Jump to content

Any interest for a couple of JP3’s?


Featured Posts

Hi there, i just came across two pretty nice JP3’s in their original work clothes. One marinised and one industrial, both great survivors. The marinised one seems like it has very few hours on it, really pretty and complete, and the industrial version has 8500 hours on the clock and has had a worklife as a lightplant on a fishing vessel.

 

The marinised unit seems almost unused, whereas the other obviously has done some work, but still a nice and complete unit.

 

What would be the value of something like this, just a rough estimate, if anyone might have an idea?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, norseman said:

Hi there, i just came across two pretty nice JP3’s in their original work clothes. One marinised and one industrial, both great survivors. The marinised one seems like it has very few hours on it, really pretty and complete, and the industrial version has 8500 hours on the clock and has had a worklife as a lightplant on a fishing vessel.

 

The marinised unit seems almost unused, whereas the other obviously has done some work, but still a nice and complete unit.

 

What would be the value of something like this, just a rough estimate, if anyone might have an idea?

 

 

Some pictures will increase interest in the engines, and would be essential to provide a worthwhile estimate of value. 

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, norseman said:

Hi there, i just came across two pretty nice JP3’s in their original work clothes. One marinised and one industrial, both great survivors. The marinised one seems like it has very few hours on it, really pretty and complete, and the industrial version has 8500 hours on the clock and has had a worklife as a lightplant on a fishing vessel.

 

The marinised unit seems almost unused, whereas the other obviously has done some work, but still a nice and complete unit.

 

What would be the value of something like this, just a rough estimate, if anyone might have an idea?

 

 

Whilst low hours might seem a good thing a lot depends on the condition of the engine...Salt water JPs can have terrible internal corrosion which quickly gets expensive to sort...been there dealt with that!...as said pictures of the engines would help together with any videos etc of them running showing oil pressure/smoke/etc. 

 

For narrowboat use 3's are not as desirable as twins but there is still a market although not as much as there once was Im told....apparently a white fitout and a big telly are now what's wanted rather than a proper engine!

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They sound like interesting engines, but as others have said, not as popular as they once were. We sold a good running JP3m with blackstone gearbox last year and I didn't get as much as I'd hoped. Around £2.5k for a good marine one, and £1 to £1.5k for the industrial one. You could well get more, but details and photos will help.

 

We sold via ebay in the end. These engines get lots of interest, but few genuine buyers.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the industrial was a marine auxiliary unit, the value of the water cooled manifold and silencer will add considerably to the value, although probably only when sold separately. 

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flatplane8 said:

They sound like interesting engines, but as others have said, not as popular as they once were. We sold a good running JP3m with blackstone gearbox last year and I didn't get as much as I'd hoped. Around £2.5k for a good marine one, and £1 to £1.5k for the industrial one. You could well get more, but details and photos will help.

 

We sold via ebay in the end. These engines get lots of interest, but few genuine buyers.

On the other hand I know of a marine JP2, running, but in unknown condition, which sold very quickly a few months ago for £8.5-9k, with several interested prospective buyers.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all.

 

My knowledge of these are very limited, and the one I called marinised might actually be a marine auxiliary unit, as mentioned by BWM above here. The white one with 8500 hours on it hasn't been running for 60 years according to the seller, but it turns. It might also have done a full round on the hourmeter - or two - but I don't think it looks worked to death. The other one with the wet exhaust is history unknown, but the appearance of it might suggest a very good object. The current owner has not had it running, and wants to sell it due to storage problems.

 

I like new acquantainces in the mechanical department, even though I have too many projects as it is. If I buy one or both I might try to get them running and sell them, keep them, restore them, or trade them for something else. 

 

I'm lacking a nice AS3 in my collection, I have a couple of AS1's and a few AS2's, of which a couple recently got the full treatment and turned out pretty nice. So if anyone has a nice AS3 lying around and wants one of these we might work out a deal. uggestions welcome.

JP3 marinised1.jpg

JP3 marinised2.jpg

JP3 industry1.jpg

JP3 industry2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, norseman said:

Thank you all.

 

My knowledge of these are very limited, and the one I called marinised might actually be a marine auxiliary unit, as mentioned by BWM above here. The white one with 8500 hours on it hasn't been running for 60 years according to the seller, but it turns. It might also have done a full round on the hourmeter - or two - but I don't think it looks worked to death. The other one with the wet exhaust is history unknown, but the appearance of it might suggest a very good object. The current owner has not had it running, and wants to sell it due to storage problems.

