ultra violet fly zappers

jenevers

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes.

Commercial ones are replaced every 6 months (No2 Son was a pest controller)

8 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

What Alan said.

Friends have a food store/butchers and I know they have to replace theirs as they lose their effectiveness.

Thanks

My older UV zappers had mini flourescent tubes which definitely needed replacing (one of them actually came with a spare tube).  My latest purchase has LEDs instead of tubes and, so far, its effectiveness had not diminished over time.  

4 hours ago, Aground said:

My older UV zappers had mini flourescent tubes which definitely needed replacing (one of them actually came with a spare tube).  My latest purchase has LEDs instead of tubes and, so far, its effectiveness had not diminished over time.  

Which sort of UV fly killers have you used, the zapper,  chemical, or desiccating variety? My wife hates insects around her, as it seems that even non biting insects bite her but they don’t bother me, so I am looking for a way to keep her bite free. Our present regime of swatting, fly papers and muslin cloth on the kitchen door is only partially effective.

We live near Carcassonne and have suffered from Tiger mozzies for the last two years.  We have not tried the Attractant/Suck-'em-in/Dessicate them variety but when sitting outside the only thing is to cover-up or use DEET insect repellent; UV lights, citronella candles etc. do not work.  At night, while sleeping, the UV electric zappers work moderately well but individual buggers do get in and prefer us to self-immolation.  The plug-in liquid chemical ones do work but who wants to breath that stuff in all night for months on end?  We use them for guests who are only here for a week or two but we have resorted to an over-bed mozzie-net which works a treat.  You have to find whatever works for you.

13 minutes ago, Slim said:

My 10 toes weren't enough

Too quick in quoting me - should be weeks.

A touch of Dianne Abbot !!

According to No2 Son they work at virtually 100% for about 6 months and then the performance tails off quite quickly which is why he replaces them at ~6 months.

Edited by Alan de Enfield