Getting plans for a quote.

Featured Posts

I'm in Poland and therefore in a slightly different situation from the UK. In order to get an aproximate price for a 40' shell or sailaway, I would have to have Plans, but the only plans I've found cost $300 which if the quote turns out to be overly high and I buy a second hand, the money will go to waste. Does anyone have plans for a 40' cruiser they would like to sell or get a charity donation.

Is this any use? It's a drawing I did in the early stages of my build.

and, the spec

40 foot Cruiser Stern Narrowboat

Shell Specifications

Steel work made from 10mm Base, 6mm Hull sides, 5mm Cabin, 4mm Roof.

• Stern Tube
  • Fender Eyes
  • Rear Sliding Hatch with rear Doors
  • Integral Hand Rail
  • Centre Roof Ring
  • All Rubbing Bars 2” Wide, Welded Top AND Bottom
  • Front Door’s
  • Stainless barrel hinges all round
  • Integral Gas Locker & Integral Diesel Tank
  • Anodes
  • Painted in High build Grey Zinc Base Primer
  • 2 Pack Black on the Hull

boat2.jpg

5 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Is this any use? It's a drawing I did in the early stages of my build.

and, the spec

40 foot Cruiser Stern Narrowboat

Shell Specifications

Steel work made from 10mm Base, 6mm Hull sides, 5mm Cabin, 4mm Roof.

• Stern Tube
  • Fender Eyes
  • Rear Sliding Hatch with rear Doors
  • Integral Hand Rail
  • Centre Roof Ring
  • All Rubbing Bars 2” Wide, Welded Top AND Bottom
  • Front Door’s
  • Stainless barrel hinges all round
  • Integral Gas Locker & Integral Diesel Tank
  • Anodes
  • Painted in High build Grey Zinc Base Primer
  • 2 Pack Black on the Hull

boat2.jpg

Thanks Kendorr, I'm also trying a couple of boat planners from the internet, the steel sizes such as the hull struts, thickness of hull plates are gonna make a big difference to cost. I'm in a bit of a prediciment as I would obviously want to buy a shell from the UK but it would cost another 30% to get it here. I understand 'proper' plans aren't cheap and I will be happy to get some properly drawn up if the cost of the construction and plans is less than buying from the UK. How do you find out? Catch 22 :) 

You don't need detailed plans. The design of the shell on a sailaway will be your chosen builder's standard product. A simple diagram like Kendorr's is fine for planning the general layout. When it comes to the actual fitting out, whoever is doing the work will measure off the as-built shell, rather than relying on theoretical dimensions from drawing.

22 minutes ago, David Mack said:

You don't need detailed plans. The design of the shell on a sailaway will be your chosen builder's standard product. A simple diagram like Kendorr's is fine for planning the general layout. When it comes to the actual fitting out, whoever is doing the work will measure off the as-built shell, rather than relying on theoretical dimensions from drawing.

Hello David, the Polish buiders won't have a standard product as there are no (maybe) narrowboats here, they are skilled in fishing boats etc. but have probably never built a narrowboat, so won't know how much steel, welding or how complicated.

Quite a few narrowboats are built in Poland.

Amber boats and Viking Canal boats both use Polish builders. Nb Stafford was also converted in Poland,  for the owner of Alvecote marina I think.

Amber have gone now , but Viking offer (or did)  the facility to visit their Polish factory, so finding out where that is might get you started.

Beware of post Brexit taxation fun and games when you come to import it to the UK though.

N

22 minutes ago, Dajw said:

Hello David, the Polish buiders won't have a standard product as there are no (maybe) narrowboats here, they are skilled in fishing boats etc. but have probably never built a narrowboat, so won't know how much steel, welding or how complicated.

Yes that is going to be more difficult. I assumed you were going to buy a sailaway from one of the builders who already supply them in the UK.

8 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Amber boats and Viking Canal boats both use Polish builders. Nb Stafford was also converted in Poland,  for the owner of Alvecote marina I think.

Amber have gone now , but Viking offer (or did)  the facility to visit their Polish factory, so finding out where that is might get you started.

Beware of post Brexit taxation fun and games when you come to import it to the UK though.

N

https://vikingcanalboatsltd.com/about-us/

8 minutes ago, BEngo said:

N

Thanks for the leads. Viking looks promising, I'll see if they'll do a sail away.

As BEngo says, careful of taxation. You might have to pay VAT in Poland and also VAT when you import the boat to the UK. Brexit may well complicate things enormously, the Royal Yachting Association know more about this.

6 minutes ago, Bee said:

As BEngo says, careful of taxation. You might have to pay VAT in Poland and also VAT when you import the boat to the UK. Brexit may well complicate things enormously, the Royal Yachting Association know more about this.

I've lived here for 10 years and I'm probably in Poland for good, we've got the canal here, so the boat's for me. I built my house so have the skills to fit it out myself. This is Poland B (the poor half) so I can't really afford a finished boat or a shell at UK prices. As I say I know a few small shipyards which would be the cheapest way of getting the steelwork done. But the plans are the stumbling point to getting a quote. Out of interest does anyone know either how much a proffessional structural hull plan might be or who might be able to do such a thing? 

What sort of style boat are you thinking of? A narrowboat where the canals can take a broader beam would be very restrictive in space inside if there isn't the requirement to fit through a Midlands narrow lock.

Also need to think of the EU Recreational Craft Directive. How is it dealt with in Poland? Are you going to need  a professional to help meet the requirements?

Jen

22 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What sort of style boat are you thinking of? A narrowboat where the canals can take a broader beam would be very restrictive in space inside if there isn't the requirement to fit through a Midlands narrow lock.

Also need to think of the EU Recreational Craft Directive. How is it dealt with in Poland? Are you going to need  a professional to help meet the requirements?

Jen

The maximum width on the trollies is 2.6m so i thought I'd stick to a standard size that would fit in easy with a flat hull that could be taken out forward and I could sell easily in the future. My wife is dealing with the red tape here, believe me they love red tape.

13 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

why on earth would you want to procure a steel boat from a company that needs a plan to work from when there are at least 2 competent workshops churning out boats to an established design and to a good standard?

I'm going to call those two tommorrow but I'm keeping all options open.

3 hours ago, Dajw said:

The maximum width on the trollies is 2.6m so i thought I'd stick to a standard size that would fit in easy with a flat hull that could be taken out forward and I could sell easily in the future. My wife is dealing with the red tape here, believe me they love red tape.

A 7ft / 2.1m wide narrow boat is really too narrow, but it's what we are stuck with. An extra half metre of width could make quite a difference to the spaciousness of the interior layout.

50 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A 7ft / 2.1m wide narrow boat is really too narrow, but it's what we are stuck with. An extra half metre of width could make quite a difference to the spaciousness of the interior layout.

Purely for holidays as it woud be impossible to live in in the winter, minus 20 oC ohhhh.

8 hours ago, Dajw said:

20200427_115200.jpg.70170d793c21be82b3e312f56354bbda.jpg

20200427_115502.jpg

I doubt many/any of us are familiar with these canals. Any chance of a quick description, or some links? Looks fascinating and very well maintained. Shows what a bit of EU money can do. ?

I was living on board when the last proper cold happened in the UK, ten years ago where temperatures dropped to almost the range of a typical Polish winter. Had to get up at 2am each night to stoke up the fire again. Proper levels of insulation to make that comfortable  for an entire winter would have left no room for people inside!

Jen

11 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I doubt many/any of us are familiar with these canals. Any chance of a quick description, or some links? Looks fascinating and very well maintained. Shows what a bit of EU money can do. ?

I was living on board when the last proper cold happened in the UK, ten years ago where temperatures dropped to almost the range of a typical Polish winter. Had to get up at 2am each night to stoke up the fire again. Proper levels of insulation to make that comfortable  for an entire winter would have left no room for people inside!

Jen

I'll take some more photos and write a bit about it soon. 

• Greenie 1