Elsans

Maffi

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I'll set 'em up, you tell 'em.

3 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I wonder how @Athy will feel if a town near to his home becomes synonymous with a boaters bog... "Emptying the Thetford..." 

Closer to home than you suspect, as we do have a couple of properties in Thetford. Odder still, for years we lived within half a mile of the Elsan factory in Uckfield.

From what I gather, Thetford (the brand) has nothing to do with Thetford (the town). In think the brand is American.

5 minutes ago, Tacet said:

For the pedantic. this type of toilet and its successors, such as the Elsan Bristol are not really fairly described as bucket-and-chuckit. 

That's why I added "glorified!. But their appearance is, let's say, basic and simple compared with, for example, Thetford loos.

6 minutes ago, Tacet said:

I am not sure that Elsan ever dominated the equipment side of the market.  From what I remember. Racasan seemed to be the major player in the galvanised container-within-a-container toilet 

I seem to recall that when I was a child we always used Racasan brand fluid in the basic toilet on my parents grp cruiser.

Back in the 60's when camping / Scouting we had Elsans in little individual Toilet-Tents. The actual Elsan was a galvanised steel (small) barrel type structure with a fitted lifting seat, inside that was a bucket, when full, the bucket was removed and emptied  into a pre-dug 'latrine hole' on the edge of the camping area.

Image found on Google :

LARGE OLD VINTAGE Industrial Elsan Tin With Galvanised Bucket Liner Fab  Planter - £35.00 | PicClick UK

Large Old Vintage Industrial Elsan Tin With Galvanised Bucket Liner 

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'll set 'em up, you tell 'em.

Closer to home than you suspect, as we do have a couple of properties in Thetford. Odder still, for years we lived within half a mile of the Elsan factory in Uckfield.

From what I gather, Thetford (the brand) has nothing to do with Thetford (the town). In think the brand is American.

It is certainly headquartered in the US. 

I must admit I'd always rather lazily assumed an association with the town in the UK but had not really looked into it. (That is looked into their location not one of their products).

10 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It is certainly headquartered in the US. 

I must admit I'd always rather lazily assumed an association with the town in the UK but had not really looked into it. (That is looked into their location not one of their products).

Same here. I "looked into it" a year or two ago. It was founded in Michigan in the 1960s. There is a town of Thetford in Michigan, not sure if that's where the company was founded.

Edited by Athy

Pump out and elsan facilities are available across our network that boats with tanks or cassette toilets can use instead. If you currently have a separator/compost

image.png.7db5db32dbbf7e64f85ef4aa6e54607e.png
Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

OK so maybe if one of the Moderators could open the post I could edit it to read "Plastic toilet unit".

'Toilet cassettes' would actually be more accurate. In fact you referred to them by their correct name in the body of your first post......;-)

On 23/04/2021 at 21:23, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

What is is about some people who replace their cassettes, that they can't be bothered to take the old one to a disposal point rather than just dump it on the towpath/hedge?

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

'Toilet cassettes' would actually be more accurate. In fact you referred to them by their correct name in the body of your first post......;-)

I thought it was the whole thing maffi found, not just a cassette 

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

????

No idea, I'm just going on the wording he used. Anyway I'm done as it risks detracting from the fact he's doing a good job shifting somebodies crap (literally it would seem)

Edited by The Happy Nomad

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Back in the 60's when camping / Scouting we had Elsans in little individual Toilet-Tents. The actual Elsan was a galvanised steel (small) barrel type structure with a fitted lifting seat, inside that was a bucket, when full, the bucket was removed and emptied  into a pre-dug 'latrine hole' on the edge of the camping area.

Image found on Google :

LARGE OLD VINTAGE Industrial Elsan Tin With Galvanised Bucket Liner Fab  Planter - £35.00 | PicClick UK

Large Old Vintage Industrial Elsan Tin With Galvanised Bucket Liner 

Wow, you guys were posh - when I was in the Cubs and Scouts and we went camping, the first job was to dig the latrine trench and erect a canvas screen around it. You then stood astride the trench when doing what you had to. The trick was not to fall in, especially if you had to go at night, though a common trick was to nudge some poor lad and make him fall in.

I imagine that was why we didn't stay on the same field for too long.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

8 out of the nine were complete. The two found recently were also complete.

The one I found in Banbury not far from the disposal point was the one that was a box only.

There was one other under the bridge at Barby but it was not safe to move so I called CRT and left it to them.

Edited by Lord Maffi of Oxford

1 hour ago, manxmike said:

Wow, you guys were posh - when I was in the Cubs and Scouts and we went camping, the first job was to dig the latrine trench and erect a canvas screen around it. You then stood astride the trench when doing what you had to. The trick was not to fall in, especially if you had to go at night, though a common trick was to nudge some poor lad and make him fall in.

I imagine that was why we didn't stay on the same field for too long.

when I was 14 I was working at the local camping caravan site, toilets. showers, heated pool, small shop and we had a group of scouts come who wanted to dig latrines in the camping field. We had to point out to them we had flush toilets for campers to use and that other member of the public were using the field, imagine the consequences if Public Health were informed.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

when I was 14 I was working at the local camping caravan site, toilets. showers, heated pool, small shop and we had a group of scouts come who wanted to dig latrines in the camping field. We had to point out to them we had flush toilets for campers to use and that other member of the public were using the field, imagine the consequences if Public Health were informed.

My kid brother has just confessed about the time when he was 16 working on a campsite. The campers that were rude or grumpy would have bits of bread thrown on top of their caravans for the seagulls to clatter about, waking the 'unhappy campers' at 5 in the morning.

There must be some rich boaters about, has anyone priced a cassette lately? There're over £100! 

22 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

My kid brother has just confessed about the time when he was 16 working on a campsite. The campers that were rude or grumpy would have bits of bread thrown on top of their caravans for the seagulls to clatter about, waking the 'unhappy campers' at 5 in the morning.

There must be some rich boaters about, has anyone priced a cassette lately? There're over £100! 

It works on boats as well

I lived in a caravan for a bit and we had pheasants on the roof with no bread involved