Mechanic Needed

Featured Posts

The red can in pix 1 is a filter, shut off the fuel tap in pix 2, remove filter and see what is in it, if its water and muck wash it out in clean fuel or white spirit.

The fuel pump in pix 3 has a course filter  under the bowl which is held on by the knob and stirrup over the top. Clean it.

Well done. Yes you have found a fuel filter in photo , the red thing. I think it has a bolt holding the red bowl on from the bottom but petrol and fumes are highly flammable so take great care. Fuel tap off, container tight underneath the  filter, undo bolt and drop the lot into the container. Get the container off the boat as fast as possible to minimise the fumes collecting in the bilge. There shoudl be a small filter inside. If its metal of felt you can try cleaning it, if paper and card it really should be replaced but if there is not much dirt in it you can tsts things by leaving teh filter out for a short time. The finger screws on top are for bleeding but a sits petrol I would not bleed.

The domed thing with a steel wire clip and finer nut in the second photo is the lift pump and there shoudl be a metal strainer under the dome. Same precautions re petrol apply.

I know it’s a massive ask in these difficult times and so grateful of all the advice given but I am just rubbish with mechanics and bout to make the situation worse...is there anyone in warkwickshire or near Ventnor marina that would have a look at this for me...I will gladly pay....I really want to get out on the canal during these times just to keep me from loosing my mind

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't Ventnor have a tame mechanic?

Maybe it is easier to sit in front of the computer and ask "will anyone come and fix my boat" rather that walk (or even phone) the marina office and ask if they have a mechanic.

According to their website they do :

Wigrams Turn Marina has onsite engineers available to help with your narrowboat servicing and repair work at Ventnor. This service will need to be prebooked, please contact the marina office (at either Ventnor or Wigrams) for more information and we will be happy to help.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

57 minutes ago, snappytd said:

I know it’s a massive ask in these difficult times and so grateful of all the advice given but I am just rubbish with mechanics and bout to make the situation worse...is there anyone in warkwickshire or near Ventnor marina that would have a look at this for me...I will gladly pay....I really want to get out on the canal during these times just to keep me from loosing my mind

You could join RCR and have 12 months peace of mind with any other problems your new boat might throw at you - they will allow you to join with a pre-existing problem - or at least they used to with a slight additional premium which was less than a 1hr call out charge...………..

I've been a member for years and a couple of vintage engine issues over that time have more than paid for the entire membership - really worth a look

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Just had to correct that for you.??:help:

Sorry but that's not my experience nor something you should have been able to do - please would you alter it and make your point in a different way - I didn't say it nor do I believe it so not funny/helpful.

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think you have already been advised Calcutt Boats, It should not be too hard to pole and pull the boat there. They will probably want it on their works area in the marina so there are no locks. Don't Ventnor have a tame mechanic?

There are three locks

Correct - I mixed up Ventnor and Wigrams

I have to be on Calcutt lane some time in the next week or two, my insurance is already registered with Ventnor Marina

Richard

Edited by RLWP

59 minutes ago, RLWP said:

There are three locks

Correct - I mixed up Ventnor and Wigrams

I have to be on Calcutt lane some time in the next week or two, my insurance is already registered with Ventnor Marina

Richard

Even if it was Wigrams Calcutt would probably work on it (as its probably a very simple job) on the offside of the water point or above the lock moorings so still no locks.

5 minutes ago, snappytd said:

Thanks for all your suggestions got the engine going today with the help of one of my neighbors in the marina....such a great community 

Thanks for coming back and your thanks but whilst we are very happy to try to help we always appreciate knowing what was wrong so it can be added to our pool of knowledge. That way it can perhaps help someone else.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If it has a Ford distributor I seem to remember they had a habit of loosing the contact base plate earth connection.

I can't help thinking I am so much happier working on diesels.

Blocked carburettor jets, manifold air leaks, a myriad low and high tension electrical problems. Not my concern

Mind you, I still have a Bonneville T140E to evict from my unit. Carburettor problems...

Richard

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I can't help thinking I am so much happier working on diesels.

Blocked carburettor jets, manifold air leaks, a myriad low and high tension electrical problems. Not my concern

Mind you, I still have a Bonneville T140E to evict from my unit. Carburettor problems...

Richard

On the other hand, when your BMC A-series won't start, its always the carbytooter or the sparkography that's the problem. 

When I got my first diesel that wouldn't start, I was faintly shocked to realise it had neither!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

On the other hand, when your BMC A-series won't start, its always the carbytooter or the sparkography that's the problem. 

When I got my first diesel that wouldn't start, I was faintly shocked to realise it had neither!

It used to be the points before I eliminated them. SU carbs are pretty tolerant, plus I got rid of one of those

It's usually the damn SU petrol pump

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

It used to be the points before I eliminated them. SU carbs are pretty tolerant, plus I got rid of one of those

It's usually the damn SU petrol pump

You can tell that just by listening....

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

You can tell that just by listening....

Yeah - no rattling from behind the drivers seat

That has also improved since the pump was replaced with one that doesn't use points. Now the most likely reason for not starting is because the six gallon tank is empty

Richard