Composting toilet- 10 month review

Leemc

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Cordless said:

As an old hippy type that likes to attempt growing things, I'm quite interested in the idea of having a composting loo on a boat. I can see that it would work fine when part time boating with access to a land based compost bin, and I'll probably give it a try. Which toilet system do you have? Not a basic Floozy type as you mentioned that it has a fan. Does it use much electric?

When CCing the composting part of the process would need a good bit more thought, and a bit of space, and probably require sterilising I should think?

I'd have thought a LOT of space was more likely to be needed when CCing, as genuine composting seems to take months or years from what I've read. 

Desiccating the solids on the other hand seems quicker but it certainly isn't 'composting'. 

"Composting loo" is a misnomer anyway. The loo doesn't do any composting, it just separates out the solids for YOU to compost somewhere else, using whatever process you decide on. Anything from filling carrier bags with it and putting it in the CRT bins at one end of the spectrum to storing the buckets for a couple of years then digging them into a potato patch somewhere at the other. But none of these post-separation treatment processes involves the big plastic appliance in the bathroom.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Cordless said:

As an old hippy type that likes to attempt growing things, I'm quite interested in the idea of having a composting loo on a boat. I can see that it would work fine when part time boating with access to a land based compost bin, and I'll probably give it a try. Which toilet system do you have? Not a basic Floozy type as you mentioned that it has a fan. Does it use much electric?

When CCing the composting part of the process would need a good bit more thought, and a bit of space, and probably require sterilising I should think?

I have a separate villa it has a computer fan that uses very little electric 

11 hours ago, MtB said:

I'd have thought a LOT of space was more likely to be needed when CCing, as genuine composting seems to take months or years from what I've read. 

Desiccating the solids on the other hand seems quicker but it certainly isn't 'composting'. 

"Composting loo" is a misnomer anyway. The loo doesn't do any composting, it just separates out the solids for YOU to compost somewhere else, using whatever process you decide on. Anything from filling carrier bags with it and putting it in the CRT bins at one end of the spectrum to storing the buckets for a couple of years then digging them into a potato patch somewhere at the other. But none of these post-separation treatment processes involves the big plastic appliance in the bathroom.

Fell into a wormhole looking at possible solutions for this and I reckon it could be worked if you used a wormery to speed up the process. You'd need enough space for a bucket, a designated oven tray for sterilising and the wormery, which would be less space than a pump out tank I'd guess? Of course, you'd have to be really keen to make it work or it would soon feel like too much faff! 

7 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I don't add it to my coffee, just the cassette ;)

Even so I thought I would like to try something different .

After a couple of tanks with nothing added I started using Odourlos and it seems an improvement. 

• Greenie 1