Smartgauge error code

blackrose

Featured Posts

I was just crawling around in the engine bay looking at which existing cables I need to isolate to install my Webasto (old Eberspacher cables), and when I came back in the Smartgauge was showing an error code: E 01 (Error 01 – power has been lost and reapplied).

I obviously disturbed something and the thought that I have a loose connection somewhere is disturbing me. I'm thinking it's most likely to be the fuse holder? 

Do I need to recalibrate the SG now by taking the batteries down to below 74% and back to 100% capacity three times? It's reading 75% now and it was at 100% before the error.

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Ok thanks. But I thought I read somewhere that to calibrate SOC the meter had to be cycled between <74% - 100% three times. Is that not the case?

When the power was interrupted, the battery model data stored in the SG was not lost. So you don't need to "calibrate" it to your batteries again, it already knows them. After powerup it does go to 75% and it will eventually settle on the right SoC indication. If you want to speed it up and know what the SoC should be (you said it was 100%) then you can set it to that instantly by going into setup mode and pressing the Set button until it says "Cxxx" (where xxx is presumably 75% or so) and then pressing Select until it gets up to 100%, then press Volts key to store that value.

18 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Even the smartest things can make a mistake occasionally, I mean, look at the smartest people in our country...the Cabinet...

Put a smartgauge in charge of the country and the cabinet in charge of @blackrose's boat. See it sunk, sold to one of their dodgy chums, or on fire within hours. Possibly all three.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Ok thanks. I'm on shore power with the battery charger on float so I'll just let the SG do its own thing.

Whenever I've turned mine off it has found its way back over a day or so. Having said that, (please), don't place too much store on the %age SOC displayed by your Smartgauge. It may, or may not, be accurate, particularly at higher SOC's. I wont be able to find it but, I read some years ago, (and it could only be here), that even Gibbo stated that the thing isn't necessarily accurate over 80%, and asked why on earth anyone would want to know their SOC if it was over 80%, (or words to that effect).

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I read some years ago, (and it could only be here), that even Gibbo stated that the thing isn't necessarily accurate over 80%, and asked why on earth anyone would want to know their SOC if it was over 80%, (or words to that effect).

To know when to stop charging perhaps? 😬

I usually use the ammeter on my other shunt based monitor for that anyway...

The SG doesn't seem accurate in terms of SOC while the batteries are being charged, but discharge SOC does seem accurate compared to what the voltage is reading.

6 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Yes.... its handy to know when to start charging, (50% SOC or so?).

Stopping charging as soon as the Smartgage shows 100% is a recipe for killing your batteries :(

How do I know?

by noticing that little paragraph saying so in the manual, in tiny print on Page 28? 

• Love 1