 

I like new acquantainces in the mechanical department, even though I have too many projects as it is. If I buy one or both I might try to get them running and sell them, keep them, restore them, or trade them for something else. 

 

I'm lacking a nice AS3 in my collection, I have a couple of AS1's and a few AS2's, of which a couple recently got the full treatment and turned out pretty nice. So if anyone has a nice AS3 lying around and wants one of these we might work out a deal. uggestions welcome.

JP3 marinised1.jpg

JP3 marinised2.jpg

JP3 industry1.jpg

JP3 industry2.jpg

The first is either a marine auxiliary or an industrial with the manifold, ect., replaced and the second is a straightforward industrial unit with hand starting only from the end of the crank, ouch! The hours could be low because many were back up generators with only test hours on the clock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BWM said:

The first is either a marine auxiliary or an industrial with the manifold, ect., replaced and the second is a straightforward industrial unit with hand starting only from the end of the crank, ouch! The hours could be low because many were back up generators with only test hours on the clock.

I agree with that. If the OP can find the serial number plates that could say what variant they are. They have the larger diameter flywheels. 
 

The one without the marine silencer has side decompressors which suggests it was originally a non marine unit. Marine units tend to have top decompressors & raised hand start although I’ve never seen two identical JP’s! Theve all evolved over the years or been built to a different spec. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, frangar said:

I agree with that. If the OP can find the serial number plates that could say what variant they are. They have the larger diameter flywheels. 
 

The one without the marine silencer has side decompressors which suggests it was originally a non marine unit. Marine units tend to have top decompressors & raised hand start although I’ve never seen two identical JP’s! Theve all evolved over the years or been built to a different spec. 

The second looks a lot like the GPO standby generators i've seen but they haven't been hand start. As you say, no two seem to be the same and the first has what appears to be a breather running above the manifold into the intake. It could be a sensible mod for a marine auxiliary in a closed engine room with multiple units?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again guys. 

 

I am already sort of committed to buy the blue one. It showed up last fall, but the seller spends his winters abroad and won't be back until april. So we made a deal for me to come and pick it up then, circumstances permitting. For around 450 pounds. I can't produce a serial number for that one as the seller is absent. But I got a picture of the ID plate on the other unit, which is currently listed for sale to the highest bidder. 

 

I agreed to buy the blue one simply because I have a hard time letting nice survivors pass me by, but in retrospect I really have too many projects as it is. If I start to tinker with it I'll probably fall in love with it and tuck it away to restore it at a future occasion, but that hoarding impulse has already filled a barn with old iron... So the smart thing to do would be to pass it on to someone who needs or wants it more than me.

 

And I want a nice AS3 more than this one at the moment. 

 

Anyway, here's a picture of the ID plate from the other unit, which I suspect can be bought for around the same price as the blue engine. 4-5-600 pounds. And if anyone's interested, I might acquire that one too, for a trade or a resale. 

 

Shipping heavy lumps of iron to the UK from Norway is of course expensive, and I'm not trying to get rich from this. My main interest is to see if it's possible to create a win-win situation where the engines finds a good home. And where the involved parties finds a desired object. And as I have no idea of the value and/or scarcity of these, I had to come here for some advice and enlightenment.

 

Thanks again.

JP3 industry3.jpg

  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2021 at 15:10, BWM said:

You've had a result at that price as you would pay that for a decent injector pump on its own! 

I will probably go to collect it come april, a 1000 km roundtrip to the west coast, where incidentally the other white one is located too. It has spent the winter outdoors under a tarp, so it atleast needs to be placed in a better storage. If you want it I’ll trade it for a nice AS3 in similar condition. A complete, undamaged, and preferably unbored unit. It doesn’t have to be a runner, as long as it’s a good solid object that’s not stuck.

 

If anyones interested in it let me know.

 

And what would be the approximate value/price of an AS3 as described above, a good object up for restoration? And what about a nice solid runner in its workclothes? Anyone have an idea?

On 07/02/2021 at 12:30, rustynewbery said:

If Steve Hudson was still alive, they would probably end up in his boats.

A shame he’s not with us anymore then, he could’ve had 2 more right here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/02/2021 at 19:55, norseman said:

Thank you all.

 

My knowledge of these are very limited, and the one I called marinised might actually be a marine auxiliary unit, as mentioned by BWM above here. The white one with 8500 hours on it hasn't been running for 60 years according to the seller, but it turns. It might also have done a full round on the hourmeter - or two - but I don't think it looks worked to death. The other one with the wet exhaust is history unknown, but the appearance of it might suggest a very good object. The current owner has not had it running, and wants to sell it due to storage problems.

 

I like new acquantainces in the mechanical department, even though I have too many projects as it is. If I buy one or both I might try to get them running and sell them, keep them, restore them, or trade them for something else. 

 

I'm lacking a nice AS3 in my collection, I have a couple of AS1's and a few AS2's, of which a couple recently got the full treatment and turned out pretty nice. So if anyone has a nice AS3 lying around and wants one of these we might work out a deal. uggestions welcome.

JP3 marinised1.jpg

JP3 marinised2.jpg

JP3 industry1.jpg

JP3 industry2.jpg

I have 3 AS3s currently, one full marine and two industrials, depending on your preference!

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

I have 3 AS3s currently, one full marine and two industrials, depending on your preference!

Thank you. I've been looking for one for the better part of 5 years. And in that period I've managed to hoard 2 AS1's and no less than 8 AS2's. In my defense, one is a parts donor, two came for cheap in norwegian built DoD generator trailers from an estate, and two had the industrial clutch I needed for a project. The first two I bought were both stuck in rust and needed a rebore, and after being put on the backburner for a couple of years due to some domestic issues and maintenance, they're just about to be completed in these days.

 

One in a custom built compressor set with a US built Devilbiss 445, and one was a baler engine that I've just prettied up. The compressor is about to be broken in it just needs the final plumbing for the air finished, and the baler engine will be started for the first time this weekend I guess, after a spill-timing and tidying up of the last few issues.

 

A couple of pictures below, I planned to make a thread on them once they were finished but here's a sneak peek.

DSC_0237.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

And I'm not looking for a marine unit, I just want a nice object that's hopefully a bit cheaper to restore than these here, that needed a rebore. I can leave the marine units to you canal boat afficionados, they belong better there. I just want to complete my collection, and have all 3 them  in a nice state for the engine shows. The compressor set below is intended for use, I'm gonna hook it up i parallell to my electrical workshop compressor so I can do some heavy duty sandblasting outdoors when I need it.

 

Here's the compressor unit, it was a shitload of work, and a shitload of cash, hahaha!

DSC_0234.JPG

  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

“Norseman”, location Norway......

 He has mentioned 'fall', 'west coast' and something about a U.S. made baler, so i thought i'd best ask the question as by the time 2 or 3 engines have circumnavigated the globe it would be an expensive transaction!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BWM said:

 He has mentioned 'fall', 'west coast' and something about a U.S. made baler, so i thought i'd best ask the question as by the time 2 or 3 engines have circumnavigated the globe it would be an expensive transaction!

Haha no I'm in Norway about 150km's east of Oslo almost at the swedish border. Those JP3's are both located close to Bergen on the west coast, so it's the better part of a workday in the car to get there. Around 500km's I think. But you're onto something, I have no idea what it'll cost to ship one of them to England, or an AS3 back here for that matter if I get lucky enough to find one. Both the shipping cost and the cost of an AS3 might be prohibitive, but I can atleast have the Lister engine for around 450 pounds plus the fuel. And if it turns out to be as nice as it looks, it might work out anyway if someone wants it back to Britain. Atleast that was my initial hope. I'll have a chat with Mr. stagedamager above here and see what's on his mind.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironically I shipped an AS1, 5 AS2s and an AS3 as well as spares from just South of Oslo not 18 months ago...... off the top of my head 7 pallets Inc. Import duty was about a grand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stagedamager said:

Ironically I shipped an AS1, 5 AS2s and an AS3 as well as spares from just South of Oslo not 18 months ago...... off the top of my head 7 pallets Inc. Import duty was about a grand.

 

But would it still be the same now? Previously you could have taken advantage of the EU-Norway trade arrangements, but does anyone know what the situation is post B%^&*!?

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.