Deano1988

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I used to think that I was fairly fluent in English but "The morse clearly was the regular welsh isn't" doesn't mean anything to me.

Obviously I overestimated my ability in this area.

Don't know about "others" but you are very welcome to help me whenever you want.

By the way, I genuinely didn't understand, I wasn't having a laugh (well I was a bit but only because your post was about communicating clearly).

My post wasn't about communicating clearly it was about communicating at all.

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

My post wasn't about communicating clearly it was about communicating at all.

I've got to give you this, after all I have already said that I didn't understand your post. I thought it was to the effect that one should communicate clearly or not at all. 

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

I've got to give you this, after all I have already said that I didn't understand your post. I thought it was to the effect that one should communicate clearly or not at all. 

English speakers can make sense out of what is written in English as Murflynn has proved with my post.  According to the Office of National Statistics less than 30% of the Welsh can speak Welsh and only <15% can speak, read and write the Language.  So posting in Welsh on a forum (unless it happened to be a forum for Welsh speakers) is IMO as I have said daft or a deliberate attempt to prevent others enjoying the forum.

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

I used to think that I was fairly fluent in English but "The morse clearly was the regular welsh isn't" doesn't mean anything to me.

Obviously I overestimated my ability in this area.

I never said you were thick ......................  not 'alf !!   :rolleyes:

43 minutes ago, Jerra said:

English speakers can make sense out of what is written in English as Murflynn has proved with my post.  According to the Office of National Statistics less than 30% of the Welsh can speak Welsh and only <15% can speak, read and write the Language.  So posting in Welsh on a forum (unless it happened to be a forum for Welsh speakers) is IMO as I have said daft or a deliberate attempt to prevent others enjoying the forum.

I think the whole issue is being blown out of proportion tbh, a couple of members have occasionally posted greetings or wished others happy Christmas etc. In Welsh.

No one has had a conversation in Welsh in the open forum and I agree if that was to happen it could be considered rude or mischievous, assuming it was designed to exclude others.

It's a none issue

Edited by tree monkey

24 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I think the whole issue is being blown out of proportion tbh, a couple of members have occasionally posted greetings or wished others happy Christmas etc. In Welsh.

No one has had a conversation in Welsh in the open forum and I agree if that was to happen it could be considered rude or mischievous, assuming it was designed to exclude others.

It's a none issue

While I basically agree if it is a personal greeting from one welsh speaker to another surely the PM system is for  personal messages (i think the clue is in the name)

23 minutes ago, Jerra said:

While I basically agree if it is a personal greeting from one welsh speaker to another surely the PM system is for  personal messages (i think the clue is in the name)

I understand but it could also be considered someone who is proud of the heritage and the language, just wishing everyone Happy Christmas.

22 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I understand but it could also be considered someone who is proud of the heritage and the language, just wishing everyone Happy Christmas.

That is my point they aren't wishing everybody a Happy Christmas they are wishing a small proportion of the forumites a Happy Christmas.

I am a proud Cumbrian but I don't post everything (for that matter anything) in dialect.

9 minutes ago, Jerra said:

That is my point they aren't wishing everybody a Happy Christmas they are wishing a small proportion of the forumites a Happy Christmas.

I am a proud Cumbrian but I don't post everything (for that matter anything) in dialect.

I think they are but I doubt we are going to agree.

I spent 8 months or so working on the NT brathay estate with one or two proper Cumbrian lads, there were the occasional misunderstandings ;) but they could put up a damn fine fence

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I think they are but I doubt we are going to agree.

I spent 8 months or so working on the NT brathay estate with one or two proper Cumbrian lads, there were the occasional misunderstandings ;) but they could put up a damn fine fence

So they would get "pussen" at times.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I'm proud of my achievements, my parents, my children, my home - I could go on.  .....................  but I don't bring them into my posts unnecessarily.

as I suggested on another thread - let them ask Dan to set up a welsh-speaking sub-section, then they can wallow in their pride as much as they like without alienating English speakers. 

17 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I'm proud of my achievements, my parents, my children, my home - I could go on.  .....................  but I don't bring them into my posts unnecessarily.

as I suggested on another thread - let them ask Dan to set up a welsh-speaking sub-section, then they can wallow in their pride as much as they like without alienating English speakers. 

Genuine question, do you really feel alienated by the occasional use of a foreign language on this forum?

36 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Genuine question, do you really feel alienated by the occasional use of a foreign language on this forum?

I wouldn't say I feel alienated but the thought does go through my mind "what is it they don't want me to know.

I may have had bad experiences with the welsh language which has coloured my views.  An example my brother and I were in a "mini mart" in north wales, when we walked in all we heard was english.  as soon as we opened our mouths all we heard was welsh.

By contrast I recently spent some time on my mates son's croft in the Hebrides.  I remarked on not hearing any gaelic and the reply was "you won't, it is bad manners to use gaelic when there is somebody who doesn't understand it."

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned Welsh. The simplest solution on any internet forum is to accept that most of what people write is drivel. If you don't believe me,read the Brexit thread,or,in fact,this one.

If part of this drivel is written in Welsh (assuming you aren't Welsh), morse (assuming you aren't a lamp) or Cyrillic (assuming you aren't a squirrel),you can save a little time by ignoring it. Just try and remember that it doesn't matter!

Good grief.17 pages in the Express about Harry and wotsername. There's a crisis on,and you lot are mithering about,well,you don't actually know,do you?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I wouldn't say I feel alienated but the thought does go through my mind "what is it they don't want me to know.

I may have had bad experiences with the welsh language which has coloured my views.  An example my brother and I were in a "mini mart" in north wales, when we walked in all we heard was english.  as soon as we opened our mouths all we heard was welsh.

By contrast I recently spent some time on my mates son's croft in the Hebrides.  I remarked on not hearing any gaelic and the reply was "you won't, it is bad manners to use gaelic when there is somebody who doesn't understand it."

exactly. 

..............  and I have had similar experiences in Wales and Scotland.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned Welsh. The simplest solution on any internet forum is to accept that most of what people write is drivel. If you don't believe me,read the Brexit thread,or,in fact,this one.

If part of this drivel is written in Welsh (assuming you aren't Welsh), morse (assuming you aren't a lamp) or Cyrillic (assuming you aren't a squirrel),you can save a little time by ignoring it. Just try and remember that it doesn't matter!

Good grief.17 pages in the Express about Harry and wotsername. There's a crisis on,and you lot are mithering about,well,you don't actually know,do you?

a 'crisis'  ??      WTF?    

the only crisis is the one at the tabloids' editorial offices.