For a fraction of the price of a flat - a Thames liveaboard for a family of 5

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Unless its about to sink it looks underpriced if it makes anywhere around its guide price. (Offers accepted before auction)

The River Thames houseboat that can fit a whole family on the market for less than a flat - Berkshire Live (getreading.co.uk)

The houseboat

........................................... But there’s another way to enjoy life without ties, and it doesn’t involve an expensive home conversion and weeks or months spent seeking planning permission etc.

This houseboat currently sits on the River Thames near Old Windsor, and could be the perfect alternative home for people looking for something new.

From just £81,000 families can go completely off the grid in this vessel - a fraction of the price of a similar-sized flat in many areas of the South East.

Length: 21.6 m Beam: 3.45 m Draft: 1.05 m Skeg: 1.2 m
Steel hull.
Engine: 120hp diesel, 6 cylinders. New with gearbox 2009, only used for 80 hours since so as good as new. With single lever morse type control.

4 to 8 berths
Very good headroom throughout
3-year safety certificate
Central heating [diesel] with several radiators. Hot & cold water to galley & washrooms, also immersion heater.
Saloon large, with dining area & sofa, carpet, TV etc. Side windows & skylight. The dining seats & the sofa convert to an extra 2 double beds.
Forward cabin, Double bed full size, wardrobe, chest of draws, carpet.
Rear cabin, small double bed, flush toilet, hand basin, cupboard, seating, carpet.
Bathroom, flush toilet, hand basin, large bath with jacuzzi & shower, mirror.
Wheelhouse / galley with all-round windows this can be folded for low bridges etc.

Stainless sink, 4 hotplate cookers with large oven & grill. Microwave, fridge, toaster, kettle, large worktops PowerPoints,
Full size washing machine accessed from the saloon & a tumble dryer in the storeroom in the bow.
The engine & gearbox installation cost approximately £20,000 & has only been used for 80 hours.
Isolation transformer & inverter 240v. Many 13a sockets throughout.
Batteries, engine etc. 24v. Domestic batteries 12v

Location, Thames, Between Staines & Slough, 3 miles from M25 junction 13

Screenshot (767).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I moored there for 3 years. I left in 2013. There are 3 houses on that island which is unofficially known as Kingfisher Island. I was moored at the upsteam end of the island which has no foot access so I had to use a dinghy/outboard to get on and off the island. I paid £3,500/year mooring fees to the house/landowner which included a 13amp supply of electricity, so not too bad. Wraysbury is sort of posh and chavvy at the same time. Lots of pikeys in the area.

I knew the owners of the house on the downstream end. I used to collect free wood from them after they felled a couple of trees.

I liked that mooring despite the noise of planes taking off from Heathrow.

image.png.c21811485835b131a0a701859f649c6d.png

P1000436.JPG

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I moored there for 3 years. There are 3 houses on that island which is unofficially known as Kingfisher Island.

I disagree. Kingfisher Island is further up, opposite where Crevalds boatyard used to be. That mooring is bang opposite the Bells of Ousley pub, on Straight Road, Old Windsor, and that boat has been there on view from the main road for as long as I can remember.

18 minutes ago, MtB said:

I disagree. Kingfisher Island is further up, opposite where Crevalds boatyard used to be. That mooring is bang opposite the Bells of Ousley pub, on Straight Road, Old Windsor, and that boat has been there on view from the main road for as long as I can remember.

I don't know about another kingfisher island, but that's what the people who lived on the island called it. As I said, that was an unofficial name. 

Yes it's opposite the Bells of Ouzeley but not bang opposite, it's just upstream. 

I'm not quite sure what you're disagreeing with? I'm just going from the google maps/earth photo which Alan posted in his original post. That's the island I lived on for 3 years.

Screenshot (767).png

You can see where the island is in relation to the Bells of Ouzeley, it's not bang opposite.

image.png.6c4c9a23072b6b594bcf2e92900ddbed.png

Edited by blackrose

I can't say whether this particular boat is worth the asking price. Probably not if it has not moved in years.

However well kept and well presented  boats local to me seem still to be selling fast, even in December, at asking prices that at first glance look high.  

It's  still a good time to sell a boat for those who would like to do something else . However it seems likely  the something else will also have risen in cost.

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

That barge is on the island. 

There arrr a few other Dutch boats a couple of hundred metres downstream opposite the bells of ouesely on very nice non island mooring plots but that is not one of them .

Thank you for confirming. I remember you once moored alongside me on the island and I took you to the "mainland" on my dingy.