Lead Acid battery recycling

Featured Posts

I know this has been covered before but I'm after up to date info :)

I replaced the starter battery this morning and the nice man at Halfords offered to recycle the old one free of charge.

I politely declined his kind offer as I'm sure there are people who will pay me for the privilege.

The question is who are they? Any in the Doncaster/Castleford/Leeds area?

Thank you

Just now, George and Dragon said:

Scrap metal merchants. Almost any of them will give you five or ten quid for a battery. It depends on the weight.

To find one, google is your friend. 

Or Yell.com, e.g. https://www.yell.com/s/scrap+metal+merchants-castleford.html

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I know this has been covered before but I'm after up to date info :)

I replaced the starter battery this morning and the nice man at Halfords offered to recycle the old one free of charge.

I politely declined his kind offer as I'm sure there are people who will pay me for the privilege.

Thank you

Petrol is 6 quid a gallon. Batteries are heavy enough to wrench your back and the cost of driving to a scrappies ain't worth it. Let Halfrauds get rid. 

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Petrol is 6 quid a gallon. Batteries are heavy enough to wrench your back and the cost of driving to a scrappies ain't worth it. Let Halfrauds get rid. 

I'd be driving past, not making a special journey :) And the four leisure batteries are also due to be replaced which might make it more worthwhile 

I took 6 batteries (4 x 110Ah & a couple of car batteries) and some copper pipe, part of an old copper hot water tank an some brass to the scrappy & got over a hundred quid for it.

Too save you a wasted journey (from memory) the scrappy I used required some form of photo ID (passport, phot driving licence) and a utility bill less than 3 months old for proof of address.  Give them a call to see what they want.

They would only pay by either direct bank payment or cheque.  I hate cheques as there is no bank I can pay into for miles, so take bank details as well.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

the scrappy I used required some form of photo ID (passport, phot driving licence) and a utility bill less than 3 months old for proof of address.

Scrappies aren't being awkward, stuff like this is a legal requirement. They are definitely not allowed to pay cash and are definitely required to get ID. The scrappy I took some batts to a few years ago was perfectly happy with just driving licence and bank deets.  Maybe things have been tightened even further now for yours to have needed a utility bill too.

Any scrap lead/acid batteries I have to get rid of go to a charity here that then trade them it at a scrappies. They deal with the transport, ID etc and get some money. Better than Halfords getting the money.

The laws that came in saying scrap yards have to be shown ID and not paying cash is down to the metal and cable theft problem that comes and goes with the rising and falling price of steel, copper and so on. All the stuff they take in and money they give out has to be traceable to someone willing to give a name and address. Makes it trickier to fence stolen metal.

Jen

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Petrol is less than £1.20 a litre here? Wot's a gallon?