Heating questions

Christine198807

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Christine198807 said:

Thank you It would be cooking, 2 hobs is enough for us as we currently lived on for the last 2-3 years.

OK - maybe start a new thread, but, camping type 'stoves / hobs' are not allowed (BSS)

You will need a proper gas system (which you will be installing for the heating anyway)

Transom mounted gas bottle holder

Piping thru the transom to the kitchen / hob with a branch off to the Propex heater 'on deck'.

You need someone 'competent' (BSS requirement) to install your gas. Competence is normally shown by having suitable qualifications / professional body membership.

Ideally (not legally necessary) you should use a Gas Safe registered engineer.

These engineers are qualified for various work and will have a plastic card (like a driving licence) which shows what they are qualified for, you need a qualification for :

1) LPG

2) Boats

You may find one that is LPG & Caravans,, or LPG & Domestic etc but as you are starting to find out caravans are not the same 'rules' as boats.

Your friend can legally do the work (unless you pay them) but in the event of an accident relating to the gas installation they will have to prove their competence (which may be difficult if they have not proven competent to install a system).

Liveaboard boats come under much stricter requirements as they fall under the GSIUR regulations.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

OK - maybe start a new thread, but, camping type 'stoves / hobs' are not allowed (BSS)

You will need a proper gas system (which you will be installing for the heating anyway)

Transom mounted gas bottle holder

Piping thru the transom to the kitchen / hob with a branch off to the Propex heater 'on deck'.

You need someone 'competent' (BSS requirement) to install your gas. Competence is normally shown by having suitable qualifications / professional body membership.

Ideally (not legally necessary) you should use a Gas Safe registered engineer.

These engineers are qualified for various work and will have a plastic card (like a driving licence) which shows what they are qualified for, you need a qualification for :

1) LPG

2) Boats

You may find one that is LPG & Caravans,, or LPG & Domestic etc but as you are starting to find out caravans are not the same 'rules' as boats.

Your friend can legally do the work (unless you pay them) but in the event of an accident relating to the gas installation they will have to prove their competence (which may be difficult if they have not proven competent to install a system).

Liveaboard boats come under much stricter requirements as they fall under the GSIUR regulations.

Never never would use a camping stove indoors unless I want carbon monoxide poising , but anyways this is an issue for later down the road but many thanks :)

Edited by Christine198807

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Mayland 20 is a small day-boat and only has a 6' 7" or 6' 10" beam, 2' draft and 5' 10" air draft.

Hey finally someone who knows roughly what the air draught is, I've been hunting this for days thank you that made my day. ? 

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Some do and take them out before the BSS examination.

I think they are entering for the annual Darwin Awards.

For certainly they will have valid entry , it's just plan stupid of them.

Your be shocked how many people recommend this when looking for a boat that we liked including a boat broker.

Edited by Christine198807

On 27/11/2019 at 15:03, Mad Harold said:

Been to the boat today to do a few bits and bats.Going tomorrow and although I don't have the tackle to do a video,I will try to take some photos.

Some pictures of the installation.It's mounted on two 4""×4"lumps of fence post Stixalled to the floor and the heater screwed to them so it's nice and secure.I did buy two 90 degree joints for the exhaust and inlet,but the unit still needed to be raised a couple of inches for the exhaust to clear the floor,so to keep the joints to the minimum,the exhaust and inlet are in one piece.I initially had it blowing through the grill in the cupboard door,but it got too hot and  I was concerned about scorching the wood,so now when in use the cupboard door is simply slid open.The bit of duct tube is used when lying on the bunk because it blows onto my face.The isolating switch (picture 6)is on the top left of the picture,but can't be seen very clearly.

20191128_110332.jpg

20191128_110825.jpg

20191128_110915.jpg

20191128_110721.jpg

20191128_110624.jpg

20191128_110526.jpg

20191128_110421.jpg

On 27/11/2019 at 13:00, Alan de Enfield said:

One of the main problems is that as ['Chinese Diesel Heaters'] are designed for automotive use the removal of exhaust gas is not a problem, it just 'escapes' out underneath the caravan / vehicle. Not so easy on a boat where it needs to be correctly piped out thru the boat hull. An additional problem with the supplied exhaust is that it has a small hole in it to allow condensation to drip out, again, being inside a boat means that the Co (deadly Carbon Monoxide) gas gets into your boat.

Seems to me, the safe way to install one of these would be externally. Looking at the Eber marine heating brochure, that's what they show in their installation  example.

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Are those two skinny cables really only held away from the exhaust by a bit of insulating tape stuck to the hull?

Those are the cables that the heater came with.

It's not insulating tape,it's double sided glazing tape that you have to remove with a craft knife.It really does stick.

Was going to use cable clamps,but

there isn't room in the cupboard to swing a hammer to bang the nails in.??I agree it looks naff,before it gets inspected I will epoxy some ply squares to the hull to secure the cables more professionaly.

Edited by Mad Harold

16 hours ago, WotEver said:

Are those two skinny cables really only held away from the exhaust by a bit of insulating tape stuck to the hull?

Things usually fall downwards. Unless the boat is going to Oz.