Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
StationMaster

Denham Deep GU

Featured Posts

The stoppage is likely to last quite a few days, as it will involve putting stop planks in below the lock and draining it completely. What I found intriguing was the sentence " We kindly advise customers to seek an alternative route or avoid the stated Lock whilst repair works are ongoing." What "alternartive" do they suggest? The only one I can think of is via the Thames and Oxford Canal which would take at least a couple of weeks or more. It suggests that the person issuing the notice is totally unaware of where Denham Deep is located.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, David Schweizer said:

The stoppage is likely to last quite a few days, as it will involve putting stop planks in below the lock and draining it completely. What I found intriguing was the sentence " We kindly advise customers to seek an alternative route or avoid the stated Lock whilst repair works are ongoing." What "alternartive" do they suggest? The only one I can think of is via the Thames and Oxford Canal which would take at least a couple of weeks or more. It suggests that the person issuing the notice is totally unaware of where Denham Deep is located.

A lot longer than a couple of weeks due to winter stoppages, however for weekenders it is possible just to head away from the lock. I might hang around Watford for a bit until further info comes forth, as crane out will be better than an (unlikely?) protracted delay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

The only one I can think of is via the Thames and Oxford Canal which would take at least a couple of weeks or more. It suggests that the person issuing the notice is totally unaware of where Denham Deep is located.

Problem with that is Oxford Canal aside, much of Thames is on Reds anyhow and even if it wasnt there are lock closures which prevent you doing this anyhow.

Brentford and GU was my alternative route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StationMaster said:

A lot longer than a couple of weeks due to winter stoppages, however for weekenders it is possible just to head away from the lock. I might hang around Watford for a bit until further info comes forth, as crane out will be better than an (unlikely?) protracted delay.

Your reply has reminded me that there is no road acess to Denham Deep, so they could have logistics problems moving a crane in to lift the gate, unless they resort to more traditional maintenance procedures, when they used A frames over the lock, a Block and Tackle, and alot of men pulling ropes!!

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Your reply has reminded me that there is no road acess to Denham Deep, so they could have logistics problems moving a crane in to lift the gate, unless they resort to more traditional maintenance procedures, when they used A frames over the lock, a Block and Tackle, and alot of men pulling ropes!!

Like they did at Lawton lock on the T&M

DSCF2739small.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to admit a very rough estimation of timescale of closure would be useful from CRT rather than just 'ongoing'

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Like they did at Lawton lock on the T&M

DSCF2739small.jpg

How long did that take!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

Have to admit a very rough estimation of timescale of closure would be useful from CRT rather than just 'ongoing'

Was told this on facebook if it helps-

I'm sitting it out in Rickie; spoke to crt yesterday who said that a bottom panel had become detatched and it needed a dive team to rescue and reattach.  So I'm not planning to reach the fleshpots of Uxbridge before next weekend.... (that's my optimistic view)

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Was told this on facebook if it helps-

I'm sitting it out in Rickie; spoke to crt yesterday who said that a bottom panel had become detatched and it needed a dive team to rescue and reattach.  So I'm not planning to reach the fleshpots of Uxbridge before next weekend.... (that's my optimistic view)

Thought it was caused by the offside gate collar. ?

 

I'll await better info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

Thought it was caused by the offside gate collar. ?

 

I'll await better info!

Me too..😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Your reply has reminded me that there is no road acess to Denham Deep, so they could have logistics problems moving a crane in to lift the gate, unless they resort to more traditional maintenance procedures, when they used A frames over the lock, a Block and Tackle, and alot of men pulling ropes!!

You can't have seen the many vehicles parked beside the lock cottage, along with other junk!

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a small bit of work done by the guy who 'runs' the tea house workshops earlier this year (needed a vice and larger set of mole grips + heat if necessary), whilst the place might look a bit of a mess it is good to find someone who a, knows what they are doing and b, does not charge the earth for a five minute job. Yes you can get vehicles to the lock but doubt a crane with CRT safety assessments.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Historic moored there. Kings something?

Kingsdowne i believe, been a long time since this boat or Baron has been moored at Denham. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BWM said:

You can't have seen the many vehicles parked beside the lock cottage, along with other junk!

I must admit I haven't been down there for quite a few years, and whilst the path from the A40 is probably wide enough for cars, I doubt that it could accomodate a crane lorry, and even les allow sufficient space for it to turn round.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a Hanson gravel contract a few years ago which helped with access to the lock but that has been closed down now. 

As mentioned a contract crane with associated H&S seems unlikely to get in there. 

 

If it's gates off then I think they might need to use more traditional methods. Whether this is feasible is obviously a question in terms of skills and equipment. 

 

At some point those gates do need doing. Bodging is okay for a while but they are going to need replacing. 

 

 

 

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest update from CRT

 

Update on 28/11/2019:

 

Update:

The offside bottom timber heel post has a vertical split and is currently unsafe to operate; therefore, the navigation will remain closed for the time being. 

We are currently reviewing a short term solution to see if we can assist travel for narrowboats through the lock. 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Latest update from CRT

 

Update on 28/11/2019:

 

Update:

The offside bottom timber heel post has a vertical split and is currently unsafe to operate; therefore, the navigation will remain closed for the time being. 

We are currently reviewing a short term solution to see if we can assist travel for narrowboats through the lock. 

 

Hmm, if only boats could go through the other gate 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Latest update from CRT

 

Update on 28/11/2019:

 

Update:

The offside bottom timber heel post has a vertical split and is currently unsafe to operate; therefore, the navigation will remain closed for the time being. 

We are currently reviewing a short term solution to see if we can assist travel for narrowboats through the lock. 

Thanks for the update - had given up on looking at the stoppage notice until Monday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eid said:

 

Hmm, if only boats could go through the other gate 🤔

Unless the gate is in such a state that even a gentle nudge on it could cause a more serious problem... If so why the heck wasn't this identified earlier in the year during work to the other gate! Grrrr...

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StationMaster said:

Thanks for the update - had given up on looking at the stoppage notice until Monday

Your welcome- Im feeling optimistic 😀

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.