Alde Boiler

Featured Posts

Hello. I have read a thread on Faceache where someone has been advised to look for an alternative boiler for their 2928? Slimline.

We have the same boiler and over the years we have ‘maintained’ the boiler to working order. Its just a matter of time before it gives in permanently.

Now a question. What is a good, reliable, cost effective alternative boiler? And perhaps a recommendation for a reliable fitter in the Banbury area.

22 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Hello. I have read a thread on Faceache where someone has been advised to look for an alternative boiler for their 2928? Slimline.

We have the same boiler and over the years we have ‘maintained’ the boiler to working order. Its just a matter of time before it gives in permanently.

Now a question. What is a good, reliable, cost effective alternative boiler? And perhaps a recommendation for a reliable fitter in the Banbury area.

Is there a LPG alternative ?

I'd say that an Eberspacher is the best alternative (and much cheaper to run)

29 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

The Alde 3020 if u still want a gas guzzler ?

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Doesn’t the Eberspacher only run for short periods. And does it heat the calorifier?

They are better if ran full blast and many many hire boats have them on for hours a day and yes can do hot water if plumbed that way. 

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They are better if ran full blast and many many hire boats have them on for hours a day and yes can do hot water if plumbed that way. 

I’ll look into them. If they heat the calorifier does that mean heat to rads?

Are these the ones that you need a silencer for, otherwise they sound like a ventilation system on an industrial unit?

Edited by Nightwatch

9 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I’ll look into them.

Are these the ones that you need a silencer for, otherwise they sound like a ventilation system on an industrial unit?

Eberspacher yes u do but not expensive. But you will have added expense of fuel feed etc which yo already have if you stay with gas. You will need somewhere to mount them whichever you go for. 

I prefer webadt to eber though. 

31 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Doesn’t the Eberspacher only run for short periods. And does it heat the calorifier?

My eber has always been on 'full time' thermostatically controlled.

There appears to be some' anti-eber false-news' on the internet suggesting that you have to turn it off every 20 minutes - its a good job that they don't do that on the vehicles they were originally designed for (long distance coaches, trucks etc)

32 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

But a lot less than the old 2928.

Mine has been in for 13 years now.  I reckon it uses about 60% of the gas my previous Alde Comfort used.

Maintenance free,  no voltage issues,  starts when I want it.

Admittedly I use a SF stove for the main heating, but is used when not worth lighting the stove and for an hour or two in the morning.

• Greenie 1

Just now, dor said:

Mine has been in for 13 years now.  I reckon it uses about 60% of the gas my previous Alde Comfort used.

Admittedly I use a SF stove for the main heating, but is used when not worth lighting the stove and for an hour or two in the morning.

I reckon that's his best bet as the gas supply is all there. 

27 minutes ago, dor said:

Can you use a 3020 in an existing system with copper components (e.g. calorifier)? Someone told me this might be an issue.

21 minutes ago, alias said:

Can you use a 3020 in an existing system with copper components (e.g. calorifier)? Someone told me this might be an issue.

Unless they have changed their mind Alde said no to copper components because of the aluminium heat exchanger. However I think many domestic gas boilers may have aluminium heat exchangers and they seem to be OK on existing pipe work. We really need a comment from Mike the boiler man or another qualified tradesman.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Unless they have changed their mind Alde said no to copper components because of the aluminium heat exchanger. However I think many domestic gas boilers may have aluminium heat exchangers and they seem to be OK on existing pipe work. We really need a comment from Mike the boiler man or another qualified tradesman.

Thanks Tony.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

I think Mike has thrown his teddies out of his bed. He's done it b4 so will probably be back soon to advise ?

47 minutes ago, alias said:

I did fit a SS calorifier at the time.  Alde might have changed their view since, but they are likely to err on the side of caution. 

If aluminium heat exchangers are used in domestic boilers it would suggest that they would be ok, providing a suitable corrosion inhibitor was used. 

35 minutes ago, dor said:

I did fit a SS calorifier at the time.  Alde might have changed their view since, but they are likely to err on the side of caution. 

If aluminium heat exchangers are used in domestic boilers it would suggest that they would be ok, providing a suitable corrosion inhibitor was used. 

and may be a lengths of plastic pipes to electrically isolate the boiler from the copper.

32 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

and may be a lengths of plastic pipes to electrically isolate the boiler from the copper.

I used all Hep2o. I did ask Alde if brass fittings would be an issue and they said that wouldn't be a problem. 

17 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

According to the spiel 409g per hour in continuous use. Is that a lot then? I don’t  know. Bottle of gas 13 kg.£34 ish. Therefore, if I’m correct, continuous burner operation would work out at just over 3 hours running time. Obviously the burner cuts in and out, and not on 24 hours per day. Probably just an hour or so in the mornings. If that! 

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

According to the spiel 409g per hour in continuous use. Is that a lot then? I don’t  know. Bottle of gas 13 kg.£34 ish. Therefore, if I’m correct, continuous burner operation would work out at just over 3 hours running time. Obviously the burner cuts in and out, and not on 24 hours per day. Probably just an hour or so in the mornings. If that! 

Call it 500g per hour (makes the maths easier)

A 13kg cylinder will last 26 hours so running cost is about £1.30 hour,

A boat moored next to us was using between 2 and 3 cylinders per week in the Winter (£70+ per week) so they disconnected it, scrapped it and installed a Morso. Halved their fuel cost to £30 per week

But it does throttle down to 245g/hr, and then isn’t running all the time.

Probably expensive compared to a webasto, but it hasn’t cost me anything in maintenance in 13 years, and for what I use it for it has been ideal.

13 minutes ago, dor said:

But it does throttle down to 245g/hr, and then isn’t running all the time.

Probably expensive compared to a webasto, but it hasn’t cost me anything in maintenance in 13 years, and for what I use it for it has been ideal.

Not at all bad then realy. Best option for the old geezer Martyn then as gas feed already there if he has room for the square box?

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Call it 500g per hour (makes the maths easier)

A 13kg cylinder will last 26 hours so running cost is about £1.30 hour,

A boat moored next to us was using between 2 and 3 cylinders per week in the Winter (£70+ per week) so they disconnected it, scrapped it and installed a Morso. Halved their fuel cost to £30 per week

Thank you.

I was very good at math many moons ago. Just can’t get my head around it now. I get confused. Maybe over thinking it all. 

Just now, Nightwatch said:

Thank you.

I was very good at math many moons ago. Just can’t get my head around it now. I get confused. Maybe over thinking it all. 

I have similar problems and have taken some advice from a very OLD friend.

"It's sometimes better to say nowt and look stupid, than open your mouth and prove it".

There are times that its really difficult.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Not at all bad then realy. Best option for the old geezer Martyn then as gas feed already there if he has room for the square box?

Room is an issue.

Boat was cold this morning even though we have the Morso alight. (We even have a stove top fan).

Not used the boiler for approximately 14 months and flashed it up, lit first time, the and the boat was nice and warm in about 15 minutes. The main issue we have is that we are losing water somewhere. The header needs topping up frequently. I have searched and searched to find where the water is escaping, can’t find a leak anywhere.