What is on your re-occurring to-do list?

Featured Posts

I am about to become a narrowboat owner!

I am also somewhat meticulous with record keeping and planning. I want to know what things do you have on a re-occuring to-do list and how often? Rather than stuff you just deal with when the issue appears. 

So for example, I know blacking is generally every 2 years or so. 

How often for things like engine service? Cleaning out the stove etc? I am sure there are 1000 things I havent thought of or know about.

Polish the outside  brass, daily when dry

Wash the outside, when dirty , but about monthly.

Wax paintwork,   spring and autumn

Re-pack stern gland, about every 5 years

Change oils, after Spring/ Autumn outing

Sweep stove chimney and flue.  Monthly when fire lit. If weather OK.

Deep clean stove.  Annual job when stove let out, in spring.

Water level check of batteries. Monthly

Look at and clean shower pump, Winter job.

Oil door hinges and locks. About every 3 months

Grease rudder bearing, every 3 months.

Clean out the exhaust silencer box, every other year

Sweep engine exhaust pipe and chimney. Every 5 years or when there are too many smuts on the roof.

Clear the moss and mud from the sliding window tracks and the drain groves in all windows.  About every 2 years.

Creosote fenders. Annual winter job.

Hoover inside of Paloma and airdustr pilot gauze, heat  exchanger fins etc.  Spring job.

Etc.

N

• Greenie 1

In additipn to Bengo's list:

Shake fire extinguishers monthly, to prevent the powder compacting, and to ensure they work when needed.

Lightly rub down external wood and add another coat of Le Tonkinous varnish annually.

Clean cratch cover and re-waterproof with Fabsil Gold annually every Spring

Top up fuel tank fully (to prevent condensation on exposed tank walls in cold weather) and empty water tank annually before first freeze, annually at end of Autumn.

Drain sample from bottom of fuel tank, allow to seperate and if water present remove water annually in Spring.

Winterise boat if unused for winter (I turn off water tank and run pump until no water comes out of taps, block vents and use oil filled electric radiators and a dehumidifier as I have a shoreline) annually in Winter.

Edited by cuthound
Phat phingers

Oil and filter changes on engine and gearbox in accordance with manufacturers guidance - we do it every 200hours.

Check cabin bilge for water - every month or so. This is often the first indication of a water leak inside the boat.

Light CH boiler and run for a couple of hours twice a year. We rarely use ours but like to know its in working order.

Check bottom of gas locker for corrosion and paint before it gets too bad. Its a really nasty job to do.

Check condition of fixings for front and rear fenders - ensure that there is a weak link in them.

Touch up paint work along and below gunwhales annually and when blacking done.

Check and clean battery terminals when doing engine service. Bad connections cause all sorts of problems

Check bike tyres are inflated at the beginning of the season - that is if you have one.

Take home and wash mooring ropes once a year.

In the winter swap good mooring ropes for old ones so the good ones are kept in nice condition

The list is endless

Edited by Richard T
  • Greenie 1

Whenever i visit:

check engine bilge

check cabin bilge

check fluid in engine

check heating fluids

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

Shake fire extinguishers monthly, to prevent the powder compacting, and to ensure they work when needed.

not heard of this before but makes sense.... added to my list!