collapsed copper pipe end fitting for shower in springer narrowboat

Featured Posts

Hi, Does any body know the proper name of this copper pipe end fitting as I need to get a new one (and where I could get one) as its collapsed under the pressure of the jubilee hose clip that connects my shower up in narrow boat. The end part is 1cm wide and the pipe is 1.5cm. Any help would be much appreciated as i'm without water at the moment unless I can cut off water to shower somehow. See photo..

Warmly Tom 

20200526_120951.jpg

Edited by Tom llewellyn

That is standard 15mm outside diameter copper pipe. It has a compression olive and back nut on it. If it had a hose pipe with a jubilee clip attached, then that is a bit of a bodge, though it can work, if not tightened too much as you've seen. What is the inside diameter of the hose pipe that was connected? If we know that we can recommend a better fitting.

Jen

I don't think that is a fitting. Looks to me like someone swaged the end of the copper pipe down to 10mm OD. The swaging cracked the copper and it has collapsed.

What is the inside diameter of the pipe you had clipped on there? What type of pipe is it?

1 minute ago, Alastair said:

I don't think that is a fitting. Looks to me like someone swaged the end of the copper pipe down to 10mm OD. The swaging cracked the copper and it has collapsed.

What is the inside diameter of the pipe you had clipped on there? What type of pipe is it?

It does look as if the pipe has been 'squashed down' to assist pushing it into the flexible hose, the flexible hose can then be pushed over the Olive and hose-clamped down. (With the back nut slid up the copper pipe)

If clipping to a copper pipe its bets to fit the (brass)  olive but you wont be bale to get the nut off. You then push the hose over the olive and put the jubilee clip on the pipe behind the olive so the hose can't pull off. I think you could still do that and may be trim the bent pipe back a bit.

I concur with Alan.

If your shower hose is flexible pipe, you can try this:

Get two Stainless Steel jubilee clips.

Very hot water. 

Chamfer inside of hose a little with a sharp knife.

Soak end of hose in hot water to soften it.

Use a large philips screwdriver or similar (warmed up in the water). Put in end of hose, work it round to stretch the hose opening.

Warm up the copper pipe.

Re-warm the hose.

Put the jubilee clips on the pipe.

Work the hose over the pipe end and past the olive - about 1cm more than the combined wide of the clips.

Tighten clips over hose.

Saw the nut off.  It is only there because it was used to compress the olive.

Saw the nut and olive off and use bod's hosetail.

Another way to soften the end of plastic hose is to repeatedly hit the hose with a moderate sized hammer. Lots of rapid blows rather than trying to flatten the hose every time.

Lubricate the inside of the hose with washing up liquid before forcing it over the pipe/hosetail.

N

3 hours ago, Tom llewellyn said:

Thanks everyone for such swift responses. The inside diameter of the hose pipe is 13mm. 'Bodge' job Jen sounds apt as the the hose pipe kept flying off hence why I was tightening it so much

13mm is actually 1/2", The compression hose tail that @Bod links to would be a proper job solution. An easier one to use would be this: https://www.johnguest.com/speedfit/product/10-15-22-28mm-size-fittings/hose-connector/

Speedfit part number NG448. This is a push fit on to the copper pipe. You would need to cut the pipe and remove the damaged bit and the olive bulge and deburr the end. The fitting pushes on. The hose can be fitted with the hot water trick to soften it and fit a jubilee clip too. Ebay.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

3 hours ago, Tom llewellyn said:

Thanks Alastair and Alan. I may well try and get the hose over the olive but i'd need to be able to move the nut back in order to fit a hose clip behind the olive as there isn't much room at all at the moment 

That should not be too much of a problem. The nut should be free-spinning  to engage with whatever fitting was originally there. Others have suggested that the arrangement you inherited was a bodge.

Wire brush what is there at the moment. Vigorously!  Suitably sized spanner on the nut - try to turn it on the pipe. Working up and down should gradually free it. Try to move back along the pipe as you go. It was not a tight fit originally so you are just going back to basics.

Just found this in the garage - OK, different sized pipe but the principle is the same. Originally the nut - just past the olive in your case - was slipped over the undamaged end of the pipe and pushed back by a couple of inches, out of the way.  Then push the olive onto the pipe end - goes on easily since it has not yet been compressed.  Now feed the free end of the pipe into an appropriate fitting - a T-junction in my pic but probably a suitable fitting on the end of your originally fitted shower hose.  Push the pipe firmly/square into the fitting, slide the olive tight to the fitting, slide the nut back to the fitting and, using two spanners, tighten the nut.  This compresses the olive which is why it won't now come off.

If you follow the principle of that process you will see that the nut was originally free turning and just needs to be 'persuaded' to resume free turning.  Once you can move it out of the way you can rejoin the hose remembering to add the jubilee clip before forcing the hose on!!  As a temporary fix!

P1040457.JPG