Infringement of human rights...or not?

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is that the number of Surfers or Canoeists ?

Probably the number of idiots that call someone out for doing stuff that the 650 say quite plainly can be done. Total lockdown is not currently in force, and keeping ones distance is. I don't know if you have your shopping delivered, but I'm sure those who do must feel pretty safe, knowing someone else is doing it for them. This is helping them, no doubt, to feel smug and righteous. 

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

. I don't know if you have your shopping delivered, but I'm sure those who do must feel pretty safe, knowing someone else is doing it for them. This is helping them, no doubt, to feel smug and righteous. 

Do you mean that they are feeling that they're being prudent and doing the right thing for themselves and for other people?

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Do you mean that they are feeling that they're being prudent and doing the right thing for themselves and for other people?

I absolutely do support the use of the delivery, especially for the vulnerable. But, I've a feeling that some who have their deliveries forget that, a lot of people still have to place themselves at some risk, no matter what the bloody critics say about going out. It's unavoidable, for some. 

Edited by Higgs

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

More seriously have you seen this in the Guardian?  A broader discussion of how the govt are likely to follow the methods used in Hong Kong and Singapore to get control of the virus, and how it leads to loss of liberty. Here's a snippet:

"Governments know they can pick only two of the following three options: limit deaths, revive the economy by lifting lockdowns, or defend basic freedoms. You only have to look around the world to see they have decided that basic freedoms have to go. They are using surveillance technology to confine carriers of the virus and their contacts to the modern equivalents of the medieval leper colonies or Victorian tuberculosis sanatoriums. Hong Kong enforces home imprisonment, monitored with digital tracking. Singapore is encouraging citizens to download an app that allows the authorities to learn of their contacts, while Taiwan is using mobile phone data to put an “electronic fence” around infected homes."

Its coming here I predict, despite your smug complacency. The price we will have to pay for getting this disease under control.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/28/we-must-take-drastic-action-but-lets-not-turn-into-a-nation-of-little-tyrants

Tha paragraph you have quoted, which whilst appearing in the Guardian, is actually lifted from a much longer article published in the New Statesman by Jeremy Cliffe who is a journalist, not an "expert" and who is expressing an opinion, not researched facts.

As for smugness and complacancy, I am not sure why you have made that accusation. My lack of public anguish may appear smug to you, but I choose to keep any concerns to myself rather than add to the level of scaremongering being spread in this, and other similar threads by some people, and I am certainly not at all complacent about the risks of contracting Covid19. I am observing all the advice to minimise contact etc. by only leaving home once a day for a 50 minute walk along the quiet lanes behind our village, something which I was already doing long before the Covid19 outbreak.

With regard to the Smart phone app being developed at the moment, I will not be affected by it because I do not have a Smart phone, if making that observaion is smug, so be it, but if I did have one, Iit is unlikely that I would acticvate the app, as I cannot see it having any useful purpose, other than to enhance anxiety. Others may disagree but it is my right to decide not to be subjected the sort of draconian measures so sympathetically suggested by you in yout earlier post "...the app needs to report to the govt who them send someone around to enforce your isolation."  If the app lead to immediate testing, it would be a far more acceptable procedure.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Tha paragraph you have quoted, which whilst appearing in the Guardian, is actually lifted from a much longer article published in the New Statesman by Jeremy Cliffe who is a journalist, not an "expert" and who is expressing an opinion, not researched facts.

As for smugness and complacancy, I am not sure why you have made that accusation. My lack of public anguish may appear smug to you, but I choose to keep any concerns to myself rather than add to the level of scaremongering being spread in this, and other similar threads by some people, and I am certainly not at all complacent about the risks of contracting Covid19. I am observing all the advice to minimise contact etc. by only leaving home once a day for a 50 minute walk along the quite lanes behind our village, something which I was already doing long before the Covid19 outbreak.

With regard to the Smart phone app being developed at the moment, I will not be affected by it because I do not have a Smart phone, if making that observaion is smug, so be it, but if I did have one, Iit is unlikely that I would acticvate the app, as I cannot see it having any useful purpose, other than to enhance anxiety. Others may disagree but it is my right to decide not to be subjected the sort of draconian measures so sympathetically suggested by you in yout earlier post "...the app needs to report to the govt who them send someone around to enforce your isolation."  If the app lead to immediate testing, it would be a far more acceptable procedure.

I agree. Its not complacency its about not being a panic stricken headless chicken. Complying with the present rules is the way to go. We all need to do so. We also have a need to go shopping as quite simply its impossible to get deiveries. Sitting at home shaking in our boots that we may be one of the one percent that doesnt survive is stupid when we are all far more than likely to be one of the massive 99 percent that will survive.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Singapore is encouraging citizens to download an app that allows the authorities to learn of their contacts, while Taiwan is using mobile phone data to put an “electronic fence” around infected homes."

Unless I'm mistaken, both of these can easily be circumvented by switching your phone off.