New Blinds

Porcupine

Featured Posts

Hi there - I am looking to replace my curtains with blinds. I have quite a bit of condensation and my curtains are going mouldy. Faux wood blinds would seem like the answer. Or is there another way to treat my curtains?
Does anyone know of a good blind maker / fitter who will come to Berkhamsted? I have spoken to Aquafurnishings so far who have quoted me £1500 for 10 windows 😬

Thanks very,

Matt 

I got fabric blinds form one of the internet mail order setups and then made wooden sections to hold them against the cabin side. I specified them much longer than needed so when they got dirty I could just cut the end of and machine a new hem for the lower batten. The fabric blinds seem to be treated with a plasticy treatment and did not seem to absorb condensation, in any case the were clear of the window and frame.

I don't see what is difficult about putting in two screws to hold each top bracket -  4 screws per blind. An easy DIY job although making the L shaped side sections is a little more complex but still easy enough if you use two pieces of timber and pin and glue together.

Edited by Tony Brooks

29 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I got fabric blinds form one of the internet mail order setups and then made wooden sections to hold them against the cabin side. I specified them much longer than needed so when they got dirty I could just cut the end of and machine a new hem for the lower batten. The fabric blinds seem to be treated with a plasticy treatment and did not seem to absorb condensation, in any case the were clear of the window and frame.

I don't see what is difficult about putting in two screws to hold each top bracket -  4 screws per blind. An easy DIY job although making the L shaped side sections is a little more complex but still easy enough if you use two pieces of timber and pin and glue together.

I did as Tony suggests, although the blinds were from a local blind maker. 

IMG_3514a (Small).jpg

I swapped blinds for curtains as lined curtains were much warmer in winter. Back when the boats had blinds, I used a bit of stick on velcro on the bottom of the blind and a corresponding piece at the bottom of the window opening to solve the cabin slope problem. If I were doing it again, a small Neodymium magnet inside the bottom of the blind and a steel screw head at the bottom of the window opening would be another solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to fit blinds and wouldn't advise faux wood. You can get nice venetians made to measure on the Internweb for not a lot of money. When they get grubby hang em on a fence and wash with fairy and a soft brush, hose off = happy bunny.