WiFi Calling

pearley

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, dmr said:

Can I hijack this thread with a closely related question please?

Phone is an iPhone on EE, EE signal is poor here.

MiFi is Three, signal is reasonably good (but does get a little slow at busy times).

Just about all my calls are done on WiFi calling which works well, but only as long as there is no EE.

If there is any EE signal then the phone defaults to that even though it might be hopelessly inadequate.

I can find no way to turn EE off or give priority to WiFi.  Found nothing on the www.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

.......Dave

You turn mobile signal off.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

You turn mobile signal off.

You can turn mobile data off but this only stops the www side of things, it does not stop the phone bit from working.

As Nick says, selecting airplane mode appears to work. I half remember trying this months ago and it had problems, but I tried it just now and I think it works. Will investigate more. However are changing from EE toO2 so might soon have a better signal.

................Dave

19 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Put it into airplane mode and then turn Wi-fi back on again.

Thanks for that Nick. Despite EE saying my phone doesn't support WiFi Calling I've done this and it now works fine.

All I need to do now is sort Jeannettes Sony Xperia where the option has simply disappeared from the menu.

Edited by pearley

On 02/01/2021 at 23:00, pearley said:

Use the boat WiFi all the time via the phone.

I can make and receive calls via WhatsApp but doesn't work to landlines and relies on the other party having WhatsApp on their phone. OK witgh my son but not for aged relatives.

I can highly recommend an App called WePhone which I have been using for the past 6 years without any problem.

Basically it uses any wifi or 4G signal data to make regular type calls via internet calling protocols.

You can call any number from anywhere in the world, landlines, mobiles etc and it can show the caller ID as any number you wish - I have it set to show my regular UK mobile number.

I can even use it to call my bank and they recognise the number as me calling from within UK yet I could be anywhere.

Best of all is the charges - So cheap as to be unbelievable.

I have regularly called my mother in UK on her mobile whilst I was in Philippines and an 8 minute call cost less than 50p.

It has a full call history and lists of charges with basic and premium line access.

I will use my UK sim card calling minutes in UK as normal but for times when i am outside of coverage or out of country I use WePhone through any available wifi. It is also good for calling premium numbers whre inclusive minutes do not apply.

Another bonus is that the same account can be used on any device - it just needs an authorisation code. You can even share your account with others to use for calling.

Edited by MarkH2159
duplication

9 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Nasty american product!   My Android calls it aeroplane mode!

My last 3 androids along with several flights I have been on recently all refer to it as "Flight Mode" which is of course correct and not at all American.

Just now, MarkH2159 said:

My last 3 androids along with several flights I have been on recently all refer to it as "Flight Mode" which is of course correct and not at all American.

All if which goes to prove airplane mode isn't the only name for the mode.

1 hour ago, MarkH2159 said:

I thought that was for use when traversing Hatton  Caen Hill et all? ?

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I thought that was for use when traversing Hatton  Caen Hill et all? ?

You jest, but battery life is drastically reduced if you leave your phone in a metal container like a boat that limits signal, and more so when you put it in a lock or tunnel that cuts signal altogether. This is because a phone when disconnected will go to maximum transmit power to try to find a signal, and will repeat this every time it disconnects and every few seconds after.

If unattended in the boat, my phone will be on flight mode - who would hear it ring anyway? The battery lasts several days of that.

My suspicion is that if routinely carried while working the locks or left on deck it would in short order fall to the bottom of the canal, from where taking a call is difficult.  

• Greenie 2