Jump to content

Crew needed 22nd Oct


Rick Savery
 Share

Featured Posts

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this.

I have to move the boat 4 miles to Braunston on Friday 22nd October from Welton Hythe marina.

Now this is the first time I have driven it, and the first time it will have been driven for 18 months - long story.

I have been on many hire holidays in the past and am quite happy steering etc, and have recently done the 2-day helmsman's course, but this will be my first time driving this boat and my fisrt time single handing.

Long story short, if there is anyone out there willing, experienced and able to accompany me on this short journey (1 tunnel and ~ 6 locks) I would be most grateful.

I am happy to pay £50 plus lunch when we get to Braunston.

As for the return, we can either walk back or I can walk back and get the car, then go back to Braunston to pick whomever up.

Thanks

Edited by Rick Savery
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rick, so basically you want someone for moral support, which is fair enough.

You say that you're in a marina. Have you asked around your fellow-moorers, or asked marina staff. Between them rhey'll either know someone who can do it, or be able to do it themselves.

   Even in the countryside, taxis can often be found - to spare you the four-mile walk.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Athy said:

 

   Even in the countryside, taxis can often be found - to spare you the four-mile walk.

 

You could try Neil's car on 07884587476.  He has driven me from Calcutt to Buckby in the past

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you don’t get someone to help, I would suggest going early in the morning when you have less chance of meeting boats in Braunston tunnel.  There are kinks about a quarter in for you, you should avoid meeting anyone at the kinks as it will be impossible to avoid hitting.  Just slow right down as you approach a boat in the tunnel, but don’t go out of gear or you will loose steering, and hug the right hand wall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/10/2021 at 14:03, Athy said:

Rick, so basically you want someone for moral support, which is fair enough.

You say that you're in a marina. Have you asked around your fellow-moorers, or asked marina staff. Between them rhey'll either know someone who can do it, or be able to do it themselves.

   Even in the countryside, taxis can often be found - to spare you the four-mile walk.

 

Essentially, yes. I find I am unreasonably nervous about this first trip. Someone at the marina has been in touch so should be OK.

I don't mind the walk to be honest, but others have suggested taxis too

On 14/10/2021 at 16:13, philjw said:

You could try Neil's car on 07884587476.  He has driven me from Calcutt to Buckby in the past

Thanks for the info, much appreciated

On 14/10/2021 at 17:05, David Mack said:

If your companion comes by car you can do the car shuffle - put one car at the other end first.

That is a good option, thanks David

On 14/10/2021 at 17:19, john6767 said:

If you don’t get someone to help, I would suggest going early in the morning when you have less chance of meeting boats in Braunston tunnel.  There are kinks about a quarter in for you, you should avoid meeting anyone at the kinks as it will be impossible to avoid hitting.  Just slow right down as you approach a boat in the tunnel, but don’t go out of gear or you will loose steering, and hug the right hand wall.

Thanks john6767, good to know.

I have had a few people pointing out the kinks in Braunston tunnel, which I grateful for, as on the Ordnance Survey map, the tunnel show straight as an arrow!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rick Savery said:

Essentially, yes. I find I am unreasonably nervous about this first trip. Someone at the marina has been in touch so should be OK.

I don't mind the walk to be honest, but others have suggested taxis too

Thanks for the info, much appreciated

That is a good option, thanks David

Thanks john6767, good to know.

I have had a few people pointing out the kinks in Braunston tunnel, which I grateful for, as on the Ordnance Survey map, the tunnel show straight as an arrow!

Unless you are 70 ft and meet another 70 ft towing a butty ( which is unlikely) at the kink no problem as it’s a nice wide tunnel and you may even not realised you’ve past it.

 

 

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/10/2021 at 19:02, Keeping Up said:

I'd be very happy to help you. Highly experienced (over 50 years) and willing to drive up and do a car shuffle first. I'll send you a PM.

Great offer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.