A Mystery!!!

Ian_L

Featured Posts

We too did The Soar a couple of years and found the coconuts as Fuzzy state's upstream? Anyway I hadn't a clue what they were at the time and my wife who adore's coconut kept saying "If only we had a net!" LOL. Now my boat is raw water cooled and I couldn't understand what the grey sludge was in my filter and was convinced that some part of the water pump was disintergrating!

Wasn't till we got home and happened to speak with Fuzzy that I found out someones granny had been through my engine.

Edited by MarkAdrian

The Coventry Canal Society do a monthly clearance along the five and a half miles of the canal from Hawkesbury to the City basin. (We obviously do sections, can't do the whole thing in one day). Coconuts have formed a regular part of our haul for many years, as well as the usual stuff that the good citizens of Coventry deem suitable for throwing into the water.

BTW, when said citizens meet us on the towpath, doing the clearance, they often assume we are doing it as some form of punishment, Community Service etc. They are very surprised when we tell them we are doing it voluntarily!

Footnote: As Tesco is determined not to look after their trolleys, (Their induction loop is actually in the water in places) be careful as you navigate bridge 8.

Tony

Footnote: As Tesco is determined not to look after their trolleys

Each cost £1200 or so (that's what it said on a telly prog a while ago) so how many thousands of pounds have you retrieved today.

Wonder if we can get a reward for everyone returned........10% fair isn't it.

BTW, when said citizens meet us on the towpath, doing the clearance, they often assume we are doing it as some form of punishment, Community Service etc. They are very surprised when we tell them we are doing it voluntarily!
I'm not suprised. photo-441.jpg:cheers::lol::cheers: :cheers: :wub: I hope you return those trolleys back to their rightful owners, I'm sure they'd be delighted to clean and recycle them.

I've just thought, do you think I can get Yvette Fielding, and that god awful medium geezer to camp out under the cowling on my engine just in case?

Edited by fuzzyduck

We've just left Hawkesworth and only seen one coconut - on the North Oxford. It was a big one, possibly as big as yer 'ead.

Big ones, small ones, some as big as yer 'ead...

Why have I got an irritating tune running through my head?

Richard

I understand this is part of the Hindu faith
That's correct. GUPA boaters will notice too many flower garlands in the water as well as the coconuts. The western stretch of this canal from Bulls Bridge flows through areas with substantial Hindu populations, such as Southall and Alperton.

Each cost £1200 or so (that's what it said on a telly prog a while ago) so how many thousands of pounds have you retrieved today.Wonder if we can get a reward for everyone returned........10% fair isn't it.
This is massively wrong Malcolm. The cost of a trolley is about £50.

I wonder if it's Mr Singh who keeps blocking the telltail on my Honda?
Singh is a Sikh name, not Hindu.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

All this talk about coconuts on the Soar and I have never ever seen one. Mind you, I have only been at Raynsway since March so there is still time before we go away on the loooong cruise. Departure from the house set at 8th February and then back sometime in November. Plenty of time for coconut spotting!

Nick

Your still a bit out. A standard large trolley is about £210 each depending on the number ordered. I used to collect them and then exchange them for gift vouchers.
That is inaccurate. In the quantities which Tesco and Sainsbury etc. buy them, they don't pay anywhere near £210. Edited by anhar

This is massively wrong Malcolm. The cost of a trolley is about £50.

regards

Steve

So why did it say on tv that they cost £1200, or some such ridiculous figure. And it definately did, because I was not at home when I saw the program, several years ago now, as I remember discussing it with others.

Mind you.....I should know the answer to that. Comes of being too truthful a person, it makes you a bit guillible.....still better than being a liar, hence wrong I suppose.

But is this figure 'post China' manufacturing. That would make up the difference.

So why did it say on tv that they cost £1200, or some such ridiculous figure. And it definately did, because I was not at home when I saw the program, several years ago now, as I remember discussing it with others.

Mind you.....I should know the answer to that. Comes of being too truthful a person, it makes you a bit guillible.....still better than being a liar, hence wrong I suppose.

But is this figure 'post China' manufacturing. That would make up the difference.

I can't know why you heard that figure quoted Malcolm but it is a ludicrous over estimate. I don't know where they are made, it doesn't matter, they cost around the figure I quoted with variations according to the model. Big supermarkets generally have several different types and presumably larger and/or more complex types will be dearer. But £1,200 is wrong by a huge magnitude.

There's some easy brownie points for the governement, Whack a massive tax on the price of new trolleys and the supermarkets will take better care of them. Since they are (quite rightly) willing to call the police for someone pinching a £10 bottle of booze, it's odd that even a £50 trolley can "Walk" so easily.

I can't know why you heard that figure quoted Malcolm but it is a ludicrous over estimate.

I quite agree with you Steve, and that is exactly why I remember it so well. Someone said at the time they must be gold plated. But that is definately what the program said they cost.

There's some easy brownie points for the governement, Whack a massive tax on the price of new trolleys and the supermarkets will take better care of them. Since they are (quite rightly) willing to call the police for someone pinching a £10 bottle of booze, it's odd that even a £50 trolley can "Walk" so easily.
It is not the supermarkets' fault snibble if people take the trolleys and dump then in canals or whatever. It is totally and unreservedly the fault of the public and therefore it is the public who should pay. That means you and me. The shops may be an easy target but they are the wrong target.

They are the victims of the crime, not the perps.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Your still a bit out. A standard large trolley is about £210 each depending on the number ordered. I used to collect them and then exchange them for gift vouchers.

So we can offset the costs of boating by fishing trolleys out of the cut? Do you have to have a fishing license? Is there a standard contract? Does the individual branch of the supermarket deal with you direct or must you post them to head office?

N

So we can offset the costs of boating by fishing trolleys out of the cut? Do you have to have a fishing license? Is there a standard contract? Does the individual branch of the supermarket deal with you direct or must you post them to head office?

N

The local big supermarket was losing quite a few each week near to my house. Not that I was taking them!! So I spoke to the manager about the problem and so to save him paying £20 a time to be returned by the council, I returned them a few at a time in exchange for food vouchers. Worked out well until a new manager took over and stopped it. He then had to pay out for each but he also lost alot more.

You should ask the manager of the supermarket, if he says no, chuck some in!!!

The record for the furthest trolley is Australia.