Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

A friend, working for the German-based Raab Karcher company, passed on these photos from earlier days on the Rhine.  Raab Karcher, following the use of paddle tugs, are said to have been the first to introduce push-tows on the river. Ironically, they are now no longer in water-haulage at all. Even with 1,350 tonners, I was told, it was scarcely profitable, though the financial overheads of a large group (subsequently taken over by an even larger one) may have been part of the calculations.

R Karcher 2.jpg

R Karcher 3.jpg

R Karcher.jpeg

R Karcher 1.jpg

• Greenie 3

On this day in 2016 (#4956)

spacer.png

Flood Damage Elland Bridge C+H Compare #3684 #3709 (2016)

spacer.png

After the Boxing Day floods 2015, the failure of Elland Bridge caused significant local disruption. There was a temporary footbridge over the canal downstream at the next lock and by this day 2006, a new temporary footbridge was being installed alongside the failed bridge.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by PeterScott

The Rhine again. How this can be referred to as "a natural highway" as a British Waterways Chairman did once in a letter, is beyond me. With a roaring current and rocky shallows it is anything but. Between World Wars, then up to 1970, ten pairs of locks were introduced in the upper reaches. The first photo is of my own boat Arthur in the one at Ottmarsheim, the second I filched from the Internet. The third was taken when three vessels, more or less together were overtaking while coming upstream towards us I counted a further 16.

30,000 craft a year travel this way, to keep Switzerland supplied.

Rhine 1.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 23.12.36.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 12.24.24.png

On this day in 2008.

Sharing the King George V Entrance Lock with HMS Exeter:

PICT0327.JPG.d9e9523624574099c330e60d3a6e7dfe.JPG

And later the same day, Bow Locks. Locking down from the tidal Bow Creek to the River Lee Navigation on a high tide. Earlier in the trip we had locked down from the Lee to Bow Creek! PICT0376.JPG.0057ef6ed62d6eb26c64730459e707ab.JPG

Edited by David Mack

On this day 2010 we were in Limerick to watch Northampton Saints play Munster. The Shannon here is tidal and the lock is into the abbey river which bypasses shoals. The moored boats are at Killaloe in a backwater originally part of a canal to Limerick before the big hydro plant was built.

5FF2BD92-414F-4E58-A010-08187937F257.jpeg

88CC79CA-ABB2-48B3-9D31-FC79B2DC635B.jpegWe lost by the last kick of the match our fly half missing a penalty, but a great day anyway.

Edited by Dav and Pen
Content
  • Greenie 1

On 20/01/2021 at 17:47, John Liley said:

A friend, working for the German-based Raab Karcher company, passed on these photos from earlier days on the Rhine.  Raab Karcher, following the use of paddle tugs, are said to have been the first to introduce push-tows on the river. Ironically, they are now no longer in water-haulage at all. Even with 1,350 tonners, I was told, it was scarcely profitable, though the financial overheads of a large group (subsequently taken over by an even larger one) may have been part of the calculations.

R Karcher 1.jpg

The Oscar Huber is part of the German inland shipping museum in Duisburg, and is moored at the entrance to the Ruhrort dock complex. My photos are from 1992.

1992 Duisburg 228 Oskar Huber.jpg

1992 Duisburg 232 Oskar Huber.jpg

On 20/01/2021 at 23:31, John Liley said:

The Rhine again. How this can be referred to as "a natural highway" as a British Waterways Chairman did once in a letter, is beyond me. With a roaring current and rocky shallows it is anything but. Between World Wars, then up to 1970, ten pairs of locks were introduced in the upper reaches. The first photo is of my own boat Arthur in the one at Ottmarsheim, the second I filched from the Internet. The third was taken when three vessels, more or less together were overtaking while coming upstream towards us I counted a further 16.

30,000 craft a year travel this way, to keep Switzerland supplied.

In 2012, we rented a holiday flat overlooking the Rhine at Kestert, in the Rhine Gorge. This was the view from the other side of the road outside the flat.

DSCF7206.jpg

• Greenie 1