the flow, like a gas valve, with the strainer mounted directly on top. Strainer housing and cock all one casting.