Draining a Morco gas water heater

blackrose

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, blackrose said:

How do you drain a Morco gas water heater? My old valiant was very easy to drain but I can't figure out which is the drain screw on this one.

IMG_20211210_200733.jpg

IMG_20211210_200815.jpg

Small screw at top of white 

pipe,if I remember correctly!

1 hour ago, Ian F B said:

Small screw at top of white 

pipe,if I remember correctly!

Thanks, I thought it might be that, but i expected some sort of drain spout so you can collect the water in a cup of small container and it doesn't go everywhere. I guess I'll just put a towel down there.

21 minutes ago, springy said:

With the L port valve set to the morco position, open the hot taps - this should allow the water to drain - most will probably drain from the tap with just a dribble coming from the drain point.

springy

The only bit this technique won't drain is the only bit that breaks if it freezes ...

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

IMG_20211210_200733.jpg

The pressure disk is in the housing that looks like an an oyster or a flying saucer, dead centre underneath.  One bleed screw - use it with a bowl underneath.

I do agree that it will get backpressure from the domestic hot water system, so fit an isolator to both the flow and return.

As an aside, next time you use a holesaw in timber, do a shallow cut with the holesaw on the visible side before cutting the main hole ...

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

The only bit this technique won't drain is the only bit that breaks if it freezes ...

I should have included "Remove Drain Screw" in the sequence, though it would have to be removed for a dribble to come out of it. The amount of dribble may depend on the height difference between the taps and the drain point.

springy  

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

The pressure disk is in the housing that looks like an an oyster or a flying saucer, dead centre underneath.  One bleed screw - use it with a bowl underneath.

I do agree that it will get backpressure from the domestic hot water system, so fit an isolator to both the flow and return.

As an aside, next time you use a holesaw in timber, do a shallow cut with the holesaw on the visible side before cutting the main hole ...

Yes I did remove the bleed screw before following Spring's advice. It worked fine but there's no way you can collect any of the water in a bowl as it just dribbles down the pipe. I used a towel. Thanks for the advice.

Those redundant holes were cut for a previous heater with pipes in different positions. They're all covered by the bottom of the water heater cover anyway so not visible.

Edited by blackrose

I always switch off the pump, open all taps, hot and cold, then disconnect the cold feed. Collecting the drainage is quite easy as a container can be placed underneath by moving the pipe a little. The hot tap needs to be open to relieve the vacuum it will hold. Disconnecting the cold feed is less restrictive than the drain screw so it empties more efficiently